Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 7,321 to 7,340 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Aha. Thanks for clarifying.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

rjejr

@NEStalgia "Then again everybody in the show pronounces "Enix" differently...."

My family of 4 watched the show together on the couch - YT on Switch - and we spent half of it discussing whether it's pronounced "E-nix" or "IN-ex". I've always pronounced it E-nix, probably b/c I like the long E sound more than the en sound. There's no I in Enix though, have no idea why the guy kept saying IN-ex.

My internet provider updated their web email website so I had no email today. Probably for the best but it drove me crazy none the less. The software for the website must have been made by Squaresoft, my Inbox says 999+. 😂

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

NEStalgia

@rjejr well it's romanized, but the Japanese エニックス (Enikkusu) would really be pronounced "en-nix" or "ehy-nix", so that's the correct accents.

Like you, i always do it wrong as "eey-nix" because the romanized logo would be naturally pronounced that way more often than not here. Like Pok-eey-mon even though even in English "pocket monsters" should be pok-eh-mon". But Enix is clear because it's Japanese "e" not Japanese "i", it's "eh" or "ahy" not "eeh" which is The sound of Japanese "i".

Apparently the company staff hasn't got that memo...

Your email count is missing a 9 to be an Eey-nix game

NEStalgia

rjejr

@NEStalgia "Your email count is missing a 9 to be an Eey-nix game"

Yeah maybe you're right, 9999 does look more right. Maybe by next E3.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Nobody except hillbillies and rednecks says "Poh-kee-mon". Everyone who knows the games and the series knows how it's supposed to be pronounced.

However, I'm with @rjejr on Ee-nix, though...
Eh-nix just sounds like crap and doesn't roll off the tongue nicely enough for us Westerners...

P.S. Those three 9's made me think of the game Ninety Nine Nights...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Banjo-

Final Fantasy VII Remake episodes is probably what they have done before with other Final Fantasy games like XIII. At the end of the day, VII Remake is a new game based on the characters and story of VII. Anyway, that would be better than adding extra chapters and a story fix to the same game over time.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Maybe in Amsterdam, but that may be more due to the permanently slurred speech from inebriation than proper knowledge of accented vowels Seriously, though, the majority of "American accents" pronounce it "Poh-kee-mon", myself included, even though I know it's wrong, it just comes out that way more often than not. I have to go into "Japanese mode" to end up getting it right. Same with "EEynix." American (at least East coast) accent does the hard E automatically. You have to consciously change it to end up with it being anything else. "Poh-kuh-mon" sounds really off here. The best I fix it to is the more Japanese proper way of "Poh-kay-mon."

That said, inexplicably Masuda tends to say "Poh-kee-mon" which makes no sense considering there's zero inclination of that for a Japanese 'e'. I swear he does it to troll.

for Eh-nix...it's just...I dunno..."eh"... Yeah I do the "ee-nix" with you guys, but the real correct one is "Ehhy-nix." Which is better than "Eh-nix" which IMO is a faulty attempt at Romanizing it, plus, depending which vowel sound it follows would come out that way in Japanese (like how the "n" sound is changed to "m" if it follows certain vowels or consonants, the mouth just doesn't naturally transition to "n".) So in general in Japan it would be "Ehhy-nix" after an "a, o, n, u", and "Eh-nix" after "i, y" (Not the kind of thing anyone consciously thinks about, it just kind of comes out that way because the way the mouth muscles work.) But it would ever be "EE-nix", yet I tend to say it that way anyway..... In English it just works better.

@BlueOcean at least it looks like they've really nailed the FF feeling this time rather than the interesting but odd XV. I didn't think they could pull off "hey it's just like FFVII even though it's not!" feeling. They still wont' say if it's PS exclusive though. Considering the last 2 and sequels have come to XBox and now VII itself is on every platform....it would be so weird to be Sony exclusive.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia It's always pronounced as "Poh-kay-mon" in the American-English anime series and movies, so no offense, but how anyone that knows these can still mispronounce it as "Poh-kee-mon" is truly beyond me. I also don't think it has anything to do with where you're from, hillbillies and rednecks aside...

It's really just using your ears, listening and parroting, basically.

As for Enix, that actually IS because I'm doubly influenced, so to speak. If I'd pronounce it in the correct way, it sounds like I'm not interested in the title of the company, like: Eh... nix. And "nix" (written as "niks" in Dutch, but sounds the same) means "nothing", so that would be like giving a sort of cut-off answer in which you wanted/started to say something, but ultimately decided not to bother...

"So, what's you're opinion on that, ThanosReXXX?"
"Eh... nix. Never mind... "

So, in this case, I think I'll stick to the mispronunciation of "Eenix".
Besides, half of the company is still undecided on how to pronounce it anyways...

Dezzy

Has there been any footage of the single player campaign for Gears 5? I haven't noticed any.

Woulda thought that'd be kinda important to show, as it's coming out soon!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Not everyone watches the movies or anime. A good deal of us knew the series from the silent games and the merchandise! And many more picked it up from 90's soccer moms who read it as the logical "poh-kee-mon" who then taught it to their kids that way, and how it's the cultural norm. So most people picked up "poh-kee-mon" And then everyone else parroted that. Seriously, nobody will ever say "poh-kuh-mon" here. Ever. Maybe, like, in, like, Califoria? Because, like everyone, like pronounces, like everything, like totally differently there? Like, it's like it's own accent?

The better way to pronounce Enix (the Japanese way) is to think of it in Cankuckistani. "Eh? Nix"

I'm hoping Gears 5 doesn't end up like Crackdown 3 considering they're not showcasing single player much like they did with Crackdown. I fired up Gears 4 for the first time last night just to see how the new game handles the game, and it's pretty good, so I have hope they can do it again.

Still...it's not quite the pacing of the Epic games....even though I officially hate Epic these days.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Not kuh, but kay...
And those knowing the trading cards, and games, know them from the shows, 9 out of 10 times, so I'm not buying that. The trading cards came AFTER the anime, so how else would they get people interested in them?

"See the show, play the game at home... "

And besides: how else would that joke about getting Pikachu on a bus work correctly, if you can't even pronounce Pokémon correctly?

By the way, as it so happens, the Japanese and Dutch have one thing in common where putting accents above letters are concerned: that accent aigu above the letter e makes it an "aye" sound by default...

On a side note: I also never lost my accent, so that one doesn't fly either. The time when I actually had to flick a switch in my head, is back in school, where I was berated for having a "far too American accent", which had to be changed to the Queen's English, to be able to pass all oral exams and such...

But I'm back to Cali accent now.

As for Gears 5: I just posted a clip of the single player campaign, right above your comment.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I've never heard the bus joke....better Pikachu than you, he's soft and plushy with nothing to break

Regardless of what you think people know about the name.... everyone here will say "poh-key-mon"....pretty much everyone. Right or wrong, that's just how it's done. Don't make me send @rjejr after you to go all Nuu Yawka on you

All that said, I'm not saying it's supposed to be "poh-key-mon", I'm just saying thats the only way you'll hear it in the region, and I tend to have a habit of doing it too. And yes, it should be "poh-kay-mon" though Reggie and half of NoA has always said "poh-kuh-mon." And most people here say "poh-key-mon"...and weirdly Masuda does often too (even though that's even more wrong in Japanese than English - ポケモン is quite clearly "poh-kay-mon", no ambiguity. He either trolls or hears too many people at Pokemon USA say it wrong too often and it rubs off. )

Well, Japanese romanization only standardizes as accents the notation for double consonants and such. There's no actual accents in the romanization (and of course not in the actual script.)

Oh gawd, a Cali accent. Do you, like realize? That, like I'm going to, like, hear you? Like talking like this? Like in my head? Like all the time? From, like now on? You can't undo it now, whatever you say. That is your new voice in my head forever more. Next to rjejr's Kermit.

Yeah I saw that clip after I posted when it refreshed. Looks good!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I think that a Windows and Xbox One version of FF VII Remake will be announced but I don't know when. I wonder why they don't delay the game a little bit (who cares at this point?) and release it on PS4, PS5, Xbox One and Scarlett at the same time. It would sell more than on PS4 alone.

Banjo-

Banjo-

You are lucky to not have heard Cork's accent.

Banjo-

rjejr

@NEStalgia Wait, why are we in the Xbox thread talking about Pokemon? What happened to the chit-chat thread?

And my sons always correct me that it is indeed Pok-HAY-mon, maybe w/o so much H, but I still call it Pok-E-mon b/c that's how I want to say it. I mispronounce everything though, almost as bad as my typing of Ntinedo.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Considering the game was first revealed and promoted at the "Year of Dreams" huge stadium PS show, and was arguably the biggest highlight to the audience that year, and made a big case for PS4 adoption (ironically but not atypically a game that only barely makes it in time for PS4), I wouldn't doubt that Sony paid a handful for exclusivity, permanent or at least timed. That was back when Sony still was a shareholder/board member at Square, and Square was still 100% Sony loyal, and FFVII itself was Sony locked since the 90's, before Sony started flipping everyone off, sold their stake in Square, and Square turned around and ported every Sony series to every platform including phones within 12 weeks. The exclusivity contract - for PS4- would have been inked back in that era. But, of course, PS5 and Scarlett probably changes the equation once they come out. It seems likely it will come to Xbox, at least Scarlett, after PS5 breaks the PS4 exclusivity, since this would now make it the absolute only numbered FF game other than the NES/SNES games to not be on XBox.

LOL on the Cork accent....I'm trying to picture that with "Enix" nad "Pokemon"

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@rjejr Pokemon transcends all gaming. Besides now that the Nintendo threads are all about Super Lucky's tale, Cuphead, Banjo, and Minecraft, we need some Poh-key-mon in the XBox thread.

Maybe it's an age thing? That, like, doesn't like, explain? Like, Thanos, though?

Maybe I'll just go full weeb and start pronouncing the o's with Japanese pronunciation too just to tick everyone off.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@rjejr Because @NEStalgia is weird and stubborn like that, that's why...

On a side note: your kids are smart. You should listen to them more often...

@NEStalgia The joke goes like this:

question: "How do you get Pikachu on a bus?"

answer: "You POKE him ON!"

Laughter all around, well, if you're a kid, anyway...
But bonus points for this joke regardless, because it gets the pronunciation right, in a phonetic way, at least...

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia P.S.

An accent does not by default include certain catch phrases or words. Accents predominantly consist of different pronunciations of the same words. And I've never been one to use "like" in every part of a sentence, or more than two times in a sentence. I've always seen that more as a thing for dumb blondes, or brainless college kids. (admittedly kind of a weird label, since you'd have to at least have some intelligence, to be able to survive in college... )

The phrase "Like, you know" more often than not reminds me of the movie "Clueless", and similar products of that specific time period.

@rjejr "Wait, why are we in the Xbox thread talking about Pokemon?"

Come to think of it, a far better question would be "what are YOU doing in the Xbox thread?"

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic