Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: Color Splash - OT

Posts 601 to 620 of 960

Mister_Wu

RR529 wrote:

For the record, I beat like three of the bosses in Sticker Star without "Thing Stickers" (King Goomba, that Ice Bowser thing, and Petey Piranha). Heck, even the Gooper Blooper fight's "Thing Sticker" just protected you from a specific attack (I think it would knock the attack back, but it wasn't particularly devistating to the boss). There were no "Thing" stickers that would one hit KO Bowser either.

I never really understood the mentality that bosses in Sticker Star required you to use "Things", that would one hit KO them, because to me, they always came off as optional tools you could use to make the fight easier.

While i havent' played Sticker Star, I think the complaint was mainly geared toward Tower Power Pokey (many HPs) and Gooper Blooper (the ink actually stunned him, lowering his defense and making him miss attacks for three turns in a row). Actually, I was forgetting Cheep Cheep, that required the Hook.

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Blue_Blur

My main complaint for Sticker Star was were all the Thing Stickers were located. I only played about halfway through the game because I got tired of looking around for Thing Stickers that were way out of the way of your current goal. Most of the locations were so random to me, like the fish hook. (In the middle of the woods behind a secret door.. really?) And needing to find the Thing Stickers in order to proceed only made matters worse...

Luckily though, it looks like Color Splash is fixing that problem, with needing the mandatory Thing Stickers to beat the level. Just for that reason, I'm willing to give this game a chance. I'm also hoping Paper Luigi gets a semi-big role in the game! Probably not, but a Luigi fan can hope!

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Seacliff

The only boss were Things stickers were mandatory was Cheap Cheap.

It's nearly impossible to beat Blooper, Pokey, or Bowser without Thing Stickers.

With King Goomba and Ice Bowser it makes the battle much easier but is still totally possible without them if you look for Hp Ups before hand.

Petey Piranha was the only major boss throughout the game that didn't have a major 'Thing' weakness.

That's from my recent experience, I played through the game about two weeks ago. However, Morton is very worrying. 48 damage without guarding? That's way too much to make the 'Thing' cards feel optional, which Sticker Star at least sometimes did.

Edited on by Seacliff

Seacliff

Mister_Wu

@Seacliff While I too suspect that Thing Cards will be made as mandatory as possible in boss battles, remember this image:

Untitled

The max HP here are more than in Sticker Star.

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Ok, new video of the gameplay:

This time we have an inn instead of the classic ghost house, which might confirm what the map showed, that the developers are trying some new tropes for the settings.
Well, at least they understood that Toads and enemies can wear different kind of outfits...
unfortunately, not much is seen of the gameplay, which in this location might be quite interesting (in Sticker Star the Enigmansion was probably one of the most interesting parts of the game).

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

TuVictus

Well, it looks really good. The graphics are pretty stunning.

TuVictus

NintendoFan64

ALRIGHT. I will give the game this: the Inn looks great visually, and if it's anything like the mansion from the last game, it could actually be one of the few moments that actually feels like a Paper Mario game. Still wish that there were characters other than Toads, though...at least they're wearing something different, so I guess that's an improvement.
Also, can I just talk about this for a moment?

...Good God, this is stupid.

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

D_e_A_c_T

I'm starting to think that stripping the game of what made the others more complicated and adding visuals like that that the game is meant to appeal specifically to really young children.

Like really young.

D_e_A_c_T

-Green-

I don't know man. The pig sure knows how to dance, and I actually think it's pretty funny.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

veeflames

-Red- wrote:

I don't know man. The pig sure knows how to dance, and I actually think it's pretty funny.

This. I especially love the way the pig twitches his nose at the beginning.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

DreamyViridi

Oh god. It's Sticker Star's Turkey all over again! XD

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

CM30

televisions wrote:

I'm starting to think that stripping the game of what made the others more complicated and adding visuals like that that the game is meant to appeal specifically to really young children.

Like really young.

Reminds me of a lot of kids cartoons now. The ones that think that being 'random' makes everything hilarious.

I mean, it's a somewhat amusing sequence, but it feels... kind of out of place here.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

TuVictus

Shows like Steven Universe and Adventure Time are what Nintendo usually strives to do: Appealing to children cuz of their colors and cute characters at first glance, but has many things that appeal to adults as well. That's how the Paper Mario franchise started. Now it's more like Uncle Grandpa. Colors everywhere, random, meant to be cute only for children. Not that it's necessarily bad, but it really sucks considering what it used to be.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

CM30

Operative wrote:

Shows like Steven Universe and Adventure Time are what Nintendo usually strives to do: Appealing to children cuz of their colors and cute characters at first glance, but has many things that appeal to adults as well. That's how the Paper Mario franchise started. Now it's more like Uncle Grandpa. Colors everywhere, random, meant to be cute only for children. Not that it's necessarily bad, but it really sucks considering what it used to be.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Seems like they're trying to aim for the social media audience too, what with all the memes and stuff.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

NintendoFan64

CM30 wrote:

Operative wrote:

Yeah, that sounds about right. Seems like they're trying to aim for the social media audience too, what with all the memes and stuff.

Does the "the memes and stuff" apply to just things in this game like the break-dancing pig (Speaking of which, is there something I'm missing here? What about this is so funny?), or Nintendo's recent attempts to be "hip" in general? Because, yeah, that needs to stop. See, when someone like, say, the Sonic Twitter account do memes, it's funny! But when Nintendo does it, it's actually a bit painful to watch. But enough about that. If part of the reason for the dumbing down of the series is to appeal to children, then that's stupid. Children are not idiots. They can handle more than this. The older games proved this. Some modern cartoons like what @Operative mentioned prove this. You should not have to completely dumb things down and devolve to "LOL! SO RANDOM!!!!XD" humor for children.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

-Green-

shaneoh wrote:

Mario certainly looked impressed by its moves.

He sure do.

Anyways, I don't think a bit of randomness is that bad. As long as they don't overdo it and it's not too out of place and all.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

meleebrawler

There appears to be a mechanic where you can instantly defeat enemies on the field via first attack if you're strong enough... the time Mario got in an actual battle with the Scaredy Rats the attacks were massive overkill.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.