Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 5,161 to 5,180 of 11,903

PCkid

I'm pumped for the XO18 Special. I'm going to cross my fingers to get a nice surprise like the reveal of a new game never shown before.

Edited on by PCkid

PCkid

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Do you need a Mixer account?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

FragRed

@PCkid Not expecting unknown game reveals, but if anything new is announced game wise then Battletoads would be cool. All we got at E3 was a simple announcement but nothing else.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean You're welcome, glad you finally succeeded, otherwise the help wouldn't have been of much use either...

By the way: I'm not even remotely close to being an OCD person. The closest one out of the three of us you mentioned, is @NEStalgia, but even he isn't, and he isn't a nut either. I called him "bordering on OCD" in the recent past, but of course that was just for fun. In reality, he's just a video/audio nerd, or better yet: tech nerd, with a slight tendency to be a little too precise for his own good.

Or for anyone else's patience and understanding...
(sorry NES, couldn't help myself there)

As for me: I'm just not your average person, and like @NEStalgia, and @Ryu_Niiyama I have a tendency to use a "couple more" words than the average. Can't speak for the others, but personally, I feel like it's an age thing, because bar the odd exception, it's mostly us older gamers that use text walls.

For me, it's almost always an attempt to be as clear as possible, and that makes it all the more frustrating if people STILL don't understand me at times, even though to my eyes, I've explained everything in minute detail and elaborated on everything that I wanted to say, but regardless of all that, the occasional weird (and sometimes useless) discussion still happens.

For me, that is in large part because of having to interpret other people's text, and not hearing intonation and/or seeing someone's face, an advantage that would more than likely reduce most of these multi-page online discussions into 10 - 15 minute talks at the most.

In fact, I may have typed this whole segment for nothing, if you were simply making a bad joke, in which case I've most definitely taken the bait, so if that is indeed the case, well... ah, whatever. Well Just consider the whole middle part of this comment as never written.

Back to Xbox X018 Fanfest. The timer is set, the anticipation is on, not too high, but not too low either, and we're gonna watch on Mixer, for all the free DLC, obviously. Crackdown also downloaded. Never say no to a freebie, right?

@BrainOfGrimlock I do have two Xboxen, but one is an Xbox 360, and the other is an Xbox One S, so no RDR2 sharing on those two machines...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@FragRed I think to be able to claim the free DLC that they're going to give away, you would need an account tied to your Xbox Live account, yes. But that's a relatively small bit of effort. You can activate a Mixer account on your Xbox in the space of a couple of minutes, and then it is forever tied to your profile.

@Yosheel Not free games, free DLC, at least: far as we know now. The only free game that can be downloaded, is the original Crackdown. Probably a promotion for Crackdown 3, and a nice way for people to get into the series, in case they don't know it yet. And in case you're one of those people: get that free download, it's a good game.

Crackdown is basically a sandbox game not entirely unlike GTA, except it's set in a semi-futuristic world, where the crime-fighting cops can get all kinds of bio-upgrades, to basically turn them into semi-superheroes, so you simply start out as a normal cop, and while playing, you level up, and get stronger. There's also the obligatory shooting and vehicle driving and stealing/hijacking, except the over the top super hero antics makes it an entirely different game than GTA or Saint's Row.

Once you've leveled up far enough, you can jump over tall buildings and climb up skyscrapers in less than a couple of seconds, adding a whole different dimension to the game.

And there's also all kinds of cool and crazy weapons to choose from and to collect.

EDIT:
Seeing as you don't have an Xbox One yet, you can simply go here:
https://mixer.com/
Make an account, it's free. And be sure to use the same e-mail address and username that you're going to use on your Xbox One, so you can link the two accounts together.

On Mixer, you can watch both the Inside Xbox presentation, as well as the rest of the live streams, that will take place today and tomorrow.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Ryu_Niiyama

@ThanosReXXX Mine comes from an obsession with precision in language (plus tone is hard to read in text and I don't want to do like NES and flail emoji-fu everywhere) ...which also contradicts my personal way of communicating in a storytelling fashion (so I annoy myself.). Joy in seeing people that want to have a discussion, and the fact that I don't stalk this site enough to keep up with all the convo changes( I'm only online when I'm at work) so I tend to weigh in and leave. That is also why I keep my thoughts general rather than posting sources or going into as much detail as NES. Otherwise I'll need a convo thread. At which point it will be the 3 of us circling the wagon. Also people are so diverse in viewopoints even on common ground you don't know what will set somebody off. Age may have something to do with it (33) but I've always been verbose...likely partly because I am an avid reader and as I am an introvert I tend not to talk unless I have something to contribute to the conversation (unless it is a one liner).

Anybody know how long crackdown will be free? I forgot to snag it yesterday.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal That's what I meant when I said that you can activate your Mixer account on the Xbox One in the space of a few minutes.

@Yosheel doesn't have an Xbox One yet, though, so he will have to make an account, if he wants to get the free DLC.

Ryu_Niiyama

@ThanosReXXX I'll get on it when I get in from work tonight. MS requires a card on file on their website and this dragon don't play that. Hopefully I can snag it using the xbone store...otherwise I'll have to dig out the xbox. I wish there was some way to get a digital token for games you own physically. I get why you can't but it would be nice. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Banjo-

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

However MS has always had a 1st party diversity problem.

@Ryu_Niiyama I don't think that you are right at all about less variety on Xbox/Microsoft (unless you are talking about the first Xbox?) compared to Sony or Nintendo. If we consider first-party games the variety is quite limited on PS4 and, to some extent, on Nintendo, although they need to make more games for their own good. Talking about your favourite genre, Microsoft has Killer Instinct and Sony has nothing except a circumstantial deal with Capcom for Street Fighter V. You just prefer other platforms and that's fine, stick with them.

@ThanosReXXX @DarthNocturnal @FragRed I confirm what DarthNocturnal said, you can just sign in on Mixer with a Live/Microsoft account. It starts at 9PM (British time), you don' have to watch the whole show for the freebies. I always stop watching after the announcements when aficionados start talking about games or playing them, same for Nintendo when they start playing Breath of the Wild for an eight-hour session I turn it off.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

FragRed

@BlueOcean @DarthNocturnal @ThanosReXXX Cheers for the help. I have signed into Mixer using my Xbox account.

ThanosReXXX

@Yosheel Well, that makes things a whole lot easier. Just follow the steps that @DarthNocturnal mentioned, and you're good to go.

@Ryu_Niiyama You can indeed just log in on that link I gave you and buy the game there, and if you hate tying credit cards to accounts, you could just add a PayPal account, which is what I have been using ever since the Xbox 360.

@BlueOcean I'll watch the show anyway, or at least the entire Inside Xbox presentation. And I might watch some floor show stuff. I personally don't care too much about the freebies, so all I wrote about Mixer was more to help others. I don't own Forza Horizon 4 or Sea of Thieves, and don't plan to buy them any time soon, and the latter probably never, so those goodies aren't really for me anyway.

@FragRed You're welcome man, anytime. Enjoy the show.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Well, as long as it's not a shirt off our backs...

Banjo-

Well, we can't complain after free Crackdown, can we? With that, the freebies in the last years and Game Pass I almost feel spoiled.

But yes, it's going to be a pair of shoes and a T-shirt for Forza Horizon 4. Spinal figurehead for Sea of Thieves would be cool and makes sense after Banjo (that wasn't really Banjo) and Joanna Dark.

@Thanosrexxx so what are your favourite franchises? I thought you liked Forza?

@NEStalgia Where are you? Are you sabotaging the show streaming?

Banjo-

Ryu_Niiyama

@BlueOcean Opinions are wonderful aren't they?

I never said that I preferred other platforms as I play everything. Which is why I made the comment that I did. You are implying a level of bias that simply isn't present. For one I DETEST the dual shock controller (I've gone on rants about this and I hate to rant), as such Sony systems normally function as my exclusive box while xbox functions as my "multiplat and I don't feel like getting it on PC box". Nintendo is a free for all as I prefer their controllers and games overall. I don't care about console wars ...its a product. I care about numbers. How many games does a system have in a genre that I want to play? That's it.

You listed one fighting game, and then proceeded to list that sony has nothing but sfv unique which is not true but ok, fine I'll bite.

PS4 fighting games that are not on Xbone. This is a console comparison list and Windows or Nintendo don't factor even though I have them too.
SFV and Arcade edition
Fighting EX layer
Blazblue:CTB
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
King of Fighters XIV
Skullgirls 2nd Encore
Blazblue Centralfiction
Dengeki Bunko (it is an import so I won't count it in my tally below)

That is seven games to start. Which I play all of them and SFV is a major title to have no matter how you feel about it (I know casuals like to beat a drum about it). Not only that Sony has secured a number of exclusive costume deals with capcom as well which for those that care is a sway. I don't have the time to go into smaller titles at the moment. Buying a Fighting game system for me also requires an arcade stick investment and I'm not building my own currently. So that is at least another 150-300 investment on top of the system.

Ok now other genres. Xbox one exclusive genres (not I am not including bc...for two reasons, if it is worth it and of interest to me I own it on the old systems and also if you are buying a new system most care about the new games it plays and bc is extra) cover:
Racing (forza series),
Survival (dead rising 3/4, state of decay series),
Shooting both 3rd person and first person (Gears/Halo. Kinda sunset overdrive),
Action adventure (recore, ryse...whatever quantum break is supposed be)
platforming kinda (ori, rare replay).

https://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one

I am not knocking as I own some (most actually) of these games but it is a SMALL spread which was my point.

Sony:
https://gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4

JRPGS (ni no kuni/13 sentinels/persona/legend of heroes/danganronpa/neptunia/DQXI...I can keep going...)
Action Adventure (Uncharted/God of war/Gravity Rush/Yakuza series/Ratchet and Clank/infamous Second Son/spiderman)
Racing (GT...I consider it and Forza the same since I don't care about car racing)
Platforming( LBP/Knack)
Fighting (listed earlier)
Sports (MLB)
General exclusives, Sony has more ...I hate to do this but I'm behind on my purchases so I don't want to comment on games I have not played or dont know.
Sony is weak on shooters but they always have been.

My comment was about genre spread and diversity parity (which Sony out paces MS in both first party games and their genre spread as well as 3rd party exclusives. The difference is made up in multiplats and fanboys. And indies give or take. Sony List: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Interactive_Entert... MS list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Studios_video... You may not even like half these games...neither do I, but if you give me a list of xbox one exclusives and then ps4 exclusives and group them by genre, PS4 has more. Period. That sways purchases. It swayed mine for instance. I buy Sony and MS consoles once I have 5 games to play ( I feel that 300 worth of games is enough to warrant a 300-500 dollar system)...guess which I bought first? Again, I detest the DS controller and still do to this day.

So while you are more than welcome to disagree with me, please don't imply bias. Also please don't take what I said and distill it into "oh well she likes this system more". That means you didn't read what I wrote. I can't have a conversation if what I say is dismissed out of hand because you have your own preconceptions.

So no, my issue still stands. Genre spread is weak on xbox one exclusives. That doesn't detract from the hardware power, but I game on library alone, and solely that. Without a decent genre spread and in my case a focus on a genre I hate (first person shooting) means I can't knit a library together or recommend the system. For gamers that play a lot of different games and genres that is vital. Also please don't suggest I should "stick with" another platform just because I wasn't glowing in my comment, that's rude. I am not like the folks on the main threads that hate a console because the sun came up this morning.

I like Xbox, they have a controller that doesn't turn my hand into swiss cheese and a dashboard a little less busy than the ps4, but if they don't have enough games to keep a non shooter or racing fan happy, and one can argue that a racing fan can find satisfaction on the ps4. MS has always suffered from this though, and they have done fine...for the most part.

EDIT: Cleaning up for clarity and typos.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Banjo-

@Ryu_Niiyama I don't care about brands wars either but you said something that is not true. I already say that I respect that you like other platforms (I also do) so I don't get why you became so annoyed. However, you are lying (again) because we started talking about first-party games and now you list a dozen third-party fighting games. Also you are the one with a lot of prejudices like implying that I am a casual player or that I don't like Street Fighter when I do. And no, Sony doesn't have more exclusives nor diversity, you are using third-party games when we were talking about first-party games. Anyway, this is extremely inconvenient topic for this thread and people don't care about this here, so I'll leave it here and I'll stay on topic. What I said before I say it again, if you don't like it it's fine, I just replied because it's not the first time I see you write the typical misguided beliefs spread by Sony fans about Xbox, that's all. End of the discussion.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean Like Forza? I LOVE Forza. But recently, I've spent quite a lot of money on external hard drives for both my Xboxes, and on several games for the Xbox and Wii U, so I won't be buying anything else any time soon. Besides, I still have a MASSIVE backlog, so even if I did have the money or the will to buy Forza Horizon 4, I simply wouldn't have the time for it. Haven't even scratched the surface on some games yet.

And the backlog slowly but steadily keeps on growing by 4 games a month, thanks to Games with Gold...

As for favorite franchises: well, Forza, obviously, and other than that, my two most favorite Xbox franchises are Gears of War and Dead or Alive, and besides that, my taste is pretty diverse. I've got games in just about every genre, so you name it, and I've got at least one game in that genre. I like choice, and diversity. And of course I also own most of the system exclusive titles, such as the Halo games and so on.

One of my other favorite series is Darksiders, of which I have multiple versions, of both games released so far, on multiple consoles. (Xbox and Wii U)

And I love arcade racers, so games like Burnout, Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Need for Speed, Split Second, FlatOut and Ridge Racer are also in my collection. And I like hack & slash games, such as Ninja Gaiden and the highly entertaining (in my opinion) Shadow Warrior games. And I like games like Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno and so on. I'll stop here, or we'll have another text wall on our hands...

As for @NEStalgia: he's probably lying on the floor, ear to his external hard drive, to hear if it starts spinning up once the show starts on Mixer...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic