Forums

Topic: GoldenEye Discussion Thread (OMG OMG OMG)

Posts 481 to 500 of 1,080

hulklol123456789

Well COD black ops is also coming... I weill get Goldeneye of course, but some people maybe will preffer to have COD in HD than goldeneye on the Wii. Anyways for any Wii owner that is looking for a great FPS, that have split screen and online multiplayer, he or she will definitive buy these one!

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

romulux

Oregano wrote:

I think it has no chance of matching the original

funny, i've been playing through the original to make the wait easier and it's absolutely not as great as i remembered. it's not one of those timeless classics that'll always be what you remembered it being every time you boot it up. it's more along the lines of ocarina of time, where it's remembered more for it's importance and impact rather than how fun it is to play today. looking objectively at how good the new dam level looks, i think it's better than the original. there's a lot more to do and see, and i see a lot of what made the original fun still there. maybe it won't be nearly as important of a game, but i'm definitely expecting it to be funner to play than the original is these days.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Oregano

I wasn't referring to quality, but to sales. Goldeneye sold like 5 million on the N64...

I think people are underestimating the Bond brand name though, QoS sold loads despite being rubbish and in the long run the Wii version was the most successful. That's without mentioning the Goldeneye brand.

EDIT: it also depends on reviews as well though.... if the game somehow gets scores in the 90s(which it won't, even if it's brilliant) then the sales would likely be much higher.

Edited on by Oregano

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

romulux

ah, duh, yeah i agree with you then. i do expect it to sell well for a 3rd party wii game, but there's not much chance of it becoming a generation defining phenomenon like the original.

romulux

i finished a run through the original and i've got to say, the "sacrilege" business is nonsense. the game needed a remake badly. the graphics obviously don't hold up, but the worst problems are all with the gameplay; it's extremely cheap. you constantly get shot through walls and hills, come under fire from enemies that are invisible behind a wall of n64 fog (anyone who's passed cradle on 00 will know what i'm talking about, with the very first guard blasting half your health away before he's even been rendered by the game), guards spawn right behind you in a room you just cleared, appearing out of nowhere without even having opened the door, and having your shooting interrupted for an entire second when you get hit is also really annoying. bond may have fathered the FPS genre but i don't know of many games that kept that mechanic.

i remember having fun with the challenge as a kid because i didn't know any better, but now i couldn't bring myself to pass every level on 00 or unlock every cheat because it often felt too tedious and unrewarding. it was a great game but i doubt any kids today growing up on call of duty are going to place any importance on it at all. at the rate it's aging it's not going to remain a classic throughout another generation or two, to say the least, so maybe giving it a little boost isn't such a bad idea. the level designs, guns and objectives are still great, so keeping them while updating the gameplay seems like a better idea than ever to me. i feel the same way about the ocarina of time 3DS remake. sometimes updating classic games is the only way to keep them relevant outside of the generation that grew up playing them.

seriously, if you have the original cart try a few levels. it'll let you approach the new game without having to hold it to the original every step of the way.

EDIT: apparently amazon is now including a DVD of goldeneye when you buy the game. good deal...

Edited on by romulux

Oregano

Well I think they don't really have to worry about spoilers considering the age of the story and it definitely allows them to show more of the game. I'm sick of games where we only see one tiny bit beforehand.

FFIV DS did the same thing though, the intro movie spoilt most of the plot!

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

hulklol123456789

Great video, im really impressed of how much work is take in just the motion of he characters in certain part of the game. Im really amazed with these game, I hope it to be as good as it looks.

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

romulux

Oregano wrote:

they don't really have to worry about spoilers considering the age of the story

yeah, but part of the fun of reimagining the story is seeing how they reimagined it. i'm not too bummed about it though, it looks a lot more dramatic than the "go down the ladder backwards and win" fight of the original.

here's some more new/oldish stuff that turned up today:

• Siberia level is quite tough if you ignore stealth
  • Mario Club visited the dev studio several times to check on the accessibility and controls
  • a lot of focus testing @ Eurocom
  • 3 control types (classic, pointer, beginners), 5 sensitivity levels + custom sensitivity for pointer aiming
  • there's an EMP hitting right when Bond reaches Severnaya. Bond's smartphone is already prepared to work around it
  • engine evolved from Dead Space: Extraction
  • The new tank will be a prototype, not any old war relic
  • shoot down helicopters in the tank
  • You go to the Barcelona dance club to meet Valentin. Your contact is Agent García.
  • extended introduction scene with no weapon firing and you'll even have Craig saying "I owe you one" in Spanish
  • right after the Valentin scene the action kicks in, complete with a surprise
  • Multiplayer: Proximity Mines come with one of the sniper layouts
  • In melee mode, you can make your hands and arms bigger
  • No exact recreations of levels from N64 game
  • Online mode will have 10 MP maps, unlockable weapon layouts and a ranking system

november is taking forever.

Marvelousmoo

I know! I pre-ordered it, since there really is no other game coming out soon that looked as good. This is going to be a nice election day for me!

Marvelousmoo

Oregano

It's odd that NOE are doing the interviews... but cool!

romulux

eurocom is based in england, so it makes sense.

Oregano

romulux wrote:

eurocom is based in england, so it makes sense.

Yah, they're like half an hour away from me... just odd to see NOE actually doing something.

Edited on by Oregano

romulux

here's a gamespot video discussing the game a little. one of the guys repeatedly says it feels "very heavily" like the original, just with modern graphics and enhancements, which is honestly the best thing i could have heard. http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/jamesbondbloodstone/video...

IGN have a final copy of the game and talked about it in a webcast thing... and they also talked about a whole lot of other irrelevant things in between every sentence about the game, so there really wasn't much of interest there. basically a really annoying guy who hasn't played it craps on everything about it while the guy who actually did play it defends it as being a pretty good game. the "greedy activision" subject came up, and it was the opinion of the player that rare's possession of the original may have actually saved the game from being the cheap cash in that people feared, leading instead to a unique remake that stands on it's own.

Oregano

There's a Goldeneye special Nintendo TV on the European Nintendo channel with some sweet footage that's not been posted anywhere else(unless it's on ONM, they're who do the feature).

Deviant_Mugen

Now that I have some money coming in from serving on a jury, I think I'm going to pre-order both GoldenEye and DKC Returns. November looks to be one hell of a month for gaming...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

romulux

here's a positive impression from a little while ago that i missed. http://www.themoderndaypirates.com/pirates/2010/10/nycc-hand-...

one thing i wish someone would ask about is whether the loadouts can be disabled for splitscreen multiplayer. part of what made the original so endlessly fun was the random nature of starting near or far from the best gun or the body armor and scrambling to find those things before the other players did. in fact, that struggle to get the best weapon first is the defining quality of goldeneye's mulitplayer to me. it's not really as fun when everyone already starts off with the gun they want, even less so when they use that same gun in every match (getting stuck with the klobb is part of the fun, dammit). it also takes the fairness out of the game since some people will be leveled higher than others and have better gear and perks, while the communist system of the original started you all off equally with your bare hands.

they put the classic health system in single player, so they seem aware that the original mechanics are still important to people but with all the talk emphasizing splitscreen i'm sure we would have heard if you could play classic style by now.

Chrono_Cross

Is GameStop having a preorder bonus for GoldenEye?

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Marvelousmoo

Yah, its a mode of gameplay called invisibility mode, but the mode will be available to everybody at the beginning of next year, so it doesn't really matter. Best Buy also has tag mode, which in my opinion looks more fun, but that also is available in 2011. If you are pre-ordering the gold classic controller bundle, you get some other mode that isn't interesting at all.

Marvelousmoo

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.