The Switch has a decidedly mixed record when it comes to major sports games - we have some darn good ones, some terribly lazy efforts (we're looking at you, EA), and there are also a fair few major titles that skip the system altogether. Well, if you enjoy the thwack of willow on leather and crowds that get increasingly boozed up as the day progresses, there's good news.
Cricket 22 has been announced and is indeed coming to the Switch, which is the positive bit; the slightly bad news is that it's arriving in January 2022, a couple of months after every other version. As a result the Switch version will miss the excitement around the upcoming men's Ashes series, but hopefully it also means a bit of extra time for optimisation and bug squashing. It also means the system will miss out on the pre-release download giving access to the 'nets' mode, which is outlined in the video at the top of the article.
Developed by Big Ant Studios, the series has a decent record of appearing on Nintendo hardware, including the most recent Cricket 19 on Switch, which we thought was pretty decent. It's refreshing that the series isn't annual, so while it's from a smaller team than some sporting behemoths here's hoping that the near three year gap will have served development well. Below is some of the official blurb:
- All-new bowling and fielding controls; whether it’s a feisty fast bouncer, or the satisfying “snap” as you hurl the ball from the infield for a precision run-out, Cricket 22 features refined, tight controls that enable you to play your best game of cricket.
- A deep, narrative-driven career mode; you are in control on and off the field. You manage your training and press conferences, deal with injuries, and decide your path towards international glory!
- It’s the most accessible cricket game yet; New to Cricket? Cricket 22 makes it easier to get into the game than ever before, with a completely overhauled series of tutorials and first-time user experience. Cricket 22 is the most detailed simulation of the sport that Big Ant has ever created, and thanks to these tutorials we’ll have you out there batting and bowling like a pro in no time.
- An all-new commentary team; Cricket 22 brings a star-studded commentary team, featuring Michael Atherton, Ian Healy, Mel Jones, Alison Mitchell and David Gower. Every shot will be called with greater depth and analysis than ever before, and for the first time ever in a sports game, there will be an all-women commentary team, further deepening the representation of women in the Cricket 22 experience.
- The best-looking cricket ever; Cricket 22 takes full advantage of the capabilities of the latest generation of hardware. Not only does the game load with blinding speed, getting you into the action more quickly than ever before, it also includes a full suite of visual updates, including incredible real-time ray tracing elements, providing the most visually realistic game of cricket ever seen.
Are you looking forward to Cricket 22 on Switch?