If you missed that initial announcement, Sheepo offers up an alternative take on the Metroidvania genre by sacrificing combat and instead focusing on exploration and creature preservation. You play as the titular Sheepo, a shapeshifting sheep-alien (as you do), who must explore the uncharted planet Cebron and collect samples of its living species.
With each egg that you collect, you’ll gain theability to transform into that creature on contact, which in turn will help you explore deeper reaches of the planet – digging, flying and teleporting across an interconnected series of levels, filled with lush landscapes, hidden shrines and old ruins, and strange inhabitants with their own stories to tell. Will you manage to save the creatures and inhabitants of Cebron before its star destroys the planet?
Billed as a pacifist Metroidvania in its press release, the game can be picked up from the eShop for $10.99 / €10.99 / £9.89. If you're interested, we'll leave you with this handy feature list:
- Pacifist Metroidvania platformer: in a charming unique twist to the genre Sheepo contains no combat as such – you’re capturing these creatures to conserve them!
- Tight platforming with silk-smooth controls. Play as both Sheepo, and the variety of creatures you come in contact with. Gameplay remains fresh as you consistently learn the moves of each creature!
- Traverse a sprawling landscape with tons of hidden rooms and characters. Explore old mines, an abandoned mall, lush forests, the dingy sewer system, and much more.
- 75+ hidden feathers to collect (the planet's currency), which can be spent at the last remaining shop in DeadMall.
- Non-linear gameplay. As you explore, discover eggs, and gain more transformations. Sheepo's world quickly opens up to allow you to make your own route -Meet the locals and discover what's happening to planet Cebron.
- Heartwarming, cute aesthetics, along with a whimsical soundtrack to accompany you in your adventures.
- Available in English, German, French, traditional Chinese, and Japanese