Forums

Topic: Is the Wii U worth it? in 2017

Posts 21 to 40 of 67

Grumblevolcano

@SKTTR I'd recommend getting a Switch pro controller if you don't already have one, easily one of the best controllers out there for any console. I only use the Joy-Con for handheld mode. As for points like Miiverse and free online while they're true now, Nintendo is planning to shutdown Miiverse in the next Wii U update and there's the possibility they shutdown Wii U online in general.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

I was a huge fan of the Wii U but we need to be realistic here. The Wii U only had about two good years of regular releases. 2013 was basically void of anything compelling until the second half of the year. The last major push was in mid 2015. If Nintendo keeps this momentum up for the Switch it'll easily overtake the Wii U by the end of next year.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Samus7Killer

❤WiiU❤

Haters gonna hate...stay salty WiiU haters.

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

FX102A

Whilst the Wii U does have the better library as we are comparing a 4 year 8 month old console with a near 5 month old console, it depends whether you want immediate gratification or a future investment.

The Wii U has some stellar 1st party titles (plus a small selection of 2nd and 3rd party exclusives) and I do love the console but its design was riddled with "flaws" that partly led to its downfall. Also, with the console potentially becoming kind of a "cult classic" console, game prices (particular initial releases and not Nintendo Selects) are likely to hold or even increase in value over time. Whilst you probably could grab a Wii U and a decent selection of games now you best strike whilst the iron's hot. And of course remember that with the exception of Axiom Verge (physically), future releases for Wii U are dead.

As for the Switch, you have an exciting selection of new titles on their way but you could be waiting a while for a few. Also, the Switch isn't cheap (especially if you want a Pro Controller) and many games are going through the "new console tax" that many stores implement.

Really, whether you want a Switch or a Wii U depends on the following questions:

1) How important is portability? If you would like this then Switch all the way.

2) Are there any exclusives you really want to play that are out or soon to be out? Whichever one(s) that is get the respective console?

3) Do you eventually want both? Then perhaps the Wii U is better purely because grabbing one and several titles down the road could prove costly.

FX102A

RenderSpotlight

I think if I had to pick one video game console and with that I would have access to the entire library of games within that console I would go with the Wii U.
It goes without saying (I guess not really) that it would have access to all the Wii U games, but with access to Wii and the VC it would cover nearly 90+ percent of all my video game wants. I would miss out on just a few games I like. But for the most part, so many of my favorites both past and present are available.
I could list all the games that cover the major areas but that would take a while. But for example,
Fighting games: there are Smash, Tekken, Pokken and Tatsunoko vs Capcom + retro SSF and MK
Racing: MK Wii, Sonic Racing Transformed, Need for Speed, Fast Racing Neo
Retro games: All the VC
Open World: Zelda (that should be enough), but both Xenoblade Chronicle games
2d Platform: Rayman, Mario, DK, Yoshi, Mario Maker
Minecraft: Minecraft, Discovery
Fun mini games: Wii Sports, Go Vacation, Nintendo Land
I would miss out on Saturn games and NHL 94, but I guess nothing is perfect.

RenderSpotlight

Mahe

Get a PS4: the best home console games with the widest selection
Then a 2DS system: the best Nintendo and handheld games with the widest selection

Mahe

RenderSpotlight

@FX102A I think you are right. The Switch appears likely to be around for a very long time. I have learned over the years that if I get caught up in the media whirlwind and peer pressure of a new console (I mean, I do not want to be left behind right?) I end up spending a lot of money to justify my purchase. If I wait, I typically end up spending less and normally only buy games that I really want to play.
And especially with Nintendo, typically with their handhelds, they always (for the most part) release an updated "better" version in time. Just look at the first DS or 3DS compared to the later releases.

But I think you are correct. Some Wii U games will be very expensive because at some point I am sure the eShop will be gone and physical copies will be the only legal way to own the game. And how is someone able to put a digital game on the shelf? And since many people went digital only and sold their Wii U to buy a Switch so in 20 years they might want to play some of their now "classic games" with their children, the only way to play these past favorites in their original format will be to buy it again and the few people who bought physical copies will sell at a high price.
But what are the right games to hold on to, that is the question!

RenderSpotlight

Mr_Humpf

I sold my Wii U console and game library to purchase my Switch. I would have sold my PS4 and kept the Wii U, but my son has friends that he plays Minecraft with on PS4 - and it's useful for playing Blu rays. There's lots of great WIi and Wii U games available, and the Selects range has made a lot of them affordable and easy to find - there was a time when it was a mission to find a copy of Wind Waker HD - and when you did it was a 40 quid used one. What are the games I'll miss? Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2. I'm very happy with the Switch. It's early days, but I'm already having a lot of fun with it. I've put 80 hours into BoTW alone, and I'm really enjoying Splatoon 2 and ARMS also.

Friend code: SW-4624-7969-8089

RenderSpotlight

@Curlynob I totally agree. I never did upgrade my PS3 for a PS4, but the primary reason I even own a PS3 was first for Blu ray and the media aspects and then for Minecraft. If the Wii U would have released Minecraft sooner and had better mutli-media I most likely would never have owned a PS3. As my main reason to play Minecraft has passed on, really I only use the PS3 for BluRay today. But I still play my Wii U for games all the time.
But I would buy a Switch way before I every buy a PS4. I will occasionally look at the games released for the PS4 and XboxOne, but they never appeal to me. The Switch on the other hand already has games that I would buy right now.

RenderSpotlight

Mr_Humpf

@Hikingguy There are certainly games that appeal to me on PS4 - such as Gravity Rush 2, Nier Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn. Plus there's a great range of Indie games available for it - games like Inside, ABZU and Journey. There are admittedly a lot of PS4 games that leave me completely cold though. I can't shake this feeling thought that I have no real emotional attachment to it. I don't care about it. It’s just a box under the TV. I feel a real emotional pull towards Nintendo games and consoles that I find hard to articulate. I think it's a combination of craftsmanship, attention to detail and yes at times a little nostalgia. There are moments in BoTW when I've climbed a hillside to discover a river, and there are fish swimming up-stream and the sun is low in the sky and the music changes, and I think "this is perfection". Even playing Donkey Kong there are levels like Grassland Groove which are so beautiful they actually give me the feels a little. I don't get that with other platforms. It's a uniquely Nintendo thing.

RenderSpotlight

@Curlynob Nintendo makes games with quality and charm that is obviously nearly impossible to duplicate. And they have been doing it consistently for years across a wide variety of genres.
I do not think I have ever played a game like BotW. Everything you said is true. Even my wife who is not a regular video game player will play and appreciate BotW. It is a unique game for sure.
I am sure if I looked hard enough I would find a game or two for the PS4 that would appeal to me, but the upfront investment for the occasional game just does not seem worth it for me.
Although I am planning on buying a Switch at some point, I am not going to buy it now. I still have plenty of Wii U games to play. I am not worried, I have a feeling the Switch will be around for a long time.
If I buy one Switch I most likely will have to at least buy 2 maybe more so I can play games like Splatoon with the family.
I really wish I would have bought more than one Wii U so I could have played Splatoon with my son online. But I cannot go back in in time.

Edited on by RenderSpotlight

RenderSpotlight

FX102A

@Hikingguy

• Any 1st party Nintendo Titles (Non Selects)
  • Any exclusive 2nd or 3rd Party games
  • Anything by Platinum Games
  • Any physical releases of Indy titles
  • Any JRPGs
  • Any 3rd party multi-platforms that received significant work rather than a straight port.

FX102A

Octane

FX102A wrote:

• Any exclusive 2nd or 3rd Party games

Untitled

Octane

RenderSpotlight

@FX102A I would love to think that half of my Wii U collection will be worth lots of money but realistically only a handful will be worth any real money. I can see more than a few being valued higher than retail but not hundreds of dollars. I mean that Hello Kitty game that I passed up on even though my daughter wanted it really bad is selling for $150+ but something actually really worth playing like Mario Kart sells for about $25.
I think the Wii U will be similar to the Saturn, but the difference will be what games see re-releases on the Switch in the future.

RenderSpotlight

Mr_Humpf

I never buy video games hoping to create a collection that will be worth money. It is however nice to know that when you come to trading a Nintendo game it still has some value. I looked at trading Metal Gear Solid V and a couple of other PS4 games the other day (trying to afford Nier Automata) and they were worth four or five quid each. I'd rather keep them for that money!

RenderSpotlight

@Curlynob Games like MGS5 for a modern system are not going to be worth much now. Especially as a trade in value. Like you said you are much better off holding onto them.
The Wii U might be a little different than other consoles as it will be more "rare" per se because of low sales and in a few years people might discover the library of games was actually pretty good. Plus the number of retail games is relatively low so people might feel like they can achieve a complete collection. Similar to the Saturn. So that may make it different then lets say any other modern console.
But at this point it is anyone's guess. And for example a game like Splatoon on the Wii U is a blast online but without local LAN like Splatoon 2, once the servers go down the game has much less to offer.
One big difference is in the 80's and 90's very few people collected video games because they thought they might be worth money in the future. Today is very different.

RenderSpotlight

skywake

Samus7Killer wrote:

❤WiiU❤

You do realise that most of the people on this forum brought and owned a Wii U right? I for one brought one on day 1 and built up a collection of ~20 games. So it's a bit rich to call me (and others in this thread) "haters" even if we aren't recommending people buy into the platform now.

It's just how it goes. The Wii U has been fading away rapidly, it's going to be getting virtually no support going forward. I can understand why Wii U owners may have not picked up a Switch. I am, if anything, one of the few people who will go on about how great the Wii U's library of exclusives was. But I don't understand why you'd buy a Wii U at this stage given how much more the Switch has to offer.

It's like if someone brought a HD-DVD player and a bunch of disks on clearance in late 2008. They could go on and on about how good a deal it was but that doesn't change the fact it's a dead-end format.

Mahe wrote:

Get a PS4: the best home console games with the widest selection
Then a 2DS system: the best Nintendo and handheld games with the widest selection

or alternatively....
1. Get a PC: A massive catalogue of third party games and no such thing as "console generations"
2. Get a Switch: The only platform Nintendo is going to support in a big way going forward

Between the two I can play far more than I could if I had a 2DS and a PS4

Edited on by skywake

skywake

@Pahvi
"Because Wii U has games that are not on other systems or they play better on it."
Well for legacy content it obviously makes sense to buy old hardware. You can also argue that the Wii U is a better Wii than the Wii was because it has HDMI out. Though to be clear Wii games do not run at a higher resolution on the Wii U it's just that HDMI is digital vs the analogue of component. So if people want to jump on the Wii U now to revisit the library? More power to them.

I was more looking at this in the way that the OP put it forward. As a choice between the Wii U and the Switch. And it's as simple as this, if you pull up an old thread where I go over the games worth buying a Wii U for? Most of those games are either on the Switch or headed its way. Splatoon, Zelda, Mario Kart and an endless list of high quality 2D platforms. But then ontop of that there's Metroid, Super Mario Odyssey, Arms, Rocket League. The only games that are missing are Bayonetta and Smash Bros.

"OS generations come real close, though. I got a bunch of CD/DVD games that won't run on modern Windows versions for reasons such as DRM or the engine just plain not working."
To some degree but at the same time it's on a bit of a different scale. For example you can't play Portal on a PS4 and you can play World of Goo on the Switch but not the Wii U. But on my PC not only can I still play those games but I didn't have to wait for a port and I didn't have to pay for them again ten years later.

Edited on by skywake

Octane

The only (worthy) game that isn't announced for the Switch yet is Donkey Kong Country. TF was my favourite Wii U game. Maybe Pikmin 3, but I expect we'll hear about Pikmin 4 sooner than later. Captain Toad and Kirby were cool little games, but hardly system sellers.

@Pahvi I don't think Metroid will be cancelled. And I actually liked Other M, so yeah... But what do you mean with pushed? As in delayed? Because I think it's a late 2019 game, and that's being generous.

Octane

Mahe

skywake wrote:

Samus7Killer wrote:

❤WiiU❤

You do realise that most of the people on this forum brought and owned a Wii U right? I for one brought one on day 1 and built up a collection of ~20 games. So it's a bit rich to call me (and others in this thread) "haters" even if we aren't recommending people buy into the platform now.

Yeah. For once, I can agree with you. I was a Wii U early adopter, but it was an obvious failure early on, and at this point, a Wii U really can't be recommended as a new purchase, especially since OP already has a Wii.

Especially since for the price of a Wii U, you can easily get both a PS4 and 2DS, if you shop around for some deals. Both have a lot of great games out and upcoming, at great prices too. Then you'll have a Wii, PS4 and 2DS, covering all the bases with an immense selection of fantastic games that no other combination can hope to compete with.

Mahe

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.