Topic: VC Recommendations thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,082

JDesensitized

You're welcome, I hope you have fun.

JDesensitized

wiiplayer26

I put The Dynastic Hero on my list of games to buy

But I'm still open for suggestions.

Should I get Zaxxon when it hits the USA?

Edited on by wiiplayer26

[19:46] wiiplayer26 joined the conversation
[19:47] PhoenixSage: It is teh twenty-sixth wii player. Howdy

"Defend the Underatted, when you know they have nothing wrong with them" Thats my motto.

My official theme song can be found in this video.

http://www.yout...

CanisWolfred

wiiplayer26 wrote:

No to Zaxxon, and I second the Monster World recommendation. Also, when I said the combat was weird, I didn't really mean it was bad, it's just something that tends to confuse a lot of people the first time if they don't know it. I highly recommend Ys Books 1 & 2, but it's not for everybody, I think you should look into the mechanics to see if you'd enjoy it. The only thing I have left to say is don't be fooled into thinking the combat is too simple, it actually has more depth or strategy to it than your usual dungeon crawler.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

wiiplayer26

Mickeymac wrote:

wiiplayer26 wrote:

No to Zaxxon, and I second the Monster World recommendation. Also, when I said the combat was weird, I didn't really mean it was bad, it's just something that tends to confuse a lot of people the first time if they don't know it. I highly recommend Ys Books 1 & 2, but it's not for everybody, I think you should look into the mechanics to see if you'd enjoy it. The only thing I have left to say is don't be fooled into thinking the combat is too simple, it actually has more depth or strategy to it than your usual dungeon crawler.

Ok i'll also think about buying Ys Books 1 & 2. How does the combat work exactly?

Edited on by wiiplayer26

"Defend the Underatted, when you know they have nothing wrong with them" Thats my motto.

wiiplayer26

@Mickeymac

Also you said no to Zaxxon. What is wrong with it?

Adamant

Nothing wrong with Zaxxon. It largely made an impression due to it's graphics (as the name implies, it was the first axonometric game, giving it a 3D look unlike anything ever seen before. Of course, it's not going to look so groundbreaking today, but it's still a solid game. Definitely worth getting.

Edited on by Adamant

Adamant

NotEnoughGolds

wiiplayer26 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

wiiplayer26 wrote:

Ok i'll also think about buying Ys Books 1 & 2. How does the combat work exactly?

You run into the enemy. If you hit the enemy in the back, the enemy takes damage and you take none.
If you charge into an enemy from the front, the enemy will take damage... whether or not you take damage depends on whether you pull back immediately after the attack or not (continuing to plow through the enemy will result in taking damage).
And if an enemy hits you in the back, or hits you while you are not moving, you will take damage and he will take none.

The amount of damage taken/given is dependent on your stats.

In Book II, you will also be able to acquire a fire rod to attack enemies. It just shoots fire as you would expect, and you can get upgrades to it in the form of various statues/idols.

My recommendation definitely goes to Ys Book I & II. It's the best purchase I've made on the Virtual Console.

NotEnoughGolds

panther826

I would like to make a request that most old time nint-8bit players might agree to an old addicting game:

R.C. PRO-AM ( and R.C. Pro-Am 2 )

panther826

Adamant

The Pro Am games are indeed good, but they're also by Rare, and thus won't ever be on the VC.

Adamant

Bassman_Q

Kingbuilder wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Kingbuilder wrote:

Wow! Blaster Master is terrible.

Lolwut? Explain.

I think my problems are with the slow gameplay, and boring color scheme.

I might give it another try later. But for now, I don't think it's amazing.

I completely agree with that. I thought the colors were bland, its gameplay a bit stale, and overall just an unfair game. I never thought I'd say this, but the original Metroid is way better than Blaster Master. And I completely hated Metroid I!

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

CanisWolfred

@Quickman

How is it unfair? Practially every enemy drops health. So long as you're careful, you don't much of an excuse die for at least the first half of the game, excuding the tough-as-nails bosses of course. The only tip I can give you for the latter is get as many weapon power-ups before you go it and don't get hit! Seriously, it doesn't matter if it takes a half an hour to be a boss, so long as you don't get hit, it will happen eventually.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bassman_Q

Mickeymac wrote:

@Quickman

How is it unfair?

Well, if you use up like 3 continues, u have start at the FREAKIN BEGINNING. Of the game! That pissed me off, and I haven't played it since. And the fact that every time you get hit the weapon is decreased in power I thought was kinda dumb.

Bassman_Q

CanisWolfred

Qwikman wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

@Quickman

How is it unfair?

Well, if you use up like 3 continues, u have start at the FREAKIN BEGINNING. Of the game! That pissed me off, and I haven't played it since. And the fact that every time you get hit the weapon is decreased in power I thought was kinda dumb.

You get 5 continues, and there are only 6 or 7 levels. And they take, what, 5, 10, 15 minutes to beat, depending on how lost you get? Trust me, you could have the whole game beat in a single afternoon if you just hunker down and keep at it, instead of quitting so easily.

Now I'll admit, the level-downs do suck, especially during boss fights. They make beating a boss without using a continue pretty much impossible on your first encounter with it. Still, it's better than having no upgrade system at all, and there are plenty of upgrades on the later levels(the first level is incredibly stingey with them for some reason...which is okay, because I cannot beat the first boss without getting hit ). It's also better than losing all of your power-up at at once(see Contra and Mario 1) and being reduced to your standard peashooter that can barely do anything against a sizeable threat. And it's obviously better than beating the whole game on your first try in less than an hour.

Blaster Master isn't really unfair, it's just challenging. It's not the kind of game that will hand you the ending on a silver platter, you gotta work for it. As a fellow Mega Man fan, you should know that that makes it all the more rewarding. C'mon, mac, give it another go. You'll see, it'll be much easier the second time around. Sure, you'll die a lot. Sure you'll probably even gave over a couple times and have to start over, but you'll get better each time and each time you'll get farther than the last. Just don't give up, and eventually you'll succeed.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

wiiplayer26

I'm Looking for a good N64 game.

I have Kirby 64, Mario Golf, Crusin USA, StarFox 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Mario Kart 64.

All help would be appreciated.

(BTW if anyone can I would also like to find a nice wiiware game priced at 1000 points.)

CanisWolfred

wiiplayer26 wrote:

I'm Looking for a good N64 game.

I have Kirby 64, Mario Golf, Crusin USA, StarFox 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Mario Kart 64.

All help would be appreciated.

(BTW if anyone can I would also like to find a nice wiiware game priced at 1000 points.)

I don't see F-Zero X or Wave Race 64 on your list. Lets fix that shall we?

As for good 1000 point games:

Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Castlevania ReBirth
Contra ReBirth
Bomberman Blast
Tetris Party
Swords & Soldiers
Blaster Master: Overdrive

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

wiiplayer26

Mickeymac wrote:

I don't see F-Zero X or Wave Race 64 on your list. Lets fix that shall we?

I'm getting quite sick of VC racing games (I have 3) I only have room for 1 more racing game on my 8 gig SD Card. Which one do you think i should get?

Edited on by wiiplayer26

wiiplayer26

Mickeymac wrote:

As for good 1000 point games:

Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Castlevania ReBirth
Contra ReBirth
Bomberman Blast
Tetris Party
Swords & Soldiers
Blaster Master: Overdrive

Any more you might recommend? I'll try Blaster Master: Overdrive if I ever pick up and beat the first one.

Bassman_Q

I'm looking at ActRaiser and considering to buy that. I'm also considering Castlevania 3, as I've never played a Castlevania game before. Which one is less challenging and which one is more fun?

Bassman_Q

Kingbuilder

I'd get ActRaiser, then Super Castlevania IV when you get the chance.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic