Forums

Topic: N64 suddenly shuts off and restarts...

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

ZeldAlice

Just like the title says, today when I was playing on my N64 Zelda Ocarina of Time, the N64 suddenly shuts off but at the same time suddenly restarts. This has happened one time before this same year, even though it was a while ago. Has anyone had this issue/case? Is my N64 dying? I know that my N64 is long overdue as I've had it since I was 7 years old, now I'm 25 years old, making the N64 about 18 years old now. Is it perhaps time for me to buy a 3DS? If so, do they still sell 3DS and Oot for 3DS?
At the same time, even though Oot is avaible for 3DS, I'm still sad because I love the N64 version of Oot!
Please, someone, reply/answer me on this!

ZeldAlice

the_shpydar

I had the exact same problem happen with my N64 sometime last year or so. Sometimes it would be fine for several minutes, and then restart like you described. Other times it would go for a half hour or hour, and do the same thing. First i thought it may have been the power cord, so i replaced that, but still had the same problem. It was my original N64, which i bought in the Summer of 1997, and i guess it was its time.

I just ended up buying a replacement which thankfully has had no issues.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

BigBabyPeach

Cartridge-based systems are usually durable...If I were you I'd just disassemble your N64 and clean everything (especially the cartridge slot).
This guys's video is pretty helpful:

BigBabyPeach

ZeldAlice

Meowpheel wrote:

OoT 3D is sold as part of the Nintendo selects discount range.

What does that mean? Sorry, but I don't understand...

the_shpydar wrote:

I had the exact same problem happen with my N64 sometime last year or so. Sometimes it would be fine for several minutes, and then restart like you described. Other times it would go for a half hour or hour, and do the same thing. First i thought it may have been the power cord, so i replaced that, but still had the same problem. It was my original N64, which i bought in the Summer of 1997, and i guess it was its time.

I just ended up buying a replacement which thankfully has had no issues.

Mine, yesterday, did shut off and restart only that time and then it didn't do it anymore. The first time this happened it only did it that one time and then it hasn├Ąt shut off and restarted until this time. The machine isn't hot either. But I'm afraid of when this will become more frequent.

faint wrote:

you may have to replace the n64. The good nes is they are pretty cheap.

I can't, there are no more N64 avaible to buy anymore, at least not in Sweden...

BigBabyPeach wrote:

Cartridge-based systems are usually durable...If I were you I'd just disassemble your N64 and clean everything (especially the cartridge slot).
This guys's video is pretty helpful:

I could never do this. I know nothing of these things and If I would even try to open it up etc, I'd probably break it...

ZeldAlice

Luna_110

@ZeldAlice
To get a replacement, eBay is usually your best friend.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

ZeldAlice

Luna_110 wrote:

@ZeldAlice
To get a replacement, eBay is usually your best friend.

I'm not allowed to shop online...

ZeldAlice

KingMike

ZeldAlice wrote:

What does that mean? Sorry, but I don't understand...

"Ocarina of Time 3D" is a remake of Ocarina of Time, available for 3DS under the "Nintendo Selects" budget reprint line.
However, the original version of Ocarina of Time is not available on 3DS.

Is that what you were asking?

KingMike

Tasuki

@ZeldAlice Try thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets or even things like Craigslist. Those are good places to find older consoles.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ZeldAlice

KingMike wrote:

ZeldAlice wrote:

What does that mean? Sorry, but I don't understand...

"Ocarina of Time 3D" is a remake of Ocarina of Time, available for 3DS under the "Nintendo Selects" budget reprint line.
However, the original version of Ocarina of Time is not available on 3DS.

Is that what you were asking?

I know that only Oot 3DS is avaible for 3DS. My question is if they still selll both the 3DS and Oot 3DS.

Tasuki wrote:

Try thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets or even things like Craigslist. Those are good places to find older consoles.

I dunno. I just hope that my N64 will survive until Christmas so I can do a N64Oot Let's Play etc. Then for Christmas I'll probably wish for both a 3DS and Oot 3DS, even though Oot for N64 is far better. But what do do else? What to do?

ZeldAlice

Eel

@ZeldAlice what we are trying to say is yes, yes they still sell them.

The fact the game is part of the current Nintendo Selects line means "you can go and buy it right now".

The 2DS/3DS family is also currently available, they'll be available for a few more years I'd say.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ZeldAlice

Meowpheel wrote:

@ZeldAlice what we are trying to say is yes, yes they still sell them.

The fact the game is part of the current Nintendo Selects line means "you can go and buy it right now".

The 2DS/3DS family is also currently available, they'll be available for a few more years I'd say.

Ok, I see. Does this apply to other 3DS games too? Are they all still avaible to buy?

ZeldAlice

Eel

The console is still "current gen", with new games being released regularly and old games available through the eshop (or used).

Some of the older third party 3DS games, from before the eshop existed, are harder to find. But you won't miss much.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ZeldAlice

Meowpheel wrote:

The console is still "current gen", with new games being released regularly and old games available through the eshop (or used).

Some of the older third party 3DS games, from before the eshop existed, are harder to find. But you won't miss much.

Can games like A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team and Oot 3D be bought outside of eshop? I'm not much for buying the digital stuff.

ZeldAlice

Eel

I don't visit physical games stores too often, but I'd say yes.

Try looking around on the 3ds shelf next time you visit one.

Amazon and eBay are also excellent sources.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ZeldAlice

Meowpheel wrote:

I don't visit physical games stores too often, but I'd say yes.

Oh, I see. Thank you!

ZeldAlice

ogo79

having a n64 on off is what you want unless yer playing doom 64, what is wrong with people on here?

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

  • Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.