Forums

Topic: Nintendo exclusive Sonic Boom for Wii U and 3DS

Posts 201 to 220 of 317

kkslider5552000

Drawdler wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I don't think the Wii U version is gonna be that good, but people saying nearly any game should be compared to Sonic 06 is just pathetic hyperbole. Stop it.

This game could be exclusively the Werehog segments of Sonic Unleashed and it would still be 10X better than 06. At worst.

I agree about this game, but do you really think that Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly shouldn't be compared to 06?

Enter the Dragonfly, admittedly mostly based on my knowledge of a game I haven't played in over 10 years (and didn't play a ton of in the first place), is sort of a worse and boring sequel to the PS1 games but is still better simply for its lack of serious ambition (thus meaning there was way less awful that could happen in the game). Doing less is a great way to prevent a game from becoming a disaster. It's bad but not THAT bad.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BearHunger

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Enter the Dragonfly, admittedly mostly based on my knowledge of a game I haven't played in over 10 years (and didn't play a ton of in the first place), is sort of a worse and boring sequel to the PS1 games but is still better simply for its lack of serious ambition (thus meaning there was way less awful that could happen in the game). Doing less is a great way to prevent a game from becoming a disaster. It's bad but not THAT bad.

Kind of sad that it's considered better as a result of having less ambition. I think I'd generally be more interested in the worse game if it aspired to be unique and compelling.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

FilmerNgameR

[quote=turtlelink]

Bolt_Strike wrote:

LOL, this is just perfect:

Untitled

Ha! I knew it was Robotnik who made Sanic Boom! Where are the reviews btw shouldn't they have been up since like a week ago? Oh well if that means that Sonic Boom is a failure then I don't care. I was never excited for it anyway except the environments in the Wii U version look legit but in the end I think it's best to wait for the "real" next gen Sonic for next year. I hope it's opened world though and with come backs from past characters such as blaze, shadow, knuckles, ect. as playable characters . Also bring back the kickas$ songs from Crush 40. There hasn't been a main theme in a Sonic since Free Riders, just saying.

Edited on by FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR

3DS Friend Code: 3437-3297-7197 | Nintendo Network ID: Sonic1321

Bolt_Strike

I almost just want to buy the game simply to laugh at how bad it is.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

SpookyMeths wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

John Carmack: "a Sonic game that isn't locked at 60 fps is a crime against nature."

You shouldn't post your real name in an online forum like that.

I hope you're joking and actually know who John Carmack is

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

CaviarMeths

skywake wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

John Carmack: "a Sonic game that isn't locked at 60 fps is a crime against nature."

You shouldn't post your real name in an online forum like that.

I hope you're joking and actually know who John Carmack is

Definitely a joke, lol.

I do know who Carmack is, but mostly just by proxy due to his association with John Romero and Ion Storm, the ultimate gamer campfire story. I was never really into any of his games.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Drawdler

@kkslider5552000 I thought about that, but at least with '06 there's more ridiculous stuff to make fun of, so it seems more enjoyable anyway. ETD just bored me (and made me sad, because it actually has a couple of decent environments, stuffed into a bad game), the constant lag really bogs it down and the actual design is pretty plain and unpolished. My first game was Spyro 3 and even I found it very hard to excuse while I was a Spyro obsessor (when I actually had a Webs site dedicated to Spyro). I always skip it in Spyro marathons and wasn't able to beat it until last year, plus I've never gotten 100%. To be fair, I haven't actually played Sonic '06 but from what I've seen, it has way more hilarious WTF moments and laughably bad game design, and the story is its own clusterloverdovey. If it didn't have the painful load screens, it seems like '06 would be a fantastic So Bad, It's Good game. If you got rid of ETD's horrid lag and speed up the load times, you'd just end up with a bland, mostly forgettable platformer rather than something entertainingly awful.

Edited on by Drawdler

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

kkslider5552000

Before I come across as too nice to this game, I will say regardless of quality (unless it's amazing, which is clearly not true)...

STOP MAKING MEDIOCRE BEAT-EM-UPS AND PRETENDING THEY'RE PLATFORMERS

TheActualGold

I've been watching some of the cut-scenes that were uploaded to Youtube, and can't help but laugh at Shadow's inclusion. You see him at the very beginning of the game stalking Eggman, and then he just wanders off. Next time he's seen he automatically wants to fight Sonic and Tails for absolutely NO reason other than the fact that Sonic has friends (maybe Big Red Button wasn't allowed to use Rouge or Omega??). The fight concludes by Shadow being punted into a time portal, as if the developers suddenly realized that they had too many antagonists at once. Just a quick boop and he's out for the entire game. After the final boss is defeated he reappears and just walks away, no longer angry at the guy who, from his point of view, kicked him less than three seconds ago.

Basically, they added Shadow in the game, took him out almost immediately, and forgot about him completely until the credits. The trailer footage shows most of his in-game time.

On a side note, how cute is it that the developers set up a sequel at the end? They don't stand a chance!

I Am Me.

3DS Friend Code: 3480-3691-2026 | Nintendo Network ID: TheActualGold

skywake

TheActualGold wrote:

On a side note, how cute is it that the developers set up a sequel at the end? They don't stand a chance!

Given how much crap is being rushed out the door lately? I wouldn't rule it out....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Socar

I can't believe Nintendo is fine with the game being terrible.......... WHY EVEN MAKE THAT DEAL IN THE FIRST PLACE?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

WHY EVEN MAKE THAT DEAL IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Untitled

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

kkslider5552000

Yeah guys Sonic 06 sold a couple million copies, Sonic is almost ALWAYS a pretty good seller.

I mean compare the other 2 Sonic Wii U games' sales to...literally any 3rd party game that wasn't a launch title.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Kogorn733

In my opinion, Big Red Button is getting a lot of flack for things that probably aren't there fault. Looking at the history of this game, I see parallels between Big Red Button and Sega, and Obsidian Entertainment and Lucas Arts/Sega/SquareEnix. This is definitely not the first time that Sega (or another publisher) has let an unfinished product run out of the door in order to meet a holiday deadline. Sega has even been in litigation as a result of similar actions. It's the publisher's fault, not the developer's. The latter has no incentive to rush a game out for an early release, because if it doesn't review well they don't get a bonus.

Big Red Button introduced a lot of great concepts into this game, and I had high hopes for it (and probably will still buy it after a patch or two comes out). They simply did not have enough time to see them through, which is why many bugs slipped through the cracks. From footage I've watched, it's also clear that story elements involving some characters (i.e. Shadow) were cut at the last minute.

Had they an extra six months or so to polish the game, I think it could have been amazing, and it may still be once patches are released. Fingers crossed, as I like Sonic and Big Red Button, given the proper level of support, has a lot of promise.

Kogorn733

Yoshi_Prime

TheActualGold wrote:

You serious?

Yoshi_Prime

BearHunger

So, it sets up a sequel? I know this game is a prequel to the show, so is it just setting up the show?

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

Andyliini

Wasn't the 3DS game sequel to the Wii U -game though? And then the cartoon picks up from there. Maybe.

Dunno how I feel.

Nintendo Network ID: Andyliini | Twitter:

Drawdler

I just finished watching footage of the whole game.

What a poor final boss battle. :T

@Andyliini From what I've seen of Shattered Crystal, it really doesn't seem to be connected with those at all. The characters don't know who Lyric are despite awakening and meeting him in RoL. Plus, he just appears out of nowhere.

@BearClaus The blue button on Lyric's suit can control other machines. At the end of the game, Sonic & co rip it out and toss it over a cliff. Eggman finds it and attaches it to his suit. Also, sometime in the game you kill Metal Sonic. At the end, he gets revived by the blue button (I don't understand how that's supposed to work, but... Okay, I guess).
I love how how they set up a sequel, but never address what happens to Lyric after he's tied up. Does he just stay stuck there, get thrown away, or something else?

Edited on by Drawdler

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

kkslider5552000

Kogorn733 wrote:

In my opinion, Big Red Button is getting a lot of flack for things that probably aren't there fault. Looking at the history of this game, I see parallels between Big Red Button and Sega, and Obsidian Entertainment and Lucas Arts/Sega/SquareEnix.

That's a terrible comparison because Obsidian are to blame for Obsidian's games and you know it.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.