Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,801 to 7,820 of 16,083

Haru17

@Videogameguru50 Being slow isn't evidence of a plot. I mean really, if Sony had any sort of platform exclusivity for the game itself it wouldn't be launching on Xbox day and date.

If you turn 'I don't want to have to wait' into 'the game is immoral and wrong' both thoughts will lose their meaning.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I have no problem with Japanese culture in games! I want more of it actually! Nioh looked interesting, but seeing as I still haven't finished Bloodborne, I couldn't justify myself buying it. If I had to rank the best games of all time, you'd find that most of them are Japanese too. The only game I'd say is ''too Japanese'' for me, if that makes any sense, is Persona 5. But it's also a looong RPG, and my time is limited. The fact that Nier is a Japanese game wasn't the issue. The gameplay, story and setting just didn't grab me. Maybe I didn't get far enough to appreciate the game design, and maybe I shouldn't have done all the side quests the game offered me. But it felt like I was running around the map doing errands, and the only reason I was doing that was because I had absolutely no idea how to progress the main story. In fact, I still don't! The map is complicated (and so are the menus), there are limited save points too. I just gave up after a while. I'll give it another try this year, hopefully I'll like better.

EDIT: I don't think Metroid Prime has a 2018 window. I don't think it's coming this year, but I'm hoping for something like Pikmin 4. There should be a Nintendo Direct soon I think...

@Ralizah To be fair, I did forget about Nioh, and even Crash Bandicoot, but I have no nostalgia for that franchise. It's all subjective of course. Provided everything that is promised comes out this year, and assuming the games are as good as the trailers make them out to be, I think I'll end up liking this year quite a lot.

Plus I'm really looking forward to some of the indie games this year, including Vane, Tunic, Little Devil Inside, Praey of the Gods and Manifold Garden. Couldn't say that about last year unfortunately. Well, I did actually, but I didn't end up liking the games I thought I was going to like.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@YummyHappyPills Sony seem to consistently bring out their games from January to August, which is exactly what they did last year, then let the big third party franchises do the talking for the remaining three or four months of the year, given that it is a much tougher time to launch new games, especially new IPs.

Personally speaking, I don’t mind this, because third party games seem to go missing in the first half of the year in comparison to the latter half. This allows Sony to fill in the gaps, so to speak, and to have some much needed breathing room... and go on to have better sales than they would if they had launched around the time the likes of Assassin’s Creed, Battlefield (or Battlefront), Call of Duty and FIFA comes out.

@Octane I don’t think I phrased my question very well in regards to the whole Japanese culture scenario, but it was just something that I pondered when you mentioned that the trio of NieR: Automata, Persona 5 and Resident Evil VII doesn’t do anything for you. I haven’t even played the former two games so, you probably know better than I do!

I am well aware of your disappointment with the indie scene in 2017, and that you likely enjoyed 2016 more than last year - and that you are looking forward to this year - for similar reasons. Thanks to you, I have a keen eye on Manifold Garden, which looks like a first person Echochrome!

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Nah, it's just a coincidence I think! I haven't played a bunch of western games last year either, but that doesn't mean I don't like 'western games'. A good game is a good game, it doesn't really matter where it comes from.

Octane

Videogameguru50

@Haru17 The Xbox One in Japan barely sales, and Monster Hunter is mostly a Japanese franchise so the it's releasing on Xbox holds no water. Also you explain why they are releasing the p.c version 8 to 11 months after the release date

Videogameguru50

Videogameguru50

Also Sony has been the main marketing force for world and Xbox one version is hardly mention

Videogameguru50

-Juice-

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Great.

Now tell us about the game part.

Oh, well, the robot "enemies" look really cool, I like the rusty aesthetic contrasting with the overgrown plantlife aesthetic. The gameplay feels tight and refined, and the world itself is both open and linear at the same time. The game itself doesn't take long to finish, which makes the multiple endings feel a lot less daunting. The game also has some pretty creative boss fights.

@Videogameguru50 Wait, the PC version releases that much later than the other versions? That's really annoying.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Dezzy

Loads of people have said the story is really good in Nier Automata. What's it about?
I'm a sucker for a good story.
That genre of game almost never has a good story though. Bayonetta 2 was silly nonsense.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Androids, robots, weird naked dude, and err.. good question actually.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Have you played it? Cos if so, and that's your description, it doesn't sound very interesting

Octane

@Dezzy I quit sometime during my first playthrough. It's been a while, but I don't recall much of the story. Maybe I didn't get far enough, there were some weird things happening, like a robot theme park on steroids that was cool to look at. But I can't remember a whole lot more than 'go there looking for that guy', 'no, go there instead' in terms of story. I believe the world was a post-apocalyptic world, but it could've been on another planet for all I know.

I'm most definitely not the person to ask about the story details lol.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Lol, worst review ever.

Videogameguru50

@Dezzy You should totally play Nier Automata, it's a story about existentialism and what it's mean to be human.

Videogameguru50

darkfenrir

@Dezzy

Nier: Automata is a game where you play as Android, fighting off robots as the main premise... as you continue forward the story, the game will start giving you more information and answers and hints to what is the true nature of the robots, and what truly is happening throughout. A lot of the lores are also in the drama play, as well as the Grimoire book from NieR one.

The side quest also add to the lore, although at the beginning it definitely feel like fetch quest like what @Octane said, but it truly shines when you are at Route C, things really shine then. (I would suggest you try to finish the first two routes first, Octane XD)

It's a really great game imo. The OST is really top notch as well (Although I hate the desert's music)

darkfenrir

Haruki_NLI

"Don't worry. It gets good after beating the game twice!"

That's the most backhanded endorsement of any game I have ever seen. 0-0

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

darkfenrir

@YummyHappyPills well considering it's really build that way, the same as the original NieR (especially since the only same-y route is only the first two times, and the second time run you got trickles of extra information because you play as different character so it feels "different"-ish)

Since total game is around 40-60 hours, with 5 main routes, one route is around 10~ hours, which isn't... long. I only feel kinda bored on the Route B, but when Route C hits... ooo boy, things really hit the fan there!

Besides, Square Enix even have to put a warning to people to continue the game after Route A. So...

darkfenrir

Haruki_NLI

@darkfenrir I can't say a game built to be as uncaptivating as possible for 20 hours before getting good is a good game.

That's just me though.

darkfenrir

@YummyHappyPills I don't say it's uncaptivating for the first 20 hours. I say that the 2nd time around (means probably around the 11-20 hours mark), can be kind of boring since it's the same events- but you are seeing it in different perspective, as well as gaining some extra information you didn't have before.

(As well as looking at things with the information you got already in that first route, and then when you get to know some of the truth... dayum). For me, those extra informations really carry the Route B.

darkfenrir

Haruki_NLI

@darkfenrir Is the gameplay fun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic