Forums

Topic: VC games in 480p?

Posts 1 to 4 of 4

romulux

bit of a boring technical question-

i had my wii hooked up to an hdtv for the first time a while back and tried out 480p with newer games. the tv has a display that indicates what resolution it's receiving; it changed from 480i to 480p when i made the change in the wii's settings, just as you'd expect. then, i tried playing virtual console games the tv's display still indicated that it was recieving a 480p signal.

i expected the resolution to drop back to 480i the moment i began playing older games, but somehow the wii continues to output a 480p signal. obviously these games weren't coded in 480p, so it's not truly going to look like 480p, but maybe the wii has some ability to deinterlace the old games before outputting them? from nintendo's site-

"Some Virtual Console games default to displaying 240 lines of video. Some HD TV's are unable to display a signal with only 240 lines. Try the steps below to set the Wii to output 480 lines of video"

i'm not literate in this technical stuff, but that sounds to me like as if they're saying you can display these games in 480p. anyone know what the deal is with this?

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

romulux

i dug up some info if anyone is interested-

apparently VC games, n64 especially, do have some graphical upgrades. nintendo 64 games are known to output in 480p; older vc games may just be 240p, which is automatically doubled up to 480 by your tv. at any rate, you'll wind up with a signal that your tv interprets as 480p. not a big deal, but still kind of cool; it may be enough to get me to buy majora's mask a second time.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Rapadash6

All VC games with the exception of Neo Geo titles output in 480p (at least in NTSC regions).

Future Wii purchases:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid: Other M
Zelda Wii
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Sin and Punishment 2

ETLN

None of the PAL titles I have seem to output at 480p, with the exception of the TG16 games though. N64, Neo Geo and Megadrive don't seem to from the titles I've purchased. I would have liked the N64 PAL releases to though.

ETLN

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.