In just over two months' time, Monkey Ball fans will be reliving the series' glory days with the release of Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania on Switch. The remastered compilation rolls onto Nintendo's platform on 5th October, featuring more than 300 stages from GameCube's Super Monkey Ball and Super Monkey Ball 2, as well as Super Monkey Ball Deluxe.
To gear up for the big day, Sega has shared a new 'Meet the Gang' trailer (see above), and a selection of new screenshots. Before we take a look at those, here's an official rundown of the monkey pals you'll be meeting in the game:
- AiAi – The carefree leader of the monkey gang, AiAi is one smart primate who takes on every challenge that rolls his way! He lives happily with his wife MeeMee and their son Baby on Jungle Island, ready to lead his friends when adventure calls.
- MeeMee – The charming co-leader of the gang, MeeMee is Jungle Island’s kindest soul and the glue that binds the gang together. Mother to Baby and wife to AiAi, Mimi is one tough banana who is always striving to bring happiness to those around her. She loves searching for fresh flowers to take on her adventures.
- Baby – Baby is the coolest monkey around with slick sunglasses and a lightning-fast crawl. Though usually jovial, Baby is known for the occasional epic melt that can be heard from across Jungle Island! He’s very smart for a monkey his age and always willing to help his parents collect every banana and save the day.
- GonGon – When you need extra might and muscle, GonGon is your main gorilla! Though he and AiAi were once rivals, these two best friends now frequently team up together to stop Dr. Bad-Boon’s evil plots. Fast and strong with a heart of gold, GonGon’s body checks have been known to send opponents into orbit!
- Doctor – This mysterious old monkey doesn’t even know his own name – he has amnesia! Despite losing all his old memories, he is always inventing fascinating new contraptions for the monkeys around town. He earned the name “Doctor” out of respect for his intelligence and ingenuity.
- YanYan – A fast and fearless ring-tailed lemur and master of the monkey martial arts, YanYan is a fist full of energy with a colorful style. She’s one of the toughest monkeys this side of Jungle Island and always ready to help her friends on adventures.
And here are those screenshots, giving us a better look at Baby, GonGon and Doctor:
Sega also recently confirmed that the game will run at a lovely 60fps when it arrives on Switch, no doubt pleasing those hoping for perfect performance to help pull off the best banana-fueled speedruns possible.
Looking forward to this one? Let us know in the usual place.