Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,301 to 3,320 of 11,914

Dezzy

ThanosReXXX wrote:

To only be able to find 6 or 7 good games amongst ALL the exclusives available on Xbox One, seems to point at having a VERY specific taste, though because the list might be shorter than the PS4's, but not THAT much shorter. No offense.

The list isn't that much shorter. But the list of exceptional exclusives is shorter. My tastes are fairly broad in gaming. I'll get Halo and Gears, I'll get Forza Horizon, I'll get Ori and the Blind Forest, I'll get Cuphead.
There are only a few genres that I just ignore entirely (sports and rhythm games mostly).
But Xbox needs some more high class exclusives from some other genres for sure. Fable 4 would be a good start, which I think we'll get at E3. Although god knows why they shut down the studio that actually had the reputation for making fairly good Fable games.
The next Halo and Gears definitely need to score higher than the last 2 did as well. The last 2 were the most critically disappointing games in their series, if you go with the metacritic scores.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

redd214

@Dezzy yeah this is a reason it was so easy to return mine so quickly, I struggled to get to 5 and I play every genre as well. I looked at that exact page and is no where near as robust as competitors exclusives. Take out kinect games, games since released elsewhere, and sequels that make previous ones obsolete (why look at forza 5 when 7 is out for example), and if you aren't a big Halo and Gears fan it becomes pretty paltry. Xbox really does have an 1st party exclusive problem this gen both quality and quantity, they definitely need to fix it moving forward. Hopefully Crackdown 3 turns out to be great and releases this year!

redd214

Dezzy

@redd214

Crackdown looks fun but it's also as stereotypically Xbox as any game I've ever seen. They need a big hit that's not a shooter. That's why I'm hoping for Fable 4 but other genres are welcome too. Having a good 3D platformer would be nice.
If I worked for Microsoft game studios, I'd get one of the best developers to make something like an exclusive Dark Souls type game. That genres so popular that it'd be a big draw for the hardcore gamers, like Bloodborne was.

Edited on by Dezzy

redd214

@Dezzy I agree, it's not a game that moves the needle for me either, was just saying that moreso so at least there is something for xbox owners to look forward to outside of the enviable next Forza game this year. Fable has been rumored of course but I feel that's still a couple years away. Wish Scalebound was still a thing, that game looked truly impressive.

redd214

Dezzy

@redd214

Yeah, the studio that's supposedly making it is a new branch of Playground Games (Forza people) and was apparently started in early 2017 so I'm guessing christmas 2019 at the earliest.
Unless they started working on it before 2017 and then expanded once it'd reached a certain level of development. That's possible. Lionhead was closed in 2016 so it's possible they told Playground to start work on it back then.

ThanosReXXX

Dezzy wrote:

The list isn't that much shorter. But the list of exceptional exclusives is shorter. My tastes are fairly broad in gaming. I'll get Halo and Gears, I'll get Forza Horizon, I'll get Ori and the Blind Forest, I'll get Cuphead.
There are only a few genres that I just ignore entirely (sports and rhythm games mostly).
But Xbox needs some more high class exclusives from some other genres for sure. Fable 4 would be a good start, which I think we'll get at E3. Although god knows why they shut down the studio that actually had the reputation for making fairly good Fable games.
The next Halo and Gears definitely need to score higher than the last 2 did as well. The last 2 were the most critically disappointing games in their series, if you go with the metacritic scores.

Well, you say you have a broad taste, but that ENTIRE list is apparently still not big enough for you to find some interesting games in. So, I guess it strongly depends on what you're looking for. I'm having a blast with my Xbox One, and I can't understand why we have to measure one console against other consoles to consider the worth of its catalog.

It should have worth on its own merit, not be some kind of checklist that tells you that there's less of this and that type of game, so you can deem the catalog less worthy or interesting. And personally, I only own Nintendo and Microsoft consoles, so it is completely useless for me to compare to Sony, because I'll never get one of their consoles anyway, so it's energy needlessly spent to worry or moan about which titles I'll never be able to play on the two platforms that I actually DO own...

As for Fable: could be, and I hope so, but for now it's just a rumor, and in this genre, the new studio still has to prove itself, or hopefully this new branch if Playground Games has some RPG/Adventure veterans among them, or at least some that have already made something similar, otherwise it isn't all that sure that it's going to meet expectations of long time fans of the series.

And Crackdown is far more than just a shooter. It's an open-world super hero (or more exactly: super cop) brawler, with guns, vehicles and fist fights. For all intents and purposes, it's almost a reversed GTA (just in case: because cop instead of criminal) with an extra dimension...

Ah yes, Metacritic... It's a site I rarely visit and when I do, it's mostly because someone mentioned it or linked to it in regards to a certain game or topic. Other than that, I couldn't care less. It's a bit how I see "serious" movie critics and their usual comments about Marvel movies and such. Most times, the criticism is harsh and the verdict is bad, and yet, the movies are nearly always highly entertaining.

Same goes, far as I'm concerned, for the Halo and Gears series. Sure, there are some lesser games in there, but all in all, I haven't found any of them come even close to being bad, so they all get a good grade from me. So yeah, I rarely "go by Metacritic scores". It's about my own opinion, or at most: those of my good friends, who know what I like or don't like. So, regardless of that catalog being bigger or smaller than, I'm having more than enough fun with it, and in the end, that's really all that matters.

As long as I myself find something entertaining and worth buying, I couldn't give a damn about what some review site says about it, much less an aggregate site that allows for unprofessional reviewers reviewers and haters to influence their aggregate scores. I still vividly remember some idiots giving Breath of the Wild the most ridiculously low scores combined with completely laughable "reviews", or rather: ill-informed opinions...

Anyway, to end on a more positive note: I think Microsoft will have some nice surprises in store for this year's E3. I agree that they really DO need to bring their A game, and from all rumors and reports going on, it is all but certain that they actually will, because they have to consolidate their current positive flow that they now have, thanks to their wonderful backward compatibility efforts, and build upon that with a decent catalog for the next few years to come.

Looking forward to all the great stuff that I'm sure we'll see, and I'm pretty confident that it's not just going to be the usual stuff, Crackdown 3 and possibly Fable 4...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

redd214

Rumors making the rounds of canceled Crackdown 3 pre-orders and another delay 😲

redd214

Haruki_NLI

This E3 has to be the best thing since the resurrection of Christ at this point

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

redd214

Lol 😂. Obviously just rumors at this point but the silence around this game is DEAFENING! Take into account the lackluster previews I remember from last e3 and this isn't a good look at all. Delayed out of 2018 or not this game really has to be special to overcome the gravity already pulling it down in the court of public opinion, hope they can pull that off. Only a week and a half to find out!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Grumblevolcano

I honestly didn't think Crackdown 3 would be 2018 as soon as Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced for 2018. What I didn't think would happen though is preorders being cancelled which would suggest the delay is further than Spring 2019.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

redd214

Yeah with the tepid reception of both State of Decay 2 and Sea of Theives they're kinda in a catch 22. Release another mediocre game and they'll get blasted, delay it again and they'll get blasted.

UPDATE: Head of games marketing Aaron Greenberg said the canceled pre-orders were technical issue on Amazon's part. He did not speak about rumored delay though.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Dezzy

YummyHappyPills wrote:

This E3 has to be the best thing since the resurrection of Christ at this point

You had to stay up to 4am because of the timezones for that as well.

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy Well unlike Sony, Microsoft has their show at a semi reasonable hour of 9pm. Works for me.

Im failing to see how they fill 2 hours though. Phil Spencer has been all talk for 4 years

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

DarkRula

If we take the games we know should appear - Forza, Fable [even if just a confirmation it's happening], Gears/Halo, Crackdown 3 - then look at the list of properties they own, it could be that they revive a few that haven't been seen for a while like with Killer Instinct, along with hopefully something new. While I know Midtown Madness is never going to be revived while Forza Horizon exists, I can hope for it year after year. Much the same as Hydro Thunder. A current gen version of both would look stunning.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

NEStalgia

Crew: Wow I have the first on PS and haven't even played past the tutorial yet! I considered signing up for the beta, but then I thought about the idea of software so raw even Ubisoft calls it beta and decided to give it a wait.

@ThanosReXXX Pensions....you kids get pensions? We get a pay cut and a hard labor sentence. Being old is a crime here, you know! Pfft, fluffy bottomed Europeans.....

Hmm, I'd like to think I don't have more than you....but then I think of the piles. The PC game box piles (the old BIG ones...remember those?), the crates and crates of cases. The ones stacked on top that fall over every few days.....that doesn't even include the NES/SNES carts away in storage (and I fear water/critter damaged after a disaster, but I'm too fearful to ever check on them), I don't know, maybe it's a draw. I might be worse though. NES, SNES, Genesis, the PC decade+, PS2, PS3, PS4, X360, Vita, 3DS, DS, WiiU, Wii, PSP UMDs(!), GCN, GameBoy......I don't even know where half of these are

@Dezzy "Although god knows why they shut down the studio that actually had the reputation for making fairly good Fable games."

Peter Molyneaux. Man could burn through money (almost) as fast as Kojima and cause twice the stir.

In a way now that I have 1X I think of PS4 like most think of a Nintendo machine. It's a great exclusives box Xbox does do the multi-plats so nicely. Especially the X. I fired up Assassin's Creed 1 yesterday. DANG that game looks GOOD on the X! It's not even "1X Enhanced" officially. I played the first game on PC on a screaming rig back when it came out. On the 1X it looks much better, with more effects, and rock solid framerate, way better than the old Vista PC. It doesn't look as good as Origins but honestly it looks like a new current gen game except some textures and low poly models. It honestly feels like an HD port. Can't do that on the PS4. Also tried the "1X enhanced" Jade Empire and KotR.....they both look very good (well KotR never looked very good, but Jade looks great). Annoying 4:3 letterboxing....I forgot how old those things are. It doesn't look "new" due to the models being so low poly, but it looks "good" all the same. Funny that it takes "the most powerful console ever" to run 18 year old games......but such is how it is.

Is "Dark Souls" really a "popular genre" though? Or is it a fad that by the time 4 year turnaround is over, it's already too late? I suspect the latter. Bloodborne was a draw for the Sony crowd because anything Sony is a draw for teh Sony crowd. (I say that as one of the Sony crowd.... But I don't like Bloodborne at all. Not even for free.)

Trouble is MS closed MOST of Game Studios in the latter 360 era feeling that they'd rather just get all the 3rd party support and be done with it. They know they need to rebuild it now, but that takes time. They really messed up during the "Kinekt is the future" era.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX The critics absolutely have a point though. Overall, XBox1 plays the exact same games Playstation4 plays, and plays them roughly the same way, but while MS has a handful of generally modestly decent additional exclusive games, Sony has a mammoth catalog of mostly critically acclaimed extremely memorable games. Even if they do all feature the Naughty Dog camera.

I like things that X1 does. Particularly with 1X I like playing multiplats on it more. I like the interface and multitasking more. I like the digital ecosystem more (thus why it's my digital console.) I love the back compat. Assassin's Creed and Jade empire alone sold me. I like that image of "this is like PC, your games run forever on the newer hardware and get better." That's a plus. But if I were not someone with decades of gaming history to want to return to, if I were setting out to "buy one console" and try to decide which, what do I see? Console A that plays games A, B, C, and D, plus a handful of decent but not amazing games unique to it, and Console B that plays games A, B, C, and D, plus a boatload of mostly amazing games unique to it. Which one looks like the better bet? If I buy console B I get access to play almost every game on the market (save Nintendo, and the so so MS games.) If I buy console A I get to play all the same games, except for that big catalog of great popular games. Why buy console A? They play all the same games, and console B has so many more top shelf ones? Yeah, the ultra BD player for the HT enthusiast sector. But Ultra BD isn't exactly lighting fires right now.

That's Microsoft's dilemma. They tried to sell it as a TV integrated box. That bombed. The 1X is an easy sell as "cheap mini PC". But it's expensive for a fairly niche audience like myself. Selling the 1S against the PS4 is a challenge. Same price, for less top shelf games and similar performance.

With a 1X, the X1 is an easy choice for all but Sony exclusives for me. If I had a 1S....would I really have incentive to use it verus a PS4? (assuming I'm not anti-Sony like some unnamed misers. )

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

redd214 wrote:

Rumors making the rounds of canceled Crackdown 3 pre-orders and another delay 😲

Oh for heck's sake.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Want me to expose my back so it's a bit easier for you to stick your knife in?

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Sony is the be all and end all of console gaming and we all should have a PS4.....

Errrr..... NOT.

You see, what I'm absolutely and vehemently against, and what I also tried to get across in the previous comments, is that A: I don't compare consoles based solely upon their exclusive content, and B: it's pretty useless to do if you're not interested in their exclusives anyway, much like how some other people aren't interested in the Xbox One's exclusives. How many vs how many there are doesn't matter at ALL in that respect. And I would only be interested in a handful of them anyway, so the rest of that much larger catalog means nothing to me.

But let's put it differently: say I wanted to buy an exclusive car (and actually had the cash to do it), and I had the choice between a Ferrari (or a Lamborghini for all I care) and a Rolls Royce. And the metaphors for the exclusive titles would then be the respective options that those cars offer.

Well, let's say I chose the Ferrari, and some other, rather crazy people ( ) tried to convince me that the Rolls would have been a far better deal, because it has more seats, more room for luggage, and it even has a built-in mini-bar AND it's better/more practical to use in every day life than a Ferrari.

What the hell would I care? I've got a friggin' Ferrari, and I don't care about the surplus of options that the other car offers, as long as I can sit in it myself, and drinking and driving is never a good idea anyways, so who gives a crap about a mini-bar....

Okay, back to consoles. Chances are, my metaphor doesn't quite cut it for some people anyways, and I hate being misunderstood/corrected...

So, sure, Microsoft made some mistakes, but they didn't commit any heavy crimes, at most it was a bit of shoplifting, and they're doing wonderful things with the X now, and are MILES ahead of any party where it concerns backward compatibility. so far as I'm concerned, the whole Microsoft has messed up and we're never going to forgive 'em is getting REAL old, REAL fast.

Also all the rather tepid expectations for E3, or even some Nintendoom-style apocalyptic predictions are now doing the rounds, which are based on absolutely NOTHING. Like I said several pages back, I firmly believe that Microsoft is going to have a pretty solid E3, simply because they can't afford to mess it up, and seeing as Microsoft isn't in it just for fun, I'd suspect that they will take the opportunity to solidify what they've already (re)gained so far, and then go from there.

It's not going to be bad or worse than previous E3's, it'll be good. And either way, they still have the most powerful console in the world, so besides first party efforts, they are without a doubt the best platform for third party titles, also because of their still superior online service. And I'm not talking about free games or deals...

Oh, and before I forget: even with the humble One S, I'd still have a better media drive than the PS4/PS4 Slim...

Besides that, it has the superior controller, much better/more varied AV output, 4K media streaming and game upscaling (vs only HDR support "for select titles" on Sony's base model), more memory, larger capacity hard drive options and let's not forget that the One S is available at a lower price.

The only real downside (if you don't give a hoot about Sony's cinematic QTE events and actually interesting titles that are continuously postponed, sic) is the slightly less powerful CPU/GPU combo, but other than that? Not really all that much (far as I and other people not interested in said exclusives are concerned)...

But in the end, it's all about personal preference and interests in whatever floats your boat, both hardware and game-wise. And that even goes for your always friendly, multi-console owning fellow NLife member, who currently probably comes across as somewhat of a diehard Microsoft fanboy, but what can I say? I'm completely happy with my two Xboxes (Xboxen?), so I'll defend them to my last breath...

Last gen, I went with the Wii60 combo, also because most of my friends owned an Xbox 360, and since I was already a dedicated Nintendo gamer, and had my personal issues with Sony, as you know, I decided to stick with that combo for the next generation, and so did all my friends. I'm now actually behind them again, because I haven't got a Switch yet...

Some additional info and facts to support my claims/opinions, and also some that doesn't, so everyone can make an objective, well-informed choice or form an equally well-informed opinion, if they haven't already...
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/xbox-one-s-vs-ps4-slim/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/xbox-one-vs-sony-ps4-28...
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one-vs-ps4,review-2543.html

Enough said: on with the show. Here's to a great E3, even for Sony...

P.S.

You completely missed/forgot about responding to this comment...

P.P.S.

How's about that invite, huh?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic