Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong1994

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

Themagusx1

I think this is a game that needs to get more exposure. It was a fantastic update to the classic Donkey Kong Formula, with added mechanics, and a fresh take on the formula. It’s too bad that This game did not have a true follow up. Yes Mario vs donkey kong are fun, but I would love more Donkey Kong 94 style games,

Themagusx1

Sunsy

@Themagusx1 Funny timing seeing this thread made, I was thinking about this game the other day. My dad had a copy of it to play on his Game Boy, and I played it too. It was a lot of fun, I don't even think it even got re-released on the 3DS virtual console, only the NES version of the classic Donkey Kong game (Donkey Kong Land and Country if you want to count them).

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

MarioVillager92

Sunsy wrote:

I don't even think it even got re-released on the 3DS virtual console

It did. Here it is on Nintendo's site.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 Whoa, not only do I stand corrected, this went right onto the 3DS wish list. Now I have an excuse to grab an eShop card. Thanks for the heads up!

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy Anytime, bud. I have it on my 3DS as well, I remember getting it around the time it came out after I lost my original cart years ago. If only it had the Super Game Boy enhancements though - but I'm happy to have that game back!

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

Themagusx1

@Sunsy Ih that’s cool and it sounds like a good memory to share with your dad. Oh yeah I am playing it on the virtual console as well on the 3DS. It’s aged really well, and I wonder if some of the mechanics in this game were lifted for Mario 64.?

Themagusx1

Themagusx1

@MarioLover92 It was the launch game for the super game boy, so the only enhancement I recall it getting is that one of the bordersfor the game was the donkey Kong arcade border. I am glad you also enjoy it

Themagusx1

MarioVillager92

@Themagusx1 Yes you're correct, there's also full color on the SGB and there's a voice clip from Pauline shouting for help. That backflip you can do is quite similar to the side somersault in Super Mario 64 as well.

MS7000

I originally didn't know about this game for a long time until I stumbled across a playthrough someone did. I saw that it had come out on 3DS Virtual console but never properly looked at it prior to the playthrough, but I certainly brought it as soon as I had another look following the video I watched. I had known about Mario vs Donkey Kong prior to it, so I was quite surprised by how many of the mechanics came from this particular game.

I feel like a proper sequel to DK94 would be perfect as a budget release on eShop. I wouldn't be opposed to a full-priced retail game, but I don't think Nintendo would be willing to make a full fledged game based around the same mechanics.

Edited on by MS7000

Signature, huh? Where do I sign?

KingMike

@MarioLover92 In Japan, Tetris 2 (Tetris Flash) was also released as a SGB launch game. Though I think that one added a border and a custom palette only VERY SLIGHTLY different than the default one.

I had only in the last few years learned from a collector that Nintendo did discreetly release the SGB "enhanced" version in America as a revision. (I know the copy I had as a kid was the pre-SGB version, there's only a very slight label difference to tell them)

KingMike

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 I think the Super Game Boy enhancements were what helped me remember it. I remember the colors made this one feel a little bit like a SNES game at times, even if it wasn't 16-bit title.

@Themagusx1 Yeah, I remember he had a Game Boy with this one and Space Invaders. Always dug how this one was more than just four levels. I need to download this one, never knew until last night it released since I don't recall any trailer or advertising it was on 3DS.

Edited on by Sunsy

Themagusx1

@Sunsy oh yeah for sure. I don’t think Nintendo was really any good at advertising VC games and there are games that I did not know were on VC. That space invaders was pretty neat on Super Gameboy.

Themagusx1

Themagusx1

@MS7000 Agreed and I think the price range should be between 9.99-7.99 for it.(I am in the States so yeah)

Themagusx1

Themagusx1

@CactusMan Oh yeah for sure I ageee, it would be super cool to have the borders and things like that. If you could choose five gb games for launch on switch online, what would your five be?

Themagusx1

Themagusx1

@CactusMan Those are great choices. Man Wario blast is so much, now add online or wireless connectivity and that will be great. Hmmm mine, I am trying to come up with a list.

Themagusx1

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic