Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 12,601 to 12,620 of 12,677

Grumblevolcano

@X-Slayer The latest game appeared in the Japan top 10 charts consistently for almost a year reaching a total of around 2.4 million sales (the game is only in Japan).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

@TommyTendo Nah, the board can refuse an offer without it going to the shareholders if they want to based on it not being the best thing to do for the company. It might bite them back the next year when they vote on the Directors if the shareholders aren’t happy though.

You're probably thinking of a hostile take over when a company buys as many induvial shares as possible.

Activision was very prone to this buy out due to what a mess the company has been in for the last few years.

@X-Slayer It was a tongue in cheek comment but Japan has moved on from JRPGs, it's all about the board game simulators now!!!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

JaxonH

Jeff Grub just released an article which says Activision actually approached Microsoft, not the other way around.

Apparently they were facing a lot more trouble than just behavioral, as they were struggling to keep talent, struggling to branch out beyond CoD, and the lawsuits just made it even harder to get new employees. So they started shopping themselves around to see if anyone would be interested in buying them out. They approached Microsoft, and they of course jumped at the opportunity.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Zombie Army 4, Splatoon 2
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

I just tried Xcloud on my phone...

Holy crap.

I'm not gonna say it was perfect- there was no stuttering, at all, but the screen would get this refresh line moving down from top to bottom every 10-30 seconds. Not game breaking but annoying. The lag was about the same as Control Cloud version on Switch, maybe a bit better. It was definitely playable, that's for sure. I was playing Forza Horizon 5 with an Xbox controller.

All I'll say is, this won't replace devices like Switch which offer native games that don't depend on internet, but in 5 years, when all the kinks are ironed out and lag is virtually imperceptible, it's gonna feel like playing on native hardware. After experiencing it for myself, I'm sold.

And not so much for replacing portable devices, but for replacing consoles. Because consoles are always at home with internet anyways. If you can just stream to your TV that comes with a built in Gamepass app? Why ever bother buying a console again? That may make some of us shudder at the though, but these Gen Z kids, they don't care. They were born into a Netflix streaming subscription based world.

$15/mo and you have access to all the games you'll ever need, playable immediately on your TV, or your friend's TV under your account, anywhere you go, really. Just grab a controller and play. No downloads, no installs, no $70 game purchases...

This is the future. When I think of cloud in terms of Stadia being the future, I laugh. We all laugh. But when I think of cloud in terms of Gamepass Xcloud... I've suddenly become acutely aware this is the future that's going to replace home consoles.

PLAYING
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

RR529

@JaxonH, Yeah, I subbed to Gamepass Ultimate over the summer just to try out cloud gaming (don't have an Xbox newer than 360), and it worked super reliably to my surprise.

I played both on my Fire tablet (though I had to sideload Google Play first to get the app) & my phone (even bought one of those controller accessories that turn your phone into a little gaming portable), and it worked great on both. As you said there could be the occasional image artifacting (not sure if that's the right word), and if I played for like an hour there might usually be one very brief stutter during the session at some point, but it was a much better experience than I'd have imagined. Mostly played Forza Horizon 4 & Dirt 5.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

@RR529
I have a case on my phone with a kickstand and I don't want to deal with taking it off. So I was thinking about buying a $200 Pixel 3 or something just for Xcloud, and that Kishi accessory that turns it into a handheld.

Or, buying a phone clip mount for the Xbox controller

Reason being, Xcloud is going to use gyro aiming. But I'm not sure if I'd stream like that versus just trying games out on the TV without gyro, and buying on Steam if I like it. Idk. It would be a good option to have though. Gotta wait and see how this whole gyro thing pans out

PLAYING
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

ShamanKing

It was to be expected

Edited on by ShamanKing

ShamanKing

Ralizah

@ShamanKing I could see them using access to CoD as a bargaining chip with Sony in the future.

Which seems to be what this tweet is communicating if you read between the lines even slightly.

Ralizah

JaxonH

Ya.

existing agreements and desire is about as non-committal as it gets, leaving the door open for negotiation. I’m quite sure they do “desire” to keep CoD on PS… certainly the current games already out and in the pipeline, but not necessarily new games in the future. Unless, of course, Sony agrees to Gamepass on PS. Which I believe MS already stated would be a requirement for their acquisitions to appear on rival platforms.

Or, maybe he’s just feeling really generous and wants the goodwill, and thinks Gamepass day one with exclusive content and/or delayed release on PS is good enough. If that is the case I still don’t foresee it staying that way beyond this generation. They might wait for a clean break next gen, and make it clear from the announcement of the new system that their IP will be exclusive moving forward.

Either way, he said more by omission than anything else. The distinct lack of desire for all their other properties to appear on PS means we can pretty much chalk up Diablo, Tony Hawk, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Guitar Hero, console World of Warcraft, Overwatch, etc. into the same pile as Doom, Wolfenstein, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starfield, Outer Worlds, etc. and that’s not even making mention of the countless other IP and studios from Bethesda like Arcane, or Double Fine, Rare, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, or even their own in-house studios that are still going to pump out games like Halo, Halo Wars, Gears of War, Gears Tactics, Forza, Forza Horizon, etc.

Gosh dang they’ve got a killer spread now. They honestly don’t even need Call of Duty to be exclusive. They’ve got more than enough as is. But CoD will be the nail in the coffin, exclusive or not. Day one Gamepass with, at the very least, exclusive content or timed launch, or Gamepass on PS5, will put in plenty of work on their behalf.

PLAYING
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Matt_Barber

I don't see that much point to getting Game Pass on PlayStation. Before too long, every smart TV being made will come with streaming apps for both platforms built in so it'll be moot.

So far as CoD goes, I'd think that it's just too big as a cross-platform game to successfully turn into an exclusive, and the player base would sooner revolt against Microsoft than switch platform if they tried. They faced a similar dilemma with Minecraft a few years back and opted to keep it on competitor platforms, so I'd reckon that they'll do the same.

Anyway, Game Pass is going to look pretty packed in a few months time. I wouldn't be surprised if they hike the price to start paying down that $70 billion though.

Matt_Barber

Pizzamorg

I honestly have no dog in this fight, but I have to assume there is some sort of alternative reading of that message Phil Spencer is using internally. If they really did pay 70 billion, making COD exclusive would've surely been one of the most obvious ways of justifying that price tag. I just can't imagine they'd spend all that money and let Sony just continue as they always have. I dunno whether they'll make some changes in the background to make it way more expensive/less attractive to Sony to get the games on their machine or something, but it just makes no sense for Microsoft to give themselves no real benefit from this.

Also, for all of those saying Gamepass will be on PlayStation, I always thought that was a really weird argument, because wouldn't GP on a PlayStation make Xbox redundant? As you'll have the full Gamepass library + the Sony exclusives, all on one console? Unless they do a not as good service for Sony? But that just seems like loads of work, with no clear gains.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Mario Tennis Aces. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond. RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. WWE 2K22. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

jump

Pizzamorg wrote:

I honestly have no dog in this fight, but I have to assume there is some sort of alternative reading of that message Phil Spencer is using internally. If they really did pay 70 billion, making COD exclusive would've surely been one of the most obvious ways of justifying that price tag. I just can't imagine they'd spend all that money and let Sony just continue as they always have. I dunno whether they'll make some changes in the background to make it way more expensive/less attractive to Sony to get the games on their machine or something, but it just makes no sense for Microsoft to give themselves no real benefit from this.

Also, for all of those saying Gamepass will be on PlayStation, I always thought that was a really weird argument, because wouldn't GP on a PlayStation make Xbox redundant? As you'll have the full Gamepass library + the Sony exclusives, all on one console? Unless they do a not as good service for Sony? But that just seems like loads of work, with no clear gains.

Well they haven't paid $70b yet as the deal is yet to go through but I'm not sure why that amount would be in doubt since it has to be documented as part of the takeover anyway. It could potentially go up if Sony or another party wants to try to put in a bid. The takeover wont be complete til a years-ish time and during that time Microsoft aren't allowed to have any say in how Activision is run due to competition laws.

I don't know why everyone keeps focusing on COD when the biggest game they have got is Candy Crush. lol

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

DarthNocturnal

Oooo, sounds like Phil wants to take Toys for Bob (and other studios) off of CoD duty (Call of Duty... duty... heh) so they keep working on stuff like Crash and Spyro (amoung others).

Maybe get the Transformers license again, and have High Moon pick up from where they left off. War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron were pretty good.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Matt_Barber

@Pizzamorg Game Pass on Xbox or PC allows you to download the games and play them natively. If it ever came to PlayStation it'd be limited to streaming, as is currently the case with TVs and Android devices, which is going to be a second class experience for the foreseeable future. Also, around 80% of the Xbox library has yet to come to Game Pass, so it's far from the only reason to own one.

Also, the deal is locked in now, so the price won't change and they can't sell to anyone else. It'll just take time because it'll have to gain regulatory approval and go through a period of due diligence. That's essentially a top to bottom audit to ensure that there are no skeletons in the closet, financially speaking at least. We know they've got plenty of other serious issues, after all.

Matt_Barber

JaxonH

Got my Series X!

Setting it up now.

PLAYING
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

WoomyNNYes

@JaxonH Where'd you score your Series X from?

I was just going to say, after playing Forza Horizon 5 over christmas at my brother's, I'm starting to get tempted to buy a Series S. I'd probably only use it for Forza Horizon, maybe Rocket League. That $300 price point makes things tempting. Mind you, I've never wanted a digital only console otherwise.

Man though, if I ever wanted more games, I imagine that 512 GB drive would be a disappointment - because it's small. Horizon 5 is like 120 GB, I think. I know Horizon 4 was like 60 GB, and Horizon 3 was like 50 GB. (if my memory is right)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<=click for great video<3)
Rocket League liker
'Tendo liker

Eel

I can say the Series S has been more than enough for my Xbox needs. It's a great little console.

You can expand the storage with external hard drives, but so far I haven't needed to. If I want to play something else I just uninstall the games I'm not playing.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tasuki

@WoomyNNYes If you are just wanting a Series for one game and maybe Gamepass then the Series S should be just fine after all that what it's designed for.

I have both a Series S and an X and really the only disc games I use are my old Xbox and Xbox 360 games. If I didn't have those.I would have probably just got a Series S. But yeah for one or two games and/or Gamepass it's perfect for that.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

JaxonH

@WoomyNNYes
Gamestop had All Access Bundles with 24 mo Gamepass on a line of Credit where you pay $35/mo for 2 years. It was the only thing in stock so I took it. Then I bought 3 years Live Gold, for $55/yr on Amazon, redeemed it, then signed up for the $1 offer for Gamepass, and it upconverted all 3 years to Gamepass Ultimate. In addition, I still have the 2 years that came with the system banked, and can be claimed in Settings at any time. So I'm good til January 18 (my birthday) 2027.

I first got turned onto digital when modding my 3DS. I dumped my entire physical collection, and realized how insanely convenient it is having everything with you at all times, ready to be played. Then I got a gaming PC with Steam, and that's all digital, and that's what really pushed me over. Now I regret investing in all those physical games, wish I'd bought them digital to begin with.

Since I have a gaming PC, I already had Forza Horizon, and Halo and Gears and all that. And, with gyro aiming since Steam lets you map mouse to the gyroscope in about 5 seconds for any game.

For that reason I wasn't interested in an Xbox for the longest. But Gamepass happened. And I only use Steam on PC, don't like dealing with Windows Store or other launchers. Plus Xbox has a more robust Gamepass library, and easier in and out being a console with quick resume and HDMI CEC control which turns the TV on and switches the input when you wake from sleep. That was why I got one. Explicitly for gamepass.

And as with any console, if there's 2 games you're interested in now there will be 20 you find once you have the console in hand. Because then you'll be browsing the store and seeing things you didn't know about or didn't know enough about. Plus if you get Gamepass (which, at this point that's kinda the whole reason to get an Xbox), you'll have access to all kinds of games to demo risk free. That leads to playing games you may have otherwise never bought and tried.

$299 Series S is the best bang for buck console I've ever seen in my life. There are GPUs going for $1000-3000 right now, that don't provide graphics all that much better. And the entire console, controller and all, is only $299? They're practically giving it away.

Many games are not that large though, just an FYI. Some big games are, sure. But a lot of mine are much smaller.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
STEAM:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

The lack of physical BC on Series S is a big sticking point for me, and I don't really want to shell out $499.99 for a console that runs all the same games my PC does. I guess it's not much more than a mid-range GPU, but I also know I'll want to play games like the next DOOM and Starfield with mouse and keyboard.

Maybe I'll pick up a cheap used Xbox One at some point as a replacement for my Xbox 360...

Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic