Forums

Topic: NES Classic Edition

Posts 281 to 300 of 408

KingMike

@Tasuki I thought Sega bought the rights to Wiley Wars to release as a Sega Channel exclusive (meaning nobody would be able to play the NA version ever again after 1996... I presume, since I didn't have a Genesis to experience Sega Channel live).
I think the story on Disney is also wrong. I read an article awhile back. Supposedly what happened was that Sega had the license for Aladdin (Sega had already made a number of Disney games at the same time as Capcom), which they planned to release after Jurassic Park. But it was falling behind so they contracted Virgin (who was working on The Jungle Book) to help finish it up, and that is when Disney got involved in the development (it was explaining why apparently Aladdin and Jungle Book used similar engines). Capcom did not lose the Disney license right after Aladdin. I THINK the last Disney game they released in NA was Bonkers in 1995, but they produced the Japanese-exclusive Magical Quest 3 late 1995. I think that is when Disney started publishing console games themselves, starting with Toy Story. However, Capcom still published Toy Story, Maui Mallard and I think Pinocchio in Japan, all in 1996, whereas Nintendo published the latter two in western regions.
(though Capcom USA's interest in publishing 16-bit games had certainly waned in 1995. It's why Mega Man 7 was once canceled and reading old Nintendo Powers suggested they were flip-flopping each month on Breath of Fire II.)

Sony's third-party publishing (prior to the PS) was pretty mediocre, which was why it was a surprise the PS took off (and why Sega turned them down to co-produce it, after Nintendo famously canned it).

KingMike

Luna_110

I haven't even received my Nes mini yet and there's already talk of a SNES mini.... which I'll probably get if I manage to find stock at a semi decent price (Damn Nintendo and its business model for Latin America), because I've never played most of the SNES catalogue.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

KingMike

Well, I see Pat the NES Punk has responded to the NintendoLife article with a video that includes him mooning the audience (and Nintendo).

KingMike

Eel

... What article...

Anyway, it's a bit sad but i can't really think of a full 30-game list for an snes mini.

I guess it shows I'm not too familiar with the snes.

Maybe...

Mario World... Kart... Paint...
Final Fantasy... 2 & 3...
Super Metroid...
Harvest Moon...
Sim City....
The DK Countries...
F Zero? Star Fox?
Zelda. Definitely Zelda...
That one Castlevania...
A megaman or two...

I think that's all I can come up with by memory. Someone else fill in the rest.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ogo79

Octane wrote:

So they're going to produce five SNES minis, disappoint a lot of people and repeat the same thing in 2018 with the N64?

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Tasuki

@KingMike Sorry for the late reply kinda over slept this morning. As for the Wily Wars there was a long history to it. I suggest check out The Gaming Historian's video on You Tube on it. But basically Capcom was thinking of making games for the Genesis as well but were as I said too afraid to bite the hand that feeds them. That's why Genesis got the Arcade port of Ghouls N Ghosts as Nintendo couldn't tell Capcom no you cant port your Arcade games to systems other then the NES. However Mega Man was made by Capcom first for the Famicom and even though Capcom did own the rights and could have very well ported it to the Genesis without Nintendo's permission but with Nintendo as I said being a big player in the video game industry they figured it wasn't wise to anger them and possibly get blacklisted or something along those lines.

Actually the idea of bringing Mega Man to Genesis iirc was Sega of America but dont quote me on that.

As for the Disney license you could be right what I heard was possible rumors, assumptions etc. I never figured out a 100% reason why Capcom lost the contract. It's more then likely Disney's own reasons.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Luna_110

@Meowpheel
Star Fox uses the FX chip, doesn't it? If it uses it, I'll doubt it would be included in a SNES mini, since the rights to that chip are lost in oblivion.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Octane

I wonder, what would it take to remake Star Fox from the ground up? You know, without the FX chip. That fixes the problem for certain. Probably not worth the costs, but who knows?

Octane

Atariboy

Luna_110 wrote:

@Meowpheel
Star Fox uses the FX chip, doesn't it? If it uses it, I'll doubt it would be included in a SNES mini, since the rights to that chip are lost in oblivion.

Hardly, the patents expired years ago that provided protection for the Super FX chip and there's no embedded microcode in the processor that would still be protected by copyright.

Thus it's in the public domain and free and clear for anyone to use. Nintendo has to have a different reason for not having ever emulated this co-processor, since the rights lapsed back during the early days of the Nintendo Wii. With so few games, perhaps there just isn't enough bang for the buck to justify.

Maybe we'll see it corrected, just like we finally saw bright and colorful NES games again with the NES Classic Edition, after years of the online experts on forums saying that it will never happen since Nintendo is afraid of inducing seizures.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

Tasuki

@DarthNocturnal They own the I.P. but not the technology for the FX chip. I forget who owns it now but Argonaut was bought out years ago and whoever bought them owns the rights to the chip. It's kinda like how Rare (Microsoft now) owns the engine for DKC series but Nintendo owns the characters.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

KingMike

Meowpheel wrote:

... What article...

The news article where NintendoLife announced the discontinuation of the NES Classic. Pat screencapped it.

As to what would be on an SNES Classic... trying to think from Nintendo's perspective (avoiding wishful thinking and predicting realistic choices), it's certainly going to be the popular games and they would try to put a variety of games on it.
first party games Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid are essentially guaranteed picks.
At least one racing game is sure, F-Zero or Super Mario Kart.
Definitely a Donkey Kong Country game. I think DKC2 is the fan-favorite, so maybe that one?
I'm sure either Kirby Superstar or Kirby's Dream Land 3 would get in.
EarthBound is a likely inclusion.

If Capcom and Konami supported it like they have the NES Classic and practically the only supporters of 3DS VC, then Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Mega Man X, some variant of Street Fighter II (I think they'd try to pick just one for representation, likely either Turbo or Super), Super Castlevania IV and Contra III are likely.
If they can license anything from Square-Enix, I'd think Final Fantasy VI is probably the best single choice (it's a tough choice to pick from Square's SNES library but I think the Esper system gives it a slight replay edge over Chrono Trigger. And also the FF name.) or maybe Secret of Mana due to the multiplayer aspect.

It's likely Japan would get Panel de Pon as an exclusive game. Not unless Nintendo wants to hack a new title into Tetris Attack, which they won't. (despite that it would be the first time they can't give us a Pokemon variant from a different console) Nintendo could swap a different puzzle game but I think the only other clear one they have is Wario Woods. (which actually was an exclusively-non-Japanese, as they only got some Satellaview version) Nintendo did release Dr. Mario alone in Japan, but it was supposedly a hack of Tetris & Dr. Mario to dummy out Tetris. (although in Japan and Europe, Sunsoft released a Hebereke game that was a very obvious imitation of Dr. Mario. Maybe they could release that as a stand-in... )
Japan would probably also get a Fire Emblem game.

A Super Bomberman game would seem like a good multiplayer game except those were designed with MORE than two players in mind.

I'm sure they'd want some sports games on there. Likely Super Punch-Out, possibly Kirby's Dream Course. But of traditional sports games I don't know what. The only option would be to try to get a Madden game out of EA but I don't think any 16-bit traditional sports games are fondly remembered and still widely played these days. Not like Tecmo Super Bowl (which is probably why its ancestor was chosen, with the rosters blanked out for legal reasons). And even if EA did allow a Madden game, they could still run into trouble with old rosters (as even they got in trouble one year when retired players sued them).

KingMike

Eel

Final Fantasy V on the SNES simply did not exist.

It just won't happen.

Four and six are the only viable options for a SNES Mini.

Bloop.

Eel

Oh no I totally got it, don't worry. I just kinda went on a tangent without notice, sorry.

They wouldn't use the localization made for a different console, mostly because it was sold as a PS game and never went trough the SNES, even if it's the same game... And since it never came out on the SNES (only the super famicom), then they simply won't add it to the hypothetical SNES Mini anyway.

Bloop.

Atariboy

Dylan Cuthbert said nothing about the Super FX chip itself being the stumbling block.

We're well past the point where any patent protection would exist. Spend 5 minutes in a search engine checking out Japanese, US, and British patent laws. There's nothing ambiguous about it at all when 1993 was nearly 25 years ago. The co-processor doesn't have any onboard software code that could still be protected by copyright (Which is why the Retron 5 for example emulates it with no legal ramifications), and only patents protect the actual design of a chip. The most that could possibly be under active protection at this point is the Super FX name/logo itself, and even then, I doubt it's an active trademark any longer since they have to be regularly utilized to remain protected.

With the Super FX chip in the public domain, that leaves the two games themselves as potential stumbling blocks. And even if the surprising happened and they still held rights to some of their code for Star Fox and Star Fox 2 (Dylan Cuthbert left for Sony in the mid 1990's and was the head programmer as I recall, rather than management or part of the legal team negotiating all the fine print), just what makes you think Nintendo didn't pick up any lingering rights when Argonaut Software went belly up and had its assets auctioned by the bankruptcy court?

Remember that Argonaut imploded right about the same time as when the Nintendo Wii and the Virtual Console service that promised to give new life to Nintendo classics was launched, so surely they'd of grabbed it then for a song if they didn't already hold clear title to Star Fox.

Reminds me of all the Earthbound nonsense for why it would never reappear...

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

FlyPhotoCo

I haven't bought a NES game for a while but noticed that I have Shatterhand (bought for $12) and is currently worth around $60

FlyPhotoCo

Luna_110

Finally played with my NES mini.... but the games kicked my behind. I barely got to phase 4 in the original Mario Bros, so I'll have to put in a lot of hours to get good! It's truly a delight, the control is just as I remember my cousin's.

bezerker99

bezerker99 wrote:

Nintendo sucks. They are a shell of who they used to be

lol i don't even remember writing this post and certainly have no clue what i was referring too at the time. Oh well, I don't seem to be so butthurt now over whatever it was lol

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.