Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,521 to 8,540 of 16,121

TuVictus

Never played a GoW game except the first PSP one, which I remember maybe 5% of. But the reviews and the comparisons to dark souls and metroidvanias has made me want to play it.

TuVictus

Dezzy

I'll buy it when it's about 50% of its release price. Which generally happens to all non-Nintendo games within a year.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

-Green-

Dark Souls comparisons are so hard to take seriously nowadays when it’s such a meme in the internet.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octane

@-Green- From what I've played of Dark Souls, I can see where they're coming from. I haven't played any other GOW game, but fights are tough, there's a lot of dodging, guarding, finding the right moment to strike, etc. I died too many times already lol.

Octane

TuVictus

@-Green- To be fair, that meme originated from slapping the "Dark souls" label on random games from different genres that had nothing to do with action RPG mechanics. At least here it makes more sense.

TuVictus

-Green-

I know where it came from and what Souls games are, it just feels like the usual to see comparisons made to it. If you get what I mean.

@Octane Is there stamina management?

Octane

@Tsurii @-Green- No stamina as far as I can tell. Controls are very similar though, right bumper for light attacks, right trigger for heavy attacks, left bumper shield, etc. I don't feel that the lack of stamina affects the combat too much. Whilst GOW is originally a hack'n'slash, but you cannot charge enemies and spam the attack button, you're going to die for sure, and quickly too.

Octane

-Green-

Sounds more like Bloodborne in that case.

TuVictus

The game that's extremely similar and is a part of the whole soulsborne thing. Yeah.

TuVictus

Dezzy

I think Dark Souls was definitely responsible for making more games with action-based combat try and focus on weight and stamina moreso than they used to. It's kinda pushed in the opposite direction to what the Arkham games did, which focused on incredibly scripted and rhythmic button-mashing combat. Both games lead to a series of copycats and what's happened is the Dark Souls approach has just ended up more popular.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

-Green-

Bloodborne does play significantly different from the first two Dark Souls game. Dark Souls 3 was more of an in-between of DS an BB, focusing more on speed and aggression rather than defensive and conservative,

TuVictus

@-Green- Yeah, I know there's some differences, but you can't pretend that you don't know the exact type of gameplay people are referring to when they say "souls-like". We know what they mean. No one says "Bloodborne-like".

Which is why they're usually grouped together as "soulsborne". For obvious reasons.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

-Green-

Well, yeah. Souls-like is usually referring to difficult stamina intensive combat, that focuses on dodging, but I stand behind BB's combat being substantially different from the other games in their series.

TuVictus

-shrug- I don't. I'd say yeah, if you get into the knitty gritty, you can pull apart tons of differences, but I stand by the idea that they're both part of the same unique type of gameplay design that so far only a few games have been able to emulate.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

-Green-

Whatever, it's fine. It doesn't matter.

btw, I got A Way Out to play with my sister. So far the beginning parts have been pretty boring.

Ralizah

Best Buy is having a PS4 exclusives sale right now.

Some standouts include:
Nioh for $19.99 ($15.99 with GCU)
Gravity Rush 2 for $19.99 ($15.99 with GCU)
The Last Guardian for $19.99 ($15.99 with GCU)
Shadow of the Colossus for $29.99 ($23.99 with GCU)

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

TuVictus

I feel like I should pick up Gravity Rush 2 just to have it ready when I eventually play those games. Heard great things.

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic