Forums

Topic: Wii U is better than people think

Posts 221 to 240 of 242

diego_vizia

In terms of graphics, Xenoblade Chronicles X is pretty damn impressive, though it's capped at 30 FPS. Bayonetta 2 plays fluidly at 60 FPS all the time, and still has very good graphics.

But putting graphics aside, the Wii U is best console to ever exist for a very simple reason: It has a secondary screen, that can act as inventory management, constant map viewing, etc.. It was a revolutionary idea that people and developers didn't understand, because fine cuisine is not for everybody. Give them bananas.

diego_vizia

1UP_MARIO

@diego_vizia I’m glad your enjoying the Wii u. It wasn’t for everybody but it was for you.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

rockodoodle

diego_vizia wrote:

In terms of graphics, Xenoblade Chronicles X is pretty damn impressive, though it's capped at 30 FPS. Bayonetta 2 plays fluidly at 60 FPS all the time, and still has very good graphics.

But putting graphics aside, the Wii U is best console to ever exist for a very simple reason: It has a secondary screen, that can act as inventory management, constant map viewing, etc.. It was a revolutionary idea that people and developers didn't understand, because fine cuisine is not for everybody. Give them bananas.

The WiiU will always have a place in my heart, and so will the 3ds.

rockodoodle

jedgamesguy

@rockodoodle I enjoyed the Wii U but by no means it was a masterpiece. I agree that Xenoblade X was a miracle, and that it had no place running on that console, but again, it's not the best thing to ever exist. I had that thing as a child. It was a really good console. Good games! But not a masterpiece.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

DenDen

Wii U is my second favorite Nintendo Console not gonna lie.
Miiverse is still something I miss Dailey.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Zeldafan79

Yes it was better than people give it credit for. I'm of the older crowd and I've been there for the worst of the worst gaming consoles and i can tell you there's been far bigger disasters. What about sega CD, Saturn, 32X or Atari Jaguar?

Heck even the Dreamcast which was definitely a confirmed flop. It killed Sega's console market for crying out loud! Yeah i know it has it's fanbase but honestly all people ever talk about with that one is Sonic adventure and Shenmue. It lasted barely over a year and was quickly dropped.

The Wii U hung in there for 5 whole years which btw is pretty standard for Nintendo home consoles anyway. I don't see what the big deal is. So it sold less than expected. It had a good run and i don't regret buying it one bit!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

rockodoodle

@TheJGG I think it had a lot of character and charm. It was unfortunately outdated before it was released, suffered from horrible marketing and didn’t have the killer app close enough to launch to gain traction. It got me back into gaming after a 20 year drought.

rockodoodle

jedgamesguy

@rockodoodle Really? In any case that's one positive to take away. The GamePad was fun and all but it had zero major contributions to games apart from the stuff in Mario U and 3D World.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

rockodoodle

@TheJGG Nintendo Land, Madden, Zombie U, Rayman.... there’s at least a few more. Plus, I loved how you could play n game pad whilst others watched TV.

rockodoodle

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike wrote:

So in regards the game comparison, I made a chart showing which IPs are on the two consoles:

So right now as far as IPs go, the Switch is only missing the following:

2D Zelda
2D Metroid
Paper Mario
Mario & Luigi
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Wario
Star Fox
F-Zero

Whereas the Wii U is missing the following:
2D Zelda
Main series Pokemon
Main series Kirby
2D Metroid
3D Metroid
Main series Animal Crossing
Main series Fire Emblem
Mario & Luigi
Luigi's Mansion
F-Zero

And remember, the Wii U is dead so it's not filling any more of those lineup holes, the Switch still has at least 2-3 more years to fill its holes, and some of them most likely will be filled. Most likely we can expect the following additional games before the end of the Switch's life:

At least 1 more 2D Mario game, possibly also a Mario Maker game
At least 1 more 3D Mario game
At least 1 2D Zelda game
At least 1 more 3D Zelda game
At least 1 more Mario Kart game
At least 1 more Pokemon game (other than the upcoming 2019 game)
At least 1 more Kirby game
At least 1 more Fire Emblem game
At least 1 Paper Mario game and/or Mario & Luigi game

And that's being conservative, there's probably going to be more than even that.

So yeah, the Switch's lineup definitely looks better.

Just came across this old post I made in this thread back in 2018. Since it's been 3 years later, let's revisit it, shall we? Here's a direct comparison for each IP on the Wii U vs. the Switch:

2D Mario:
Wii U: NSMBU, Super Mario Maker
Switch: NSMBU Deluxe, Super Mario Maker 2

Both console essentially have the same types of games, 1 NSMB game and 1 Mario Maker game. But the Switch's NSMB game is a port of the Wii U's so the Switch does not have an original NSMB game.

Winner: Wii U

3D Mario:
Wii U: Super Mario 3D World
Switch: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario 3D All Stars, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

The Wii U just has 1 linear 3D Mario and no sandbox Mario game of any kind. While the Switch has 3 (even though 2 of them are ports) and offers a healthy mix of linear and sandbox gameplay. This one isn't even a contest.

Winner: Switch

2D Zelda:
Wii U: nothing
Switch: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

You typically don't see a lot of 2D Zelda on console, but the Switch at least has some kind of 2D Zelda, even if it's just a remake. The Wii U doesn't have anything.

3D Zelda:
Wii U: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Hyrule Warriors, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Switch: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (future release), Breath of the Wild sequel (future release)

This one's a bit tenuous because there's multiple Zelda games on the horizon, and potentially more unannounced for the 35th anniversary. For right now, the Wii U is doing better, but the Switch should overtake the Wii U soon.

Winner: Wii U for now, Switch in a year or two

Pokemon:
Wii U: Pokemon Rumble U, Pokken Tournament
Switch: Pokken Tournament DX, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, New Pokemon Snap (future release), Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl (future release), Pokemon Legends Arceus (future release), Detective Pikachu 2 (future release)

Say what you will about how controversial some of these games are, at least the Switch actually had Pokemon games. The Wii U only got 2 spinoffs. Could you honestly say you'd rather have the likes of Rumble U and Pokken Tournament over all of what the Switch has gotten? I don't think anyone can make that argument.

Mario Kart:
Wii U: Mario Kart 8
Switch: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Kart: Home Circuit

Probably one of the biggest sore points in the Switch's lineup, the Switch has no original Mario Kart game, it has a port and an AR gimmick. If a proper Mario Kart 9 or a Mario Kart World or Nintendo Kart or something comes to the Switch, this might tilt in the Switch's favor, but this is something the Wii U currently has that the Switch doesn't.

Smash Bros:
Wii U: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Switch: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Technically this is a tie because both consoles got a Smash game, but the Switch got a much more ambitious Smash game that has been supported with DLC for 3 years. So I'm going to call that a tiebreaker.

Splatoon:
Wii U: Splatoon
Switch: Splatoon 2, Splatoon 3 (future release)

The plucky paint based shooter has really established itself as a major pillar of Nintendo's lineup now, and it shows with the Switch getting not one, but two main series entries.

Animal Crossing:
Wii U: Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
Switch: Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Do I really need to explain this one? New Horizons is actually a new entry, and an extremely popular one at that. Amiibo Festival is a cheap, cash grabby spinoff. This one should be a no brainer.

Fire Emblem:
Wii U: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Switch: Fire Emblem Warriors, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

Another situation where the Wii U didn't even get a main series game.

Xenoblade Chronicles:
Wii U: Xenoblade Chronicles X
Switch: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

Both main entries in the Xenoblade are on the Switch, while the Wii U gets some kind of side story or spinoff (not terribly familiar with Xenoblade, so IDK where exactly this stands). And there's a very real possibility X gets ported in the future, putting the entirety of the series on the Switch.

Kirby:
Wii U: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Switch: Kirby Star Allies

Life hasn't been good for console Kirby games in quite some time, but again, at least the Switch has a main entry. The Wii U just got a spinoff.

Mario Sports
Wii U: Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
Switch: Mario Tennis Aces, Mario Golf: Super Rush

Switch breaks the tie by Mario Golf: Super Rush's announcement.

Luigi's Mansion:
Switch: Luigi's Mansion 3

A clear cut winner here, by virtue of the Switch actually getting a Luigi's Mansion game.

Mario Party:
Wii U: Mario Party 10
Switch: Super Mario Party

Don't really know too much about Mario Party, but I guess they're both main entries?

Winner: tie

Yoshi:
Wii U: Yoshi's Woolly World
Switch: Yoshi's Crafted World

Both consoles got a 2D Yoshi game developed by Good Feel. And while a lot of people do like Woolly World better, that's more subjective than say, Smash Ultimate getting 2 Fighters Passes as opposed to Smash U getting 1, so I can't really break the tie this time.

Winner: Tie

Paper Mario:
Wii U: Paper Mario: Color Splash
Switch: Paper Mario: The Origami Kind

Both consoles got a main series game (and fairly underwhelming ones at that), nothing to break the tie here.

Winner: Tie

Donkey Kong
Wii U: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Switch: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Both of them have the same game, but on the Switch it is a port and not an original entry. If the rumors of a new DK are true, this flips to Switch, but for now, you have to give it to the Wii U.

2D Metroid:
Switch: nothing

2D Metroid is another IP that really isn't big on consoles, and neither have one. There's rumors of a 2D Metroid coming soon to Switch, but until that materializes, I can't give Switch the edge.

Winner: neither

3D Metroid:
Switch: Metroid Prime 4 (future release)

Unlike 2D, 3D Metroid does have a confirmed new entry, albeit one that is releasing God knows when. It could be pushed to the next console or cancelled, but they seem very intent on releasing this on the Switch so most likely worst case scenario is a BoTW situation and I'm going to count it.

Mario & Luigi:

Probably dead at this point given AlphaDream's bankruptcy, but it was alive when the Wii U was, so still counting it.

Pikmin:
Wii U: Pikmin 3
Switch: Pikmin 3 Deluxe

The whole world is wondering what is happening with Pikmin 4 and Nintendo's been silent on it for years, so I'm leaving it off the list until it materializes. As is, Switch just has a Wii U port.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong:
Wii U: Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars

This IP appears to have fallen off the face of the earth to the point where I'm wondering if it's even alive anymore. The Wii U entry is the last one we've seen.

Captain Toad:
Wii U: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Switch: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Tough to say if this will turn into a series, but there are rumors of a second entry coming. That second entry would put the Switch over the top, but for now all the Switch has is the Wii U port.

Wario:
Wii U: Game & Wario

Even if Game & Wario isn't quite considered a Warioware title, there's been nothing yet for Wario on the Switch, so Wii U still has the edge.

Star Fox:
Wii U: Star Fox Zero

Now personally I love Starlink and it's exactly what I wanted out of a Star Fox game, but it's not actually a Star Fox game. So Zero is the only Star Fox we've gotten in quite some time.

F-Zero:

I'm not an F-Zero fan, but I really have to feel for the people that are. Being an F-Zero fan is pain right now.

Other entries:
Wii U: Nintendo Land, Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club, Devil's Third
Switch: 1-2 Switch, ARMS, Daemon x Machina, Nintendo Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, Clubhouse Games

Other assorted games that I'm not certain will be running franchises. The Switch has more of them as you can see.

Total:
Wii U: 10.5
Switch: 14.5

Wii U missing: 2D Zelda, main series Pokemon, main series Animal Crossing, main series Kirby, 2D Metroid, 3D Metroid, main series Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi, new main series Wario, F-Zero
Switch missing: new main series 2D Zelda, new main series Mario Kart, new main series DK, 2D Metroid, Mario & Luigi, new main series Pikmin, Mario Vs. DK, new main series Captain Toad, Wario, Star Fox, F-Zero

It's a lot closer than I would've thought, but the Switch is definitely better and offers a lot more to a variety of IPs. And if the rumors for certain games end up true (Zelda collection, DK, 2D Metroid, Captain Toad 2), it's about to get a lot more lopsided in the Switch's favor. So yeah, IDK how you can look at the Wii U and think it has a better lineup. Even with all of the ports and remakes, it's still doing more than the Wii U is doing.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Xyphon22

rockodoodle wrote:

@TheJGG Nintendo Land, Madden, Zombie U, Rayman.... there’s at least a few more. Plus, I loved how you could play n game pad whilst others watched TV.

Exactly. I have a number of games on my PS3 that I want to play, but the Wii U ruined me for regular gaming. I find it nearly impossible to go back to having to play on the TV. I loved the Wii U and now love the Switch because I always play while having sports or something that I don't need to pay super close attention to on the TV in the background.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

TheFox

@Bolt_Strike As far as Star Fox, I'd say the Switch is the winner because having nothing is better than Star Fox Zero. Although if you count it as a Star Fox game, I absolutely loved Star Fox Guard. So I guess I'll have to overlook Zero and still call Wii U the winner.

TheFox

Bolt_Strike

@TheFox I'm overlooking quality in this case because it's subjective, I'm just looking at which ones have main entries, which ones have ports or remakes, and which ones have nothing, which is a lot more objectively measurable. As I said, I like Starlink: Battle for Atlas and it's exactly what I wanted out of a Star Fox game (but at the same time, I'm also not a Star Fox fan, so I may not be the best judge of what Star Fox should and shouldn't be), but it's not a Star Fox game, it's a 3rd party game that has a Star Fox promotional tie-in, so I didn't count it.

At any rate, the results are pretty clear: the Switch lineup is clearly better, but there are still some IPs that are better represented on the Wii U than the Switch.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Matt_Barber

If you were to just completely forget about who published them and purely evaluate them as Star Fox games, I'm pretty sure most people would go with Starlink as the better of the two. I'd even do that, and I'm one of the few that actually liked Star Fox Zero. Throwing in Guard on the Wii U side is a bit of a leveler, although that doesn't really feel much like a Star Fox game even though it's got the official stamp of one.

On the whole though, I'd be very much inclined to stick up for the first party library of the Wii U as being highly underrated. The Switch only really beats it by virtue of all the games that were ported over.

Matt_Barber

Bolt_Strike

@Matt_Barber Again though, I didn't go by quality because it's subjective. In terms of quantity though, even when you filter out all of the ports, the Switch still has more to offer. The Switch has a sandbox Mario, several main series Pokemon games, a main series Animal Crossing game, a main series Kirby game, there's at least one Metroid coming (and probably several more unannounced), and Luigi's Mansion. There's some pretty glaring omissions on that list which really hamper the Wii U's lineup.

Bolt_Strike

Matt_Barber

@Bolt_Strike I don't think I can honestly count it as much of a black mark against the Wii U that it didn't get Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Fire Emblem (although TMS is a truly awesome game) when all three were getting excellent releases for the 3DS at the time and are, by and large, series that are better suited towards handheld platforms. Mind you, that's another reason why the Switch is awesome, in that it's effectively replaced both.

Also, a lot of the other gaps disappear if you count in the 30-odd Wii to Wii U ports that were sold via the eShop, or just the backwards compatibility in general. Subjectively there are a lot of nitpicks to be had about them and their lack of enhancements, but they're worth considering if you're looking at it purely objectively.

Matt_Barber

Bolt_Strike

@Matt Barber No, that's a double standard. If you're counting the Wii ports on Wii U, you have to count the Wii U ports on Switch and that gives the Switch almost no gaps. As for Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, the only one you could really excuse is Pokemon since Game Freak never really developed for console until they were forced to with the Switch. The presence of handheld entries hadn't stopped Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem from doubling up with console releases as well. You could say that Switch is worse than 3DS + Wii U, and that's definitely valid, but that's a completely different argument. As a console, the Wii U dropped the ball with multiple IPs that saw entries both before it on the Wii and after it on the Switch.

Bolt_Strike

Matt_Barber

@Bolt_Strike Yeah, point taken on the ports. Still, there are a heck of a lot more Wii games that you can play on the Wii U than there are Wii U games that you can play on the Switch, and I'd think that that has to count for something.

Also, it's hard to leave the 3DS out when it's presumably the main reason that the Wii U didn't get those games. The developers were spread thin at the time tended to follow the money with the games that could have been made for either.

Anyway, regardless of how you set the rules, I'd agree that the Switch always wins. That it's replaced two distinct machines and doesn't have any backwards compatibility are just a good part of why that's the case.

Matt_Barber

Muh-ario

There was definitely fun to be had with the Wii U, but the slow game production and asking price paled in comparison to 3DS at the time.

Muh-ario

LuigiTheGreenFire

The Wii U still has merit today. With the Wii Shop closing in early 2019, it's Nintendo's premiere Virtual Console platform.

The 3DS and New 3DS may have Virtual Console, but it pales in comparison to the Wii U's lineup.

And of course there are still some games (first-party and otherwise) still exclusive to the Wii U. Granted, they don't seem to be a strong line-up of games. But they do exist. At this point, the only Nintendo titles from Wii U I see getting ported to the Switch are the Zelda HD releases.

Nintendo Land, Game and Wario, and some other games seem too dependent on the GamePad to port over to Wii U.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic