Any game inspired by Castlevania and Mega Man X is likely worth a look, and so it is with Timespinner, an 'ode to classic '90s action platformers' which launched last year on other platforms. Happily, it's now been confirmed to arrive on Switch next week (4th June, to be precise).
We first reported on it way back in 2014 when a 3DS version formed part of its successful Kickstarter campaign. Unfortunately that version has bitten the dust, as detailed in a Kickstarter update, with the developer acknowledging that 3DS version was too ambitious to undertake. That's disappointing, of course, but backers of the 3DS version are able to get a copy of the game on an alternative platform of their choosing, including the Switch version, so there shouldn't be too much cause for complaint.
The game itself was well-received when it launched last September and the above trailer shows some enticing Metroidvania gameplay for fans to tuck into. As you might have guessed from the title, it involves some time travelling shenanigans which you use to fox foes and solve puzzles.
Here are just a handful of highlights the official blurb discusses:
- Discover a lovingly-crafted, beautiful pixel art world and uncover a rich story universe
- Explore both the past and present of Lachiem, from grand medieval castles, to sparkling serene lakes, a bustling metropolis and even a space-age laboratory
- Clobber enemies with Magic Orbs which grow in power the more you use them
- Befriend mysterious Familiars and train them to aid you in battle
- Locate hidden areas and treasures through secret walls and platforming puzzles
- Invite a second player to join the adventure by controlling Lunais’ Familiar in local co-op mode
That local co-op sounds interesting, and everything we've seen and heard makes this one to look out for when it launches on Switch next week. It launches on 4th June $19.99.
Were you a backer of the Kickstarter? Have you played this on other platforms? Let us know your thoughts with a comment in the section below for those sorts of things.