Forums

Topic: What is next gen ?

Posts 141 to 160 of 194

AlexSays

SCAR392 wrote:

If you go and buy all the similar parts in the PS4 "off the shelf", all you would need is the PS4 OS. You can technically have a PS4 without ever even looking at a PS4.

I really wish we could get you to post this on a gaming site with a larger population. I might even pay you..

Ah well, not much to talk about since we're just going back to your 'I hate Sony for this unfounded reason' rants. Looks like we're done here.

Untitled

Bye thread

AlexSays

banacheck

PS4 is basically PC parts put together for you with the PS4 OS installed, while Xbox One has custom parts only available for Xbox One.

Sony uses custom parts only available to Sony by Sony themselves, every console does this fact. Again you cannot buy whats inside the PS4, but AMD will be selling there APU but both Sony's & Microsoft APU are based off that same APU.

If you go and buy all the similar parts in the PS4 "off the shelf", all you would need is the PS4 OS. You can technically have a PS4 without ever even looking at a PS4.

OMG this is the most stupid comment i've ever come across on the internet, this is almost unbelievable.

Edited on by banacheck

banacheck

SCRAPPER392

banacheck wrote:

PS4 is basically PC parts put together for you with the PS4 OS installed, while Xbox One has custom parts only available for Xbox One.

Sony uses custom parts only available to Sony by Sony themselves, every console does this fact. Again you cannot buy whats inside the PS4, but AMD will be selling there APU but both Sony's & Microsoft APU are based off that same APU.

OMG this is the most stupid comment i've ever come across on the internet, this is almost unbelievable.

Doesn't matter. You'll defend Sony no matter what.
I've said plenty of things on this forum that are true, and they're still considered false statements. It just proves that even if one is right, it won't matter if another does not understand.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

KAHN

i'm just sitting here with a bag of pretzels, constantly refreshing the page . please, let the show go on! @SCAR392 , thank you, those were the greatest laughs i've had in a long time!

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

Chrono_Cross

OptometristLime wrote:

Untitled
This is a completely protocol leak of logic, nothing the army can't handle.

We're going to get you out of here.

You are fantastic.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

KingDunsparce

KAHN wrote:

i'm just sitting here with a bag of pretzels, constantly refreshing the page . please, let the show go on! @SCAR392 , thank you, those were the greatest laughs i've had in a long time!

You too?

"I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ―Cave Johnson
Join the Chit-Chat Crew! :P

3DS Friend Code: 2938-6384-0441 | Nintendo Network ID: Pikminsi

shingi_70

The Wii U is current Gen as its the first of the 8th generation of consoles.

In the end who cares I see games this fall I want from all three.

and than Next Year

So I say screw all this antagonistic hate and debates on hardware. It doesn't matter if your blood runs White, Blue, or Green. What matter is the games and all three will have great games either way.

@AlexSays loves Sony and Kaz Hari gifs and will be getting a PS4 which is awesome because it looks great, and infamous looks fun
@SCAR392 loves Nintendo and the Wii U so much that he sometimes makes somewhat dubious claims, but that's Okay because X looks really good for an open world game,
and I'm a Microsoft guy loves Halo and is perpetually disappointed by Rareware, but it looks like were going to good games using their properites starting KI.

Untitled

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Jaz007

Sony_70 wrote:

The Wii U is current Gen as its the first of the 8th generation of consoles.

In the end who cares I see games this fall I want from all three.

and than Next Year

So I say screw all this antagonistic hate and debates on hardware. It doesn't matter if your blood runs White, Blue, or Green. What matter is the games and all three will have great games either way.

@AlexSays loves Sony and Kaz Hari gifs and will be getting a PS4 which is awesome because it looks great, and infamous looks fun
@SCAR392 loves Nintendo and the Wii U so much that he sometimes makes somewhat dubious claims, but that's Okay because X looks really good for an open world game,
and I'm a Microsoft guy loves Halo and is perpetually disappointed by Rareware, but it looks like were going to good games using their properites starting KI.

Untitled

How does an exclusive game for a console make dubious claims about the console okay? This does not compute.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

SCRAPPER392

EDIT: If I get an Xbox One, I'll most likely get Final Fantasy XV as well as X. I think X is better as a traditional RPG.
FF turned into an obstacle course RGP movie game. There's still things I like from FF, like the more realistic hit boxes, but X looks like the better game to me.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

KAHN

Pikminsi wrote:

KAHN wrote:

You too?

please, this is more entertaining than gaming itself

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

skywake

AlexSays wrote:

If I didn't say anything, there would be nothing for you to refute. Explain that paradox. lol. Anyways, I said exactly what I said, the way some people think in here could inhibit the progress of video games. Be my guest and draw a greater meaning of that, imagine us having an argument in which you just yell something about men and straws, and contemplate the ending where we log off and see no differently. Let me know how that goes. lol

I don't care about your point, I care about my point which you agreed with. Technology enhances multiple aspects of a video game. My initial post referred to the industry and its entire existence, yet you're telling me how games wouldn't be dramatically different between the PS4 and Wii U. That's great, I don't care.

If you're going to ridicule my post, at least read it a couple times to make sure you know what you're refuting. At first I thought you misquoted me because this is such a tangent to my original point. I clearly said 'some of us don't want just a novelty factor'. Never did I say that had no value whatsoever, I was defending the understated importance of technology as a whole throughout the history of video games.

Van Gogh also wasn't a video game developer. There's a slight difference there with respect to dependence on technology.

Can I just say that you should probably go back and read your own post before you try to defend it. When you did your "I'm not arguing with people in this thread I'm making a point about their train of thought" bit I couldn't help but have a go at it. It's either saying nothing, because that's what a debate/argument with a person always is, or it was a way to announce a strawman. Now what is a strawman since you seem to have no idea. A strawman is an argument that you create to attack that's easy to take down but mostly because it isn't the one owned by the people you are arguing with.

Basically when you said that this "ideology" of gimmicks over horsepower would have meant we'd be still playing PONG. Nobody here is saying they want to play nothing more advanced than PONG. When I said that games like Portal and The Last of Us wouldn't have been improved significantly with extra horsepower you tried to pretend that I would have been happy with The Last of Us on the PS2. If you read the first post where I responded to you you might actually notice that my complaint was that you were having a go at people for saying that the PS4/XBone only offered more power. My only argument was that people weren't therefore saying power was valueless and were instead saying that power wasn't everything.

My Van Gogh point you really did try hard to brush over as you have my entire argument about artistic talent. The advent of coloured paints and flat canvases advanced that medium significantly and the advancements beyond that in tools available to artists hasn't moved it that much further. I was simply looking at video game devs as artists in the same way. All of these consoles are simply new tools which these "game artists" can use to create games.

That toolkit includes "gimmicks" like four players and analogue sticks on the N64, the second screen on the DS, dualshock, Kinect, streetpass, smartglass and the Wii U GamePad. It also includes more CPU and GPU power that has allowed more effects, better physics, better AI, parallax, more parallax, more colours, bigger sprites, more sprites, faster sprites, distorted sprites, large 3D worlds, more interactivity and so on. All three of the "next-gen" consoles, which are called so because of a coincidence of timing, provide new tools. As of yet I haven't seen anything produced that I would call a "next-gen" game if "last-gen" has to include everything that appeared on the PS3/360.

Also as far as "holding back the industry" with the idea that games should be about more than just power I think it's pretty simple. That power beyond "last gen" has yet to prove itself..... personally I am more worried about the same-ness and lack of creativity displayed in the "next-gen" so far. Even amongst some of NIntendo's titles. There wasn't much at all at E3 that made me think "wow, I have never seen anything like that before!" beyond maybe anti-gravity on Mario Kart (sadly) and a Hipster FPS where you shoot vinyl. Neither of which really required the "next-gen" consoles to exist.

Sorry for the wall of text

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MAB

The whole thread is TL DR

Going off those trailers alone (WiiU 98% gameplay, PSBOX 98%cutscenes) it's safe to say my need and or want of the latter is nonexistent at this point in time...

As long as the people have a WiiU, 3DS & PC then you're on the winning combination for real gaming success

MAB

skywake

If people are going to TL;DR they better at least create a coherent argument

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

OptometristLime

skywake wrote:

That's a fair challenge.

Still, this thread has basically imploded into a black hole of fictitious consoles (spec-wise) and extraordinary claims.
Untitled

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

kkslider5552000

skywake wrote:

against what? Nothing? There is nothing of value here.

"THIS IS WHAT I THINK NEXT GEN MEANS"
"WELL THIS IS WHAT I THINK IT MEANS"
"OK"

THE END.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

I would also like to add to the tech argument.
Back in 2004, people were giving s*** to the DS for having worse graphics than the PSP.

Jump about 6 years later, and 3DS is out. It has still retained it's DS features like 2 screens, touch controls and added a variety of features even the PS Vita is providing, but has surpassed PSP in graphic fidelity.

So basically, Nintendo "dodged" graphics in favor of expading the capability of their handheld.

We now have a 3DS that is more powerful than the PSP, which is still comparible to the Vita in some ways.

1. Near vs. Streetpass

• Nintendo is using the feature alot more effectively than Sony

2. Gyro motion

• The 3DS uses gyro in a quite a few titles. Some aren't affected as much, but there are more games on 3DS, so it is a more utilized feature. PS Vita uses gyro for its games, too, but you can't count this feature as a benefit towards PS3 or 4, because you're combining devices at that point.
    Handhelds and consoles are different, so you can't reference one or the other as benefits.

3. Graphics

• 3DS has decent graphics for a handheld. It can still compare to the Vita with certain titles. Compare a game like Street Fighter 4 to Mortal Kombat 9. Do the graphics matter in this case? Not really.
    The 3DS also has 3D screens, which is relevant to the capabilities of a system. Developers could technically ignore the 3D, but that is one of the main features of the system.

4. Social:

• PS Vita has those options. It's not to say 3DS can't, but it's just not set up that way.

ETC:
I could go on, but my point is that 3DS has benefited by being the successor of the DS.
We now have graphics mainly better than the PSP, with all these other features that have become standard through advancement in technology.

Graphics were always on Nintendo's schedule. Nintendo just doesn't plan to compete graphically until they overhaul some beneficial features.
The 3DS has overwriten everything PSP has done hardware wise.
The only thing Vita has is better graphics now.
Some things are opinionated, but whatever.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

AlexSays

skywake wrote:

There wasn't much at all at E3 that made me think "wow, I have never seen anything like that before!" beyond maybe anti-gravity on Mario Kart (sadly) and a Hipster FPS where you shoot vinyl. Neither of which really required the "next-gen" consoles to exist.

Sorry for the wall of text

Thank you for your extremely long version of your opinion.

I'm glad we agree advancements in technology are important for aspects of video games other than graphics. I still don't care about your immediate comparisons between this generation and the past. (Though the scale in certain E3 games was not possible the previous gen, making me question what you consider an advancement)

You're still fighting a point I never mentioned, and taking part in the NL tradition of calling everything a strawman - such a horribly misused word : ( -.

I'm afraid you'll have to stick to my original point (advancement of technology throughout the history of the industry, of which you agreed with). I can only entertain the tangents you and Scar enjoy creating for so long.

AlexSays

Midnight3DS

@SCAR392 "The only thing Vita has is better graphics now. Some things are opinionated, but whatever."

Opinionated, definitely. There are several debatably better aspects with Vita, aside from graphics. Internet browser, for one, is no contest. Twin sticks is another advantage. Price decision on the part of Nintendo. Gyro can fly out the window along with six axis as far as I'm concerned.

Edited on by Midnight3DS

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.