Fans of classic fast-paced FPS games of the '90s are in for a treat as Project Warlock is coming to the Switch on 11th June. The game is a love letter to games such as the DOOM, Duke Nukem, Hexen and Wolfenstein and is the work of Jakub Cisło, a young developer who has been beavering away on the game since he was 17. It's got a warm reception on Steam, so it seems like one to watch out for.
Crunching Koalas are on publishing duties and digital pre-orders are open today. Be sure to check out the gory announcement trailer above.
Here are some more details about this upcoming FPS from the publisher:
The game tells the tale of the Warlock, a mysterious preacher tasked with a quest to rid the world of the invading forces of evil. Diving head-first into an inferno of bullets, claws, and fangs he has to slash and shoot his way through hordes of blood-thirsty demons, un-holy monsters, and deadly machines. Traversing through 60 levels set in 5 distinct domains the player will come across secret areas, ammo caches, hidden buttons, and elevators leading to more danger. It’s crucial to make good use of the 38 guns and 8 spells in the arsenal, choosing the right upgrades to get the most out of each playstyle and developing the character with every fight to bring out his full potential.
Starting work on the game back in high-school, Jakub Cisło, had little experience and even less funding. Thanks to his passion for retro games seeded by his dad; a successful Kickstarter campaign; and talented artists he brought to the team, 4 years later, Project Warlock is launching on consoles to offer a mix of classic 90s action with all the features of a modern shooter in the XXI century.
Key Game Features:
- Unleash your righteous fury by slashing, shooting and casting spells as the Warlock
- Explore over 60 vast levels in five settings, from a frozen Antarctic base to the burning sands of Egypt
- Combat tons of enemies from flying demons to five-story tall robots, splashing walls and floors with their guts and chunks
- Collect and develop your favourite gear and master the vast arsenal of 38 weapons
- Develop your hero the way you like. Upgrade spells and weapons to create your unique character
- Get lost in 62 unique musical tracks, tailored specifically to boost the retro feeling
Let us know if you plan to pick this up next month with a comment below.