Forums

Topic: Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - OT

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 1,096

NEStalgia

@yokokazuo Oh yeah, I forgot about the localization controversial, though I don't really factor that into sales and success....that's a niche of crazed online netizens who rant about things like that, not most of the buying public.

The XCX controversies were just bizarre and nitpicking. The TMS localization was....weird. A few things were normal things you expect in the west, but the whole chapter 2 thing and the resulting posters is the first and ONLY time I've ever almost agreed with the raging internet complaints. I don't have a problem with them toning it down, but the idea of changing it to "90's street clothes" was just totally nonsensical to the rest of the elements in the chapter. There's a million ways they could have made it "western appropriate" (not that what I saw of the Japanese version actually didn't look western appropriate) but I didn't expect it would be that. It doesn't affect the enjoyment of the game at all, and given how silly the game is, I actually got a giggle out of it every time I saw the "90's street clothes" posters in the game...it was almost like a meta joke.

I'm still convinced Nintendo was just so bent on getting the ESRB rating down to T in a single submission so as not to inflate costs, that they just snipped EVERYTHING the ESRB MIGHT object to.

Online hoopla aside though, I doubt that impacted sales much. "Not being FE" probably impacted sales. And being a VERY Japanese game probably impacted sales. (and would continue to on a new platform), And of course being the third from last game on a forgotten platform annihilated sales. I'd be surprised of "censorship" really had an effect.

@FGPackers To be fair a lot of those criticisms of XCX are valid. It's not the most polished game ever in some areas, and it could be overwhelming early on (it's not as expert at guiding you to the "right" areas as BotW for example) and the text really IS too little on the gamepad (and I'm nearsighted and can see tiny things great ) It has its flaws, but it's still an amazing game. TMS though....it's only real flaw is being "too Japanese for most western gamers." Some might say it's "too easy" but I don't find that a flaw (otherwise Kirby wold be the worst series of all time.) The gameplay, the polish, the pacing, the characters and story (silly as it is) are all just 100% smooth. When I compare it to other JRPGs in recent times, even Atlus ones, it just comes out as such a well polished masterpiece (P5 from what I'm hearing might be as wonderful if not better, however.) If nothing else it has me at the edge of my seat looking forward to SMTV on Switch!

NEStalgia

FGPackers

@NEStalgia yeah it had problems, they just were irrelevant to me. Game was too much good

Edited on by FGPackers

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

yokokazuo

@FGPackers ah, I was mainly thinking of things leading up to launch. (But I think I heard some things about impressions from the Japanese release)
I just played X back in December and also loved it. The main story did have its flaws, but aside from that I think I generally prefer it over the first Xenoblade Chronicles. (The skells are a lot of fun )
Still, perhaps it is a Fire Emblem bias, but TMS is my favourite RPG on the Wii U.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Aqueous

Though I doubt the 3DS could run TMS, perhaps a 3DS successor could be a decent place to give it a second chance. I half suspect the physical Wii U copy to be worth something someday if it doesn't get ported for being an underselling and well polished game.

Guest on NFR 57: http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/category/episode-57/

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0600-1156 | Nintendo Network ID: AqueousDoubt | Twitter:

Luna_110

@Aqueous
I doubt it. The 3DS is on its way out, and one of the shining aspects of the game were its visuals - the battle system is flashy, so it relies a lot on visual effects that the 3DS has no chance of pushing out. A successor without that battle system would be disappointment, considering the battle system is one of the parts the game shines,with some people thinking its better than P5.

I think that unfortunately, this will be one of those forgotten gems on the Wii U that people will revisit down the road and ask themselves why it didn't do better.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

FGPackers

yokokazuo wrote:

but TMS is my favourite RPG on the Wii U.

Same here, hands down! And i would also say one of the best ever!

Edited on by FGPackers

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Aqueous

@Luna_110 - I already mentioned that the 3DS likely couldn't handle it, I'm thinking more in the along the lines of a successor to have the second screen to hold the info that was sent to that screen.

Aqueous wrote:

Though I doubt the 3DS could run TMS, perhaps a 3DS successor could be a decent place to give it a second chance.

Luna_110

@Aqueous
That's my point too - a successor in the 3DS would play like any other turn based game, losing the flashiness that made TMS#FE's battle system shine.
Take away the flashiness and what could you put in to replace it? The second screen merely could have the same info show in the game pad but it doesn't really add anything to the combat.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Aqueous

@Luna_110 - We don't know what power a new handheld would bring. I don't think we can assume a graphical hit on theoretical new hardware losing any flashiness. If you mean Screen size would effect it, that might be possible that some details would be lost on a smaller screen but I don't think that would harm anything.

Kogorn733

Just want to say that after the first 4-6 hours I've finally come to appreciate how awesome and underrated this game is. It had a bit of a slow start I admit, but after the first two dungeons or so I have not been able to put it down. The characters, especially in the side quests, are really interesting, and I grew to enjoy watching Fortuna Talent Agency get off the ground and assemble a competent cast. The combat system is pretty awesome too.

While I doubt it will happen, I really hope that this game gets a sequel on Switch.

Kogorn733

Smash_kirby

@NEStalgia I think the issue was Nintendo localization budget shriveled up upon the sales of the WiiU version of the game. I think they finished localizing the game as much as they could and left the game in the state it is currently in.

Smash_kirby

Kogorn733

Do you think this game would ever get a sequel on Switch?

Kogorn733

Kimyonaakuma

@Kogorn733 We can hope so! If the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei series are having their main games move to the Switch then it's possible.

I'm not sure how the story would be though. I'm guessing that it would be similar but with new humans and mirages?

Kimyonaakuma

Aqueous

@Kogorn733 - That'd be something I go for. Not sure it would happen, I think it under performed.

Late

I bought a used Fortissimo Edition few weeks back (was cheaper than buying a new normal copy) and started playing on Thursday. I'm enjoying this game quite a lot. I decided to use the DLC code today (I'm not sure if the previous owner even played the game since it looked like it hadn't been used at all and the code coupon hadn't been scratched) and turns out Australian codes don't work in Europe even though the game itself works since both are PAL regions. Anyone here want the code?

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Late

20 hours in. I love this game. It's a shame I didn't pick it up sooner. Reminds me that I should get back to Shin Megami Tensei IV, especially now since I bought SMT IV: Apocalypse when it was on sale. I like the songs with lyrics more than I expected. I've had Reincarnation stuck in my head for the whole day. The battle music is top notch as well.

I listened through the CD that comes with the Fortissimo Edition and noticed that Tsubasa introduces herself and says she's 17 (in game she says she's 18) before starting the song. Funny how they didn't do anything to that even though they made changes to the art book. I personally don't care that they made some localization changes (or censorship as some call it), I just find it funny that after all they did, they didn't touch the CD.

It's its, not it's.

Kimyonaakuma

@Late Good to hear that you're enjoying it!

I know that there was a big controversy about the game's localisation but I really don't think that it changes the game in any significant way..except maybe one of the dungeons. Despite that change it's still really fun, I'm hoping for a sequel even though it might never happen.

I'm guessing that they didn't change the CD because it was only part of the special edition and lots of people would never notice.

Kimyonaakuma

cadaver138

@Late this was the last game I bought on wiiu and what a swan song it was. The song that got stuck in my head was kiria and tsubasa singing give me.

cadaver138

Late

@Kimyonaakuma The mini art book was also part of the Fortissimo Edition and that had changes made to it. Though, I guess it's bit different to edit couple of pictures since it's easier for people to notice that than one line on a CD which is in Japanese. (I know some Japanese and it makes me happy to be able to understand some random lines here and there.) I just thought they could've re-recorded that line while they recorded new lines for the game. It may even be the same line she already says in the game, now that I think about it.

It's its, not it's.

Kimyonaakuma

@Late Hmm now I think about it she does that something that in the game. I guess it was just a mistake that they made

Went to play a little of this yesterday and it turns out that I had left my new game plus file unfinished! Really enjoyed finishing the game again though, a sequel would be amazing.

Kimyonaakuma

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.