Forums

Topic: Will Wii U take off this winter season?

Posts 261 to 280 of 327

rallydefault

uptownsoul wrote:

How do pc's (which I agree beat out any console) prove anything about any console?

What do you mean?

rallydefault

skywake

uptownsoul wrote:

Sorry I misquoted @RallyDefault so I'm reporting my stats with correct quote.

"...using the reviews and statistics so many of you just LOVE to cite, Nintendo is always and historically the highest-scoring first-party entity." - @RallyDefault  Oh really?!?!  Well on PS3 there are 47games (some 1st party, some 3rd, all playable on ps3) that rated 90+ from meticritic(a game review consolidation site).  47 games in 7 years of ps3 which comes to 6.7 games per year that had 90+ consolidated score or higher, playable on the ps3.  

360 had 48 games in 8years which comes to 6 games per year at 90+ rating.

The Wii had 14 games in 7 years which comes out to 2 90+ rated games per year.

The Wii U has zero games rated 90+ .

So @RallyDefault you were saying about highest rated games?

Statement: "using the reviews and statistics so many of you just LOVE to cite, Nintendo is always and historically the highest-scoring first-party entity"

Statistics, highest rated games "of all time" listed by developer first and third party
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/al...
#1 Rockstar
#2 Nintendo
#3 Nintendo
#4 Neversoft
#5 Rockstar
#6 Valve
#7 2D Boy
#8 Irrational Games
#9 Naughty Dog
#10 Rocksteady

all time top scores going back further than metacritic. Metacritic stops at ~2005, these guys go back to the mid 90s
http://www.gamerankings.com/
#1 Nintendo
#2 Nintendo
#3 Nintendo
#4 Rockstar
#5 Namco
#6 Rockstar
#7 Nintendo
#8 Naughty Dog
#9 Valve
#10 Retro Studios

Checkmate

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kkslider5552000

I'm just here to point out that World of Goo being that critically acclaimed makes me happy.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

OptometristLime

rallydefault wrote:

banacheck wrote:

If PC gaming was taking off i don't think we would see Diablo III & many other PC exclusives coming to consoles, [simplified PC] please let use know when you've built a PS4 or any other console for that matter, because sorry your never going to do it with off the shelf PC parts.

@banacheck
... lol

Don't look now, but consoles ARE made out of PC components. Rut roh, eh? You don't build your own rigs, do you? Some of the CPU/GPU might be under an exclusive name or reformatting for the console it's in, but don't be fooled: it's basically the same exact thing. Blizzard is bringing Diablo III to PS4 to make more money. You don't think 3.5 million copies sold on PC in 24 hours is impressive? Most console games that are considered successes rejoice if they sell more than 1 million copies. Diablo III is the fastest-selling PC game of all time - they did more than well, but they also want more money. It's not a "sign" of anything, my friend, it's just a company being a company. The more platforms or shelves your stuff is on, the better chance you have at making sales.

To recap, Diablo 3 coming to PS3 is like crumbs from the king's table falling to the... peasants?
A terrible analogy, but people are taking this debate so serious. o.o

IMO the overwhelming success of Blizzard's IP's has prompted a one-off diversion to console. Of course it's not the first time something like that has happened, but it is a rarity this gen. Certain genres have not (ever) fared well on console; it really is an apples to oranges debate, but the pears only see in envious shades of green.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

SCRAPPER392

I see where this is going... Game formats are pretty flexible if you haven't noticed.
Diablo III on PS3/4 and PC. With all this talk of games on different platforms, it doesn't really matter as long as it plays the game.
They figured out how to get Doom on the SNES if I recall.
The Wii U is capable of getting basically any 8th gen game, and that means it will probably be getting ports of 8th gen multiplats all generation.

As far as I'm concerned, Wii U has the GamePad, Wii remotes, and can run 8th gen games(based on COD: Ghosts) at full 1080p @ 60Hz. That should be more than enough until 4k gets more popular. Even then 4K TVs upscale with up to 90% accuracy so it still looks good.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

fredcaster

I went round a big shopping center the other day and the computer shops were trying really hard to make the U look attractive. Unfortunately, with such a slim number of released games, they decided to fill a shelf or two with nintendo download cards. Now I know that the big N sees this as a key feature -download games from yesteryear; pay for game which you have fond memories of- but it does not make for quality shelf space. It doesn't make the system look attractive neither does it draw attention to it. I don't know if the U will take off this winter but I feel the shops are doing their best with what there is on offer.

fredcaster

rallydefault

@skywake

Thank you, kind sir.

And to everyone else: Again, I never said the other first parties (or even third parties, for that matter) DON'T have any good games, I was just saying that, throughout Nintendo's long history (longer than any other first party, really ... except for maybe Sega? I guess they don't count anymore because they don't put out hardware?.), they've had more time and more chances to produce amazing games. And, as most will admit even without facts and statistics (though @Skywake just provided those to back this statement up), Nintendo's first-party games do tend to be quite good more often than the other first parties' games. In relation to the thread, I used this statement to explain why I felt comfortable with my Wii U purchase and why I believe, with all of Nintendo's upcoming first-party titles, that the Wii U is certainly going to see better days very soon.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

yeah you have to be incredibly skeptical to not think you're gonna have some fun times with a major Nintendo console (though some vs. a ton is an entirely different subject for too many reasons for me to bother explaining). Like even IF Wii U ends up as a Nintendo and indie box, you'd have to play a ton more games than I do for that to really make the console bad in the long run. Like I've buried the 360 in the past but that doesn't mean there aren't quite a lot of games I enjoy on that console.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

fredcaster wrote:

I went round a big shopping center the other day and the computer shops were trying really hard to make the U look attractive. Unfortunately, with such a slim number of released games, they decided to fill a shelf or two with nintendo download cards. Now I know that the big N sees this as a key feature -download games from yesteryear; pay for game which you have fond memories of- but it does not make for quality shelf space. It doesn't make the system look attractive neither does it draw attention to it. I don't know if the U will take off this winter but I feel the shops are doing their best with what there is on offer.

I'm not complaining

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MAB

@skywake Yeah the biggest problem I'm gonna have with the WiiU is finding the time to play all these awesome games. For example, I'm playing Giana Sisters while waiting for Blacklist to download and quick bursts of DuckTales, also still playing Monster Hunter online. Soon I will be juggling Wind Waker, AC4, Watch Dogs, Donkey Kong, Sonic LW, Mario World, bloody heaps of cool indie eShop stuff. Then it will be 2014 and I will have a massive backloggery of shame... I definitely won't have time for a PSone

MAB

Ryno

@MadAussieBloke: But... but you don't have a FPS on your list?

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

MAB

@Ryno FPS? yeah could say my WiiU has a Fully Packed Schedule

MAB

shingi_70

The Wii U trailer has made me bellieve it will do okay.

TBH all this did was make me wish that Nintendo games came with soundtracks or Nintendo used itunes.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

banacheck

Some of the CPU/GPU might be under an exclusive name or reformatting for the console it's in, but don't be fooled:

I agree in the past, game consoles were more custom and piecemeal: a little IBM here, some AMD there, a tiny bit of Nvidia. Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Wii U, it's AMD has put significant legwork in these consoles. But it still takes years of development with the manufacturer, Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo, and i'm sorry thay are not the same with a exclusive name as you put it, lol.

it really is an apples to oranges debate, but the pears only see in envious shades of green.

To recap, console is king & PC gamers have to beg to get certain games on there platform, if console players where peasants it would be the other way around. Diablo2 is better than 3, and lets not forget the DRM online only in the PC version.

banacheck

SCRAPPER392

I don't even see how anyone can PC game. I haven't played PC since I was 7. I understand PC versions are generally better, but they will always be built around consoles, because that's where the market is.

If PC didn't exist as a gaming platform, we would get the PC games on gaming systems, no doubt. I think PC gaming is on it's way out.

Game developers seriously can't enjoy selling their games for almost nothing on Steam, can they?

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

rallydefault

@banacheck

I'm sorry, I really don't understand your response. The PS3 definitely had a unique architecture to it, but we all saw how that panned out early in the console's life. Fewer games and it took Sony forever to catch up and start recouping their losses. Nowadays, especially with the upcoming consoles, the "stuff" inside your console is pretty much the exact same stuff inside a PC that you can build yourself. That was my point - I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing with me lol

@SCAR392

I tend to sympathize with you and I hate it when the other posters gang up on you and say hurtful things, but I need to respectfully disagree with what you said here. PC gaming is gaining momentum - more developers are totally going out their way to advertise their PC versions and get more people excited. PC games like Dota 2 and League of Legends are breaking records left and right - LoL has something like 30 million registered accounts, and Dota 2 had over 3 million unique players actually playing in matches on their servers last month. World of Warcraft - well, we don't even need to go there. They still have 7 million accounts, which is WAY down from the 12 million they had just a couple years ago. Diablo III sold over 12 million copies when it released, only on PC. Back in 2012 EA announced that it sold over 100 million copies of its PC The Sims series, from Sims 1 through Sims 3.

PC gaming isn't going anywhere, soon. There are tons of PC gamers out there - you just won't find many on a Nintendo forum or even IGN forums, as they tend to frequent places like Tom's and PC Gamer.

rallydefault

shingi_70

Not really about the Wii U but its intresting on how the other guys are taking ques from Nintendo. (though honestly its more of copying twitter/facebook).with taking it a bit further.(though I could be wrong.) The Xbox One is going from a traditional friends system to a Miiverse style twitter follower as well as each user having their own channel.

It's worth mentioning that there will be a new follow / follower mode when it comes to friends etc. Think twitter, and you get how this works. This basically means you can follow 1,000 players, and have unlimited followers, doing away with the 100 limit of the Xbox 360. A welcome relief for many.

As well as a less graphical version of Wara Wara plaza through a simple trending menu

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

rallydefault

@Sony_70

Miiverse is really a wonderful thing, and it's nice to see it being replicated on the other consoles (imitation is the sincerest form of admiration). I also like this because it's another step away from all this big social networking stuff that I hate so much. I'd be more than happy to buy an Xbone to use a social service entirely focused on the gaming community rather than tap into Twitter.

rallydefault

shingi_70

rallydefault wrote:

@Sony_70

Miiverse is really a wonderful thing, and it's nice to see it being replicated on the other consoles (imitation is the sincerest form of admiration). I also like this because it's another step away from all this big social networking stuff that I hate so much. I'd be more than happy to buy an Xbone to use a social service entirely focused on the gaming community rather than tap into Twitter.

I think the Xbox One plans to both offering its own Miiverse service while giving the option to plug into other networks. Its like how miiverse web lets you share to twitter.

They haven't given that many details on how its going to work yet. I'm guessing were getting that either next month or november.

-Every Gamer has there own channel where they can post their Video,Screenshots, and probably comments, as well as what games they've played, what they're doing or if their streaming over twitch.
-You can take other people's videos and add them to your channel.
-Every Game has its own channel and Game developers will probably have more options like Miiverse.
-If your content is popular enough it can be put on other channels.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a509673/gamescom-2013-e...

I would say Miiverse has completely changed the way we look at games.

WAT!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.