Forums

Topic: Wii U is better than people think

Posts 201 to 220 of 242

Darknyht

@puNINTENDed It funny, now that I have owned a Switch for a few months. I expected this system with all these games to play, and I did find them. However, the majority of them are still shovelware, indie games, and remakes of old stuff. There are very few new IPs on the system and even Nintendo seems to be mostly capitalizing on their own back catalog.

Knock the Wii U for all the reasons it deserves, but the Switch isn't that different a beast. I just witnessed everyone including Nintendo making a huge deal over the fact that a 2 year old game made in Unity was released on the console (Cuphead). It's a great game, but I would rather see something new on the system instead of all the PC Indie ports.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

rallydefault

@Darknyht
You're kidding, right?

"Nintendo seems to be mostly capitalizing on their own back catalog."

Please explore that factually. Put Wii U ports on one side and new Switch 1st-party games on the other. Go on, let's see it.

(By the by - I LOVE my Wii U. I mostly hang out in the Switch forums nowadays, but Wii U seriously rocks. Just need to call out ridiculous statements, though.)

rallydefault

marck13

Personally I love the Wii U! I think it was simply put TOO MUCH THAT YOU COULD DO WITH IT - from drawing to miiverse, asynchronous gameplay, streaming Apps, TV-sharing etc. - FOR NORMAL CONSOLE GAMERS.

And then I believe Nintendo didn't do enough (or to late) to appeal to the school kids who expected more realistic graphics and hack and slay games. I doubt there had been many school yards (except from Japan maybe) where the Wii U was called out as the coolest console.

Just my two cents

marck13

3DS Friend Code: 0619-6350-2310 | Nintendo Network ID: marck13

Darknyht

@rallydefault Ok, let's compare the Switch games with over 1 million sold.

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Retread)
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (All Smash games combined into a retread)
4. Breath of the Wild (Wii U game ported to Switch)
5. Pokemon: Let's Go (Retread of first Pokemon game)
6. Splatoon 2
7. Super Mario Party (a new game, but still same game, different title/gimmick)
8. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Plus Ultra EX alpha)... (Wii U port)
9. 1-2-Switch
10. Mario Tennis Aces (The game Wii U Mario Tennis was supposed to be)
11. Kirby Star Allies
12. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U Port)
13. Arms
14. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Oops doesn't count, Ubisoft made it)
15. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
16. Octopath Traveler (Square-Enix riffing off their 16-bit era)
17. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U Port)
18. Pokken Tournament DX (Wii U Port)
19. Yoshi's Crafted World
20. Nintendo Labo Toy Con 01
21. Enter the Gungeon (Indie port of a 2016 XBO Game, released in 2017)

So 10 ports (or just fresh editions of regular retreads) to 8 original from my perspective. So Nintendo is still leaning heavily on back catalogue to meet sales, and for the most part most of the third party/indie titles are doing similar. They are banking on the novelty of "Hey, I can play Skyrim (which I already played 400+ hours on multiple systems) on the go now" more than they are banking on new and interesting projects.

But why blame them, they are making bank with their strategy. I am just disappointed by the lack of interesting "new".

Edited on by Darknyht

Darknyht

rhyeee3216

@Darknyht breath of the wild was not a port it was released the same day as the switch it went on both systems lmaaaoo and all the ports have sold wayyy better then the actual wii u games when they came out so theirs that

rhyeee3216

rhyeee3216

but i heard great things about the wii u i just skipped it only games i would've bought would've been the zelda hd remasters and pokken the wii u didn't have great 3rd party support like the switch.

rhyeee3216

Grumblevolcano

@Darknyht Well that's one of the big mistakes the Wii U made, instead of heavily relying on the back catalog you had game droughts instead. I'd go as far as saying the first half of 2019 for Switch was a big mistake too, should've had something like this on the Nintendo system exclusives front on Switch:
January - NSMBU Deluxe, Travis Strikes Again
February - Pikmin 3
March - Yoshi's Crafted World
April - Labo Toy-Con 04, BoxBoy + BoxGirl
May - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Wonderful 101
June - Cadence of Hyrule, Super Mario Maker 2

But instead the first half of this year was very weak on the Nintendo system exclusives front for Switch, having to instead rely on 3rd party multiplatform games to get by.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

@Darknyht
You are cherry picking and moving the goal posts, but hey - it's the internet, so that's the name of the game. Your parentheticals are ridiculous, too, man. Talk about lack of respect for some of these devs. Come on. Octopath as simply a "riff" on their 16-bit era? Octopath is one of the best RPGs I've played in years, "riff" or not. And can you play it on your Wii U?

I think a lot of devs would take issue with your sweeping application of "retread" to things like Smash and Pokémon: Let's Go and even Mario Tennis (????). I mean, have you ever read articles on how hard these people work? Have you read the stuff on how much of his life Sakurai sacrifices to make Smash games for us? Yea. Walk up to him and tell him Smash Ultimate is just a "retread." Try walking up to one of those devs, after they've spent months or years of insane hours programming a NEW game, and say their game is a "retread." Another example of why the gaming community is at such a low point when it comes to social dynamics. No respect or clue for the work that actually goes into this stuff.

For anybody who actually cares about having a straight comparison, here are the facts. Please feel free to add, but from memory, here are the actual major Wii U ports (meaning EXACT same game, perhaps just visual tweaks) now on Switch. These are either Nintendo developed/published or using Nintendo IP:
-Breath of the Wild
-Mario Kart 8
-Bayonetta collection
-Pokken Tournament
-Tropical Freeze
-Super Mario Brothers U (new character added I think, but we'll keep it here)
-Hyrule Warriors

-Captain Toad is iffy because they added new levels and a new cooperative mode, I believe. In my eyes, that is a new game. If it has levels I can't play on the Wii U, then it's new for the Switch. That's my belief, and that's the respect I pay to the devs if I choose to buy the game because of it.

So, the NEW first-party titles (either Nintendo-developed/published or collaborative with Nintendo IP, just like previous list) on Switch that you CANNOT play on Wii U (also feel free to add, I'm sure I'm missing some):
-Smash Ultimate
-Sushi Strikers
-Pokémon: Let's Go
-ARMS
-1-2 Switch
-Splatoon 2
-Fire Emblem Warriors
-Snipperclips
-Mario Odyssey
-Mario Aces
-Yoshi Crafted World
-Kirby Star Allies
-Mario Party
-Labo variations
-Mario Maker 2 (very soon)
-Mario +Rabbids

You tell me which list is bigger. I included Mario Maker 2 as it's this month, but I didn't choose to include the new Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Maaryotyme

@rallydefault both great consoles.
Captain toad is the same on both

Wii u has the 4 3d world levels and better controls

Switch has the 4 odyssey levels then added co op and now has paid dlc.

3ds has this title too but no dlc for it which is sad.

Maaryotyme

PCkid

Here are the actual major Wii U ports :

-Breath of the Wild
-Mario Kart 8
-Bayonetta 1
-Bayonetta 2
-Pokken Tournament
-Tropical Freeze
-Super Mario Brothers U
-Hyrule Warriors
-Captain Toad
-Lego City Undercover
-Fast Racing Neo

Here the WiiU Exclusives not ported :

-Super Mario 3D World
-Xenoblade Chronicles X
-Super Mario Maker
-Super SmashBros for Wii U
-The Legend of Zelda Windwaker HD
-The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD
-Project Zero V
-Starfox Zero
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions
-Wii Party U
-Yoshi's Wooly World
-Splatoon
-Mario Party 10
-Animal Crossing Festival
-The Wonderful 101
-Zombi U
-Art Academy
-Pikmin 3
-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
-Sonic Boom
-Kirby Rainbow Curse
-Nintendoland
-Wii Sports Club
-Sonic Lost World
-Paper Mario Color Spash
-Ninja Gaiden Razor's Edge
-Mario Tennis Ultra Smash
-Mario and Sonic OG Sotchi 2014
-Mario and Sonic OG Rio 2016
-Game and Wario
-Devil's Third

PCkid

1UP_MARIO

Sounds like a good list of games

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Darknyht

@rallydefault There is no moving the goalposts, the truth is roughly half the major selling games on Switch come from the past. My statement was that Nintendo (and everyone else) was relying heavily on their back catalog, then pointed to the fact that roughly 50% of their best selling games are ports or regular rehashes of annual franchises. Just look at the list of games below and tell me that the console isn't seeing a lot of ports being celebrated as something great to get by Nintendo.

Payday 2,
Diablo III,
Doom,
Wolfenstein,
Skyrim,
Bayonetta 1 & 2,
Rocket League,
Resident Evil Revelations Collection
L.A. Noire,
Pokken Tournament,
Rayman Legends,
Minecraft,
Ultra Street Fighter II
Dark Souls
The World Ends With You
Resident Evil Origins Collection
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Dragon's Dogma
Assassin's Creed III
Saint's Row III
Final Fantasy X/X2-HD,
Final Fantasy XII
Hyrule Warriors,
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Undertale,
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Darknyht

MaseSco

You forgot Mario Kart 8

MaseSco

Darknyht

@MaseSco Yeah, and I can add Resident Evil 5 and 6, Collection of Mana, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Spyro Reignited Triology, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Dragon Quest XI, Elder Scrolls: Blades, Panzer Dragoon, Alien: Isolation, Witcher 3, Trials of Mana to that list after E3.

But, this is a trend that started with the Wii U for Nintendo. Because there were such long software droughts, the company had to sell and celebrate Virtual Console and remake releases like they were these amazing events. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy classic games. But the problem is their new console seems to heavily rely on them and it's only the second year of its life.

Darknyht

MaseSco

@Darknyht You're not wrong on either paragraph too. I do think that it started when the GameCube flunked and to cover development costs of some titles, they ported over to Wii games like Pikmin, P2, a Metroid game or two and maybe some others. Capcom naturally ported the RE games across too. So the trend was there. I'm just surprised that they released Wii VC on Wii U instead of HD'ing them.

MaseSco

bestfancharles72

@Grumblevolcano my Nintendo Network ID is wellspring969 and my Switch friend code is SW-8016-1421-3828. Add me.

bestfancharles72

Switch Friend Code: SW-8016-1421-3828 | 3DS Friend Code: 2938-6688-6641 | My Nintendo: mvowin5477 | Nintendo Network ID: wellspring969

ThanosReXXX

Hey, @Eel, @Octane Seems like we've got ourselves another spam bot here. The comment right before mine...

EDIT:
Aaannndd he's gone. Thanks, guys.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

RTX_GAMER

Well I completely agree with this, but CyberPunk is just not going to get launch on wii.

RTX_GAMER

Dogorilla

Dang I was really excited to play Cyberpunk 2077 on my Wii

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic