Forums

Topic: Anybody play the Wii U on 480p just cause?

Posts 1 to 20 of 24

sub12

I'm far from a tech wizard of any kind, and although 1080p is my default option, I do find myself switching to 480p for extended periods, be it on the PS4 or Wii U. Theirs just something kinda alluring about lower resolutions, everything seems to mesh together and runs smoother, even if really doesn't,........and the loss of detail is made up by the fact that it's harder to spot lower poly textures and just the artificiality of it all. Maybe it's a bit of my mid to late 90s PC days and my preference for low resolution / high frame rate.

Dunno, anybody else like this?

sub12

Joeynator3000

Never bothered.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

sinalefa

My HDTV automatically adjusts to the "correct" resolution. So no.

But I still have my Wii hooked up to a CRT, and I play it from time to time.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

unrandomsam

I guess I will be doing it a fair bit if the only way to disable the filters on e.g SNES games is to switch to 480p. (Presuming I want to play them on the TV). Still got two weeks until the damn thing arrives.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

RancidVomit86

Nope and I can't see really why I would want to.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Hy8ogen

Yeah, you're weird.

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

Turnip

I love doing that while I wear my shirt inside-out and drink flat soda from the far edge of my glass.

Edited on by Turnip

Cringing is really fun.

jariw

Wouldn't it be difficult to even see the text in HD games on 480p?

jariw

sub12

Hy8ogen wrote:

Yeah, you're weird.

Haha, I guess, the text is a little blurred, but not significantly at all, I mean, you could still make out text while gaming in SD before

sub12

sinalefa

jariw wrote:

Wouldn't it be difficult to even see the text in HD games on 480p?

I remember playing Mass Effect 2 was a nightmare for me because of that. I got my LED after I got my Wii U, so I spent 3 years playing with my PS3 with SD resolution. Most HD games have really small text.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

NinChocolate

I do when playing on the gamepad

NinChocolate

RancidVomit86

sub12 wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Yeah, you're weird.

Haha, I guess, the text is a little blurred, but not significantly at all, I mean, you could still make out text while gaming in SD before

But the text wasn't the same in those. It was larger so it would be easy to read.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

unrandomsam

WaveBoy wrote:

sub12 wrote:

I'm far from a tech wizard of any kind, and although 1080p is my default option, I do find myself switching to 480p for extended periods, be it on the PS4 or Wii U. Theirs just something kinda alluring about lower resolutions, everything seems to mesh together and runs smoother, even if really doesn't,........and the loss of detail is made up by the fact that it's harder to spot lower poly textures and just the artificiality of it all. Maybe it's a bit of my mid to late 90s PC days and my preference for low resolution / high frame rate.

I prefer most of my 'movie' experiences to be in low res, there's just something about HD(at least films shot in digital) that cheapens the experience, almost tarnishes that movie magic and makes the experience almost look 'on set' and too familiar. Horror movies are best viewed either on VHS or DVD imo, the last thing i need to see The Exorcist in crystal clear 1080p....

Also, be sure to play your Wii games in 4:3/fullscreen for the sharpest/crispest picture possible. it also looks a little better in motion that away, vs anamorphic widescreen(Wii games are 640x40 native res) which looks soft, ugly(especially on larger TV's) and looks a bit worse in motion I can only handle playing Wii games in widescreen on 37" or smaller displays, even then 4:3 still looks noticeably better.

How do you get 24fps out of a DVD or VHS ? (Thats what the film is so it is what it should be). Not that I really watch horror films.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

sub12

RancidVomit86 wrote:

sub12 wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Yeah, you're weird.

But the text wasn't the same in those. It was larger so it would be easy to read.

Your kinda nuking it though, Killzone :Shadow Fall on the PS4 has notoriously small text, and I still can read it fine, if not slightly better, in 480p.......now, the image isn't as crisp, given the lower res, but the text is fine, most games zoom in very slightly when set at 480p as well, at least on the Wii U and PS4.

sub12

sub12

WaveBoy wrote:

sub12 wrote:

I prefer most of my 'movie' experiences to be in low res, there's just something about HD(at least films shot in digital) that cheapens the experience, almost tarnishes that movie magic and makes the experience almost look 'on set' and too familiar. Horror movies are best viewed either on VHS or DVD imo, the last thing i need to see The Exorcist in crystal clear 1080p....

Also, be sure to play your Wii games in 4:3/fullscreen for the sharpest/crispest picture possible. it also looks a little better in motion that away, vs anamorphic widescreen(Wii games are 640x40 native res) which looks soft, ugly(especially on larger TV's) and looks a bit worse in motion I can only handle playing Wii games in widescreen on 37" or smaller displays, even then 4:3 still looks noticeably better.

I agree that HD tarnishes older flicks, they were never shot or meant to be viewed in that kind of clarity, it just looks unnatural in most cases.

sub12

sub12

I have a LED at home, and I agree, good for games in HD, not good for old(erish) movies on blu ray.

sub12

Ryno

I'm one of the few people who has ever been to @Waveboy's house. Here's an exclusive peak into his living room!

Untitled

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

WiiWareWave

I do because I get physically sick from watching widescreen LCD televisions. I have an 8 year old 35" Sharp EDTV that is a 4:3 tube! It looks amazing and can handle 580P and has zero latency which means classic games can be played as they were meant to be rather than pressing a button and waiting 2 seconds for anything to happen on screen!

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

DefHalan

Rukiafan wrote:

I do because I get physically sick from watching widescreen LCD televisions. I have an 8 year old 35" Sharp EDTV that is a 4:3 tube! It looks amazing and can handle 580P and has zero latency which means classic games can be played as they were meant to be rather than pressing a button and waiting 2 seconds for anything to happen on screen!

I have never had that problem, I don't have classic systems (Virtual Console all the way) but I have never had button lag like that

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.