Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 3,181 to 3,200 of 4,835

OorWullie

Just finished my Halloween level a little while ago,can call it the unofficial sequel to The Cryptic Crypt.

I just noticed earlier I missed a few comments for my last level,sorry about that.Thanks for playing.I'll try to get round to answering them and catching up on levels I've missed.I noticed a lot of the NL users I follow haven't been making any new ones,hope that changes soon.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

AdamLikesNintend

shredmeister wrote:

@AdamLikesNintend:

shredmeister wrote:

@AdamLikesNintend:

Thanks for your response.

I'm on my WiiU right now. My current screen name is VinnieMii. You are now on my 'followed' list. You'll be seeing my name in your 'People who played this course' list soon.

So I played Mario Metroidvania Mania and spent a good hour to clear it. It's a bit long, but I had the will and determination to beat that level. I can see you put a TON of effort into it so I didn't want to let you down . If there was a way to take away the timer, it would have been easier. Because of the timer, I had to remember where everything was and do it again, but fast. And there really wasn't much room for error. If you lose one power up it's pretty much game over. Aside from that, I love the Metroidvania style and you did well making it work with Mario. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it was a great challenge.

Oh wow! I certainly don't mean for it to take that long but I really appreciate you sticking through it! I originally uploaded it without the arrows, coins, and spots in the floors as clues and quickly realized that wasn't very practical unfortunately. I would love to remove the timer if I could. I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I haven't had much time to play a lot of your courses yet but I'm going to soon.

My Super Mario Maker Courses

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9395-3820 | Nintendo Network ID: adamlikesyou

Chandlero

OorWullie wrote:

Just finished my Halloween level a little while ago,can call it the unofficial sequel to The Cryptic Crypt.

Do we have here a special Halloween level design week here? I would love that. I love making ghost houses

By the way, I had a busy week with moving, work and similar things. I have to play a lot of levels I missed here.

My recent level is still

If nobody finds more flaws, I will finalise this level and drop the version counter

Edited on by Chandlero

retropunky

Another level to start this off. Had it for awhile, but just getting around to add it to my levels.

retropunky

3DS Friend Code: 4313-0436-2109

Maxoxpower

Hi all!
My new Hail to the K.king level is here! :
Hail to the K.King 4: Bio-HaSard.(F23A-0000-00C3-3A47)

this is my new level for my serie hail to the k.king

i really suggest you to play the 1,2,3 before my new

Hail to the K.King. (A67A-0000-0067-8E86)
Hail to the K.King 2: Hot Potato H (138A-0000-007D-8653)
Hail to the K.King 3: Pesticide. (32E8-0000-0082-E5E7)
Hail to the K.King 4: Bio-HaSard.(F23A-0000-00C3-3A47)

Edited on by Maxoxpower

Maxoxpower

DanoLefourbe

@Mustaviini: I've played some of your levels. To be honest it was a mixed bag. I saw some really fun ones, some great ideas, but there a a few problems that seem to come very often in your levels:

• Ennemies comming from pipes, too often. It slows the player in a tedious and unnecessary way. It can work in some cases, but overall, this setup is only fun when it's done once on a screen and you need it as a ditributor (for bombs for instance). In your level it comes to two things: Run through it before it starts poping when you can, or push through it slowly. One is an abuse, the other is a chore.
  • Downward leaps of faith: you often ask for the player to jump down, without showing him the floor. This is just as bad as a standard leap of faith. Sometimes you jump down and Oh, you land just on the side of an emmeny. Or you land on un anstable platform, and you don't have time to react. Remember: YOU always know what's coming, because you made the level. The player should have the same resources as you when you uploaded your level. Otherwise, he's not playing the level you playtested.
  • information overload: Something that you do pretty often with your bullets.There are too many threats on the screen, and the player cannot identify them. Once again you're not putting yourself in the shoes of the player. You know all the things you put there beause, well, you did. The payer has to answer those 5 bullets bills (with a homing one), 3 cannons, 2 flying ennemies (I'm not exaggerating here) in less than 2 seconds before he dies. You had all your playtests, and those were much less frustrating than going through a stranger's level.
  • Power-ups in dangerous places: it can be okay to put a fireflower or a feather out of reach. it's not okay to put the first mushroom in the way of hazards. The power-up is supposed to be a tool for the upcoming challenge, not a challegne itself. At least, don't do it for the power that just gives you 1 HP while making you easier to hit.
  • No room to breathe. Not only does the player have to discover what you have in store for him. He also has to do it on the fly because he's always in the way of danger. This is okay for very short, linear, and fast levels. Not really for your long levels with multiple paths. You're asking the player for impossible skills and impossible choices.

This seems like a lot, but it can really be contained in two big design concepts:

• Give the player a chance to understand what's happening, by giving him reasonable space and time. His time in your level will only be more enjoyable if he had time to be an actor, not a victim.
  • Give your levels less feature, but more meaningful ones. Make your level memorable.

Two things that you did pretty well on two of your levels: Yoshi's return, and Tricky Thwomp Tower. Each part is put there with intent, and the player is in charge there. There is also an underwater level that was rather easy but very well made with distinct features. It might be the kind of feel that could make your harder levels more enjoyable. You levels need a melody where there is noise sometimes.

Otherwise your levels are very pretty and well built. The level design itself is freaking great, and that's what kept me trying. It's just what you put IN the level that is too confusing, too often.

I know this wall of text might seem pedantic, but eh, it's your designs, you're absolutely free to ignore anything I had to say ^^

All my levels

Nintendo Network ID: DanoLefourbe

DanoLefourbe

And here is my latest level.

It is meant to be really very hard, like my two other time attacks:

All my levels

VinnieMii

Sorry, this is not my level. But...

A487-0000-0097-BEA4
MARIO RIDES ON TOP OF BOWSER

It's a really difficult level, but once you understand that you are supposed to stand on top of the cannon on Bowser's back, he gives you a ride. But it does become a perilous journey, so don't think it's some automatic level.

The creative person from Japan who made this level has starred every one of my levels, too. Very cool! Maybe the same might happen for you(?).

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of Japanese. So, if anyone does(?), could you at least tell me how to pronounce his name? Check out some of his other levels. There's another one that felt like I was in a boxing ring with Bowser (hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean if you see it).

Nintendo Network ID: Shredmeister
Try my Super Mario Maker Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2707-1611-0137

Hanakane

DanoLefourbe wrote:

@Weland:
@Hanakane: You water temple level is absolutely awesome and gorgeous. The title scrolling at the end was a very nice touch. Mechanically it also works like a water temple: it might look a bit confusing at first, but just be logical, and it works out. I really want to see part 2!

Thanks for your awesome feedback, Dano! I'm super glad you enjoyed it, as I had a bit of negative feedback from it from the first few people to play it - I think it's due to impatience. Like you said, it's confusing at first due to non-linear design, but actually the level kind of guides you - it's not supposed to be a maze. And yeah, it's kind of a remake of the original temple from Ocarina of Time, with a few original elements thrown in. I'm working on part 2 as we speak.

Just checked out a few of your timer challenge levels and I loved them! Beat them all too. B)

Also, thanks for the amazing art on the comments - that must have taken you ages, and it's really appreciated!

Retro Pac-Man Pack-a-nistic, really quite precocious!

3DS Friend Code: 4270-3094-3956 | Nintendo Network ID: GuevaraCasal

TeacherGus

How can I post my level here? I mean, like some people have - with the picture and all from the SMM database?

Surviving.

Twitter:

DanoLefourbe

@OorWullie: I'm currently trying your level. It's pretty fun, but it really seems to be more on the hard than on the medium side. It can be tough figuring what the difficulty will be for an other player. I will try more seriously and give you feedback then.

OK, so, I finished the level and... meh. I think some elements outstay their welcome. For instance, past the first couple of thwomps crashing on your helmet above the treadmill, the player gets the idea, and doesn't need to do more. that's not a big issue as this is done pretty fast. But the "running over one block wide gaps" comes too often. It is even a problem in the part with the magikoopas. The player might not be able to match his jump with the platform, and then the jump will wiffs and you'll crush into the enemy. This is deliberate sure, but it is the kind of things that will be MUCH harder for another player than it is for the one who designed it.
I finally quit the level during the pipes part. That's really the kind of puzzles that vore me very, very quickly.

I think overall the level is just not for me. But still: try putting yourself into the shoes of another player. Remember that each hazard will always be much worse for the others. This level might be medium for you, but I'm pretty decent at Mario, and this is more of a hard level than a medium one. Yo'ure just very good at it, because you made it.

Edited on by DanoLefourbe

All my levels

KoopaNova

I got a level. It's called "Find the Vine!" It's a Little, short, but fun minigame. You hit a block with a goomba to see what block has the vine to the next level. Each level increases it's block size. Have fun!

ID: 8F8D-0000-00BF-D349

Edited on by KoopaNova

KoopaNova

Dizzy_Boy

I played this level earlier, it's not mine, but I want to share it anyway.
This one is hard, but it's not cheap.
0FC4-0000-00A9-757F

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.