Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 5,221 to 5,240 of 16,083

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

It sounds like maybe you're just tired of RPGs.

Not really, since I mostly stick to JRPGs anyways. I just don't think a lot of traditional Western RPG mechanics are fun at their core. I mean, I would have a lot more complaints I could be drumming up if we were talking about Baldur's Gate or Fallout 2. I just don't think Mass Effect benefitted from certain mechanics that people seem to feel made it more of an RPG. I mean, the combat_was_ wonky, and I spent a crapload of time with it, and quite frankly, the combat in 2 & 3 made it so that I don't ever want to suffer through that again. I also don't really care much about character customization, unless I get to try a bunch of different things in one playthrough (Skyrim is still one of the best Western games I've played simply because of how easy it is to max out multiple skills just by using them a lot). Not to say I dislike having options, it's just that I simply don't have the time to play through a long game multiple times, so I don't usually put much thought into how I build my character - I'm just gonna pick whatever sounds fun to use, and hope that works out (and quit the game outright if it doesn't, though I didn't encounter that with Mass Effect).

Sigh Anyways, at least Andromeda seems to be offering multiple available builds and won't restrict players to classes or anything like that, so on top of the big world they're offering, I'll still get to try different things so I'm less likely to get bored with it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

I'm not sure how GG managed to do it, but Horizon Zero Dawn is one of those rare instances in which the visuals actually, somehow, looks better and better as the game goes on.

Untitled

And it seems that NieR: Automata is receiving lots and lots of positive reviews too!

All these high quality games keeps on coming. There's simply not enough time in the day to enjoy/play them...

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo The environmental detail in that game is simply incredible.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

AlexSays

Looks like Nier isn't going to drop nearly as much as I thought. It's at a 90 with 40+ reviews.. crazy.

I was going to alternate between Horizon and Zelda but I'm going to set aside Horizon for afterwards. Want to take my time with both games and Zelda is much better than I had anticipated.

AlexSays

Octane

AlexSays wrote:

Looks like Nier isn't going to drop nearly as much as I thought. It's at a 90 with 40+ reviews.. crazy.

I was going to alternate between Horizon and Zelda but I'm going to set aside Horizon for afterwards. Want to take my time with both games and Zelda is much better than I had anticipated.

Same here.. I've played about 20 hours of Horizon, but I can't stop playing Zelda, I haven't touched Zelda since Friday! Maybe I'll try to get back to Horizon tonight, because I really like that game too.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

The latest issue of Famitsu has a brief update on the Final Fantasy VII remake.

• Seems there was some mistranslation in Magic interview; Nomura reiterates that remake's combat system shall be based on an action system, not command based.
  • A screenshot showed Cloud in cover, but it's to show that there are certain areas on the map where Cloud can interact seamlessly, and the cover is something completely optional.
  • The scorpion guard battle has map destruction, and some brand new attacks too. It will be a pretty flashy looking fight.

Not overly sure how I feel about the action-based combat, as opposed to the classic turn-based. If you're going to remake a game, try to retain and carry over the same mechanics I say!

At least the original game is on the PlayStation 4 for those who are a little bit downhearted about this news...

Peek-a-boo

Ryu_Niiyama

Has anyone gotten Ghost Recon: Wildlands yet? Honestly I'll be in a Switch coma for a bit, but I want to know if I should keep it on my list as a late summer game or not.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Peek-a-boo

@Ryu_Niiyama My friend who owns an Xbox One bought it the other day, mostly because there has been a dearth of games on the Xbox One this year, which isn't anything new in all honesty.

He says it is just 'okay'.

It isn't anything like the old classic 'Ghost Recon' games, whereby getting shot once usually meant you were dead!

'Wildlands' is more like 'The Divsion' with a pinch of 'Far Cry' that's set in an open world environment. Most of the reviews say that the (online) team co-operative modes are good fun, but is a bit of a bore on your lonesome.

Make of that what you will.

In other news, Gran Turismo Sport is coming along nicely:

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

c1pher_c0mplet

@Peek-a-boo I'm generally not a racing sim person (or at least I wasn't, I lean more toward arcade-style racers) but darn it that GIF looks simply amazing... I'll have to give GT another shot: last time I tried a racing sim was probably when the PS3 first came out.

Nintendo Network ID: NESb1t.CARTer
Currently Playing: Pokémon Sun

CliveWinston

Haven't played anything but WiiU for over 3 years...been extremely happy with it... but just saw some gameplay footage of H:ZD... wow!! absolutely stunning.... are there several games that look that pretty? roughly how many games are in the PS4 library, and are there a lot of really good ones?... perhaps I've been missing out...

CliveWinston

Octane

@CliveWinston The total library? Over a 1,000 games easily I think (1,350 according to Wikipedia), and those are just the retail games. There are probably just as many digital games, and many exclusives too. Whether they are good or not is of course subjective, but I would be surprised if someone couldn't find at least a dozen games that they'll like.

If you're looking for games that are good and also look good (in a photo-realistic way); there's Uncharted 4. Probably the best looking game on the PS4, although Horizon comes really close. Anything Naughty Dog makes looks good, even the The Last of Us remaster that is out on PS4 as well still looks good, and a sequel is in the works too. Don't know what you're looking for in a game though! Like shooters, platformers, adventure games? Just let us know and I'm sure we can come up with a fair amount of titles.

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama

@Peek-a-boo hmm. I'll wait and see then. I liked the idea behind siege but not the execution so I'd rather not go through that again. GT Sport huh? Reminds me that I need to get the newest Forza horizon at some point.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

CliveWinston

@Octane thanks for the reply ... by "good" I mean kinda like the equivalent of Splatoon, MK8, DKC:TF, BoTW etc. on WiiU... games that must be played... I usually enjoy platform/adventure games the most.. never been huge on shooters normally that's why I never researched PS4 more I was under the impression that and sports games was mainly what it offered... but saw that Horizon footage and was thinking man that sure looks good, if there's a bunch of games like that on PS4 I better check into it...

CliveWinston

Gamer83

@CliveWinston
Traditional platforming games have kind of disappeared, unfortunately, but Ratchet & Clank is an awesome mix of platforming and third person shooting (it's not your usual type of shooter though, and the weapons are very imaginative). It also looks gorgeous and I'm not even playing on PS4 Pro or on a tv with the option for HDR. Yakuza 0 is a great action-RPG, Resident Evil VII is a great return to form for that series if you like horror games. The entire Uncharted series is available, those are some of my favorite adventure games, they are very cinematic though. If you're willing to branch out of your comfort zone a bit I'd say look inFamous: Second Son or Gravity Rush Remastered and Gravity Rush 2, both are great open world games. It's always tough to recommend 'good' games because everything is subjective but I've had the system since launch and have a library of 40 games, give or take, physical and digital combined. Admittedly PlayStation is my preferred brand but I can't imagine there aren't at least 10 games you could find that would appeal.

Gamer83

Octane

@CliveWinston I see! Well, I haven't finished Horizon yet, but that's definitely one of the must-buy games for a PS4. I'm not a big shooter guy either, but I always liked the Uncharted games for their adventure, the first three are available as a remaster on a single disc, and the fourth installment was build from the ground up for PS4. There's even an Uncharted 'spin-off' coming later this year! Another must-play game is definitely The Last of Us, it's made by the same company that did Uncharted. It was a late PS3 game originally, it came out a couple of months before the PS4, but it was remastered later that year and it's absolutely worth it if you have a PS4.

Other than that, as Gamer83 said, Ratchet & Clank is good from what I've heard. It definitely looks like an actual cartoon. Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush 2 are two brilliant games as well (admittedly, I haven't even had time to play the second game, because there are so many great games coming to the PS4 in the first quarter of 2017). Also check out Tearaway Unfolded if you're looking for something more along the lines of a traditional adventure-platformer.

The Last Guardian, my personal favourite of last year, is another must-play. It's from Team ICO, the same team that made the highly praised Shadow of the Colossus for the PS2. The game is a wonderful and magical adventure, there's no other game like this.

I also think The Witcher 3 is worth checking out. Definitely the best open-world RPG (until Horizon maybe?), it's still amazing though. The game is huge, and the content is seemingly infinite. I've played over 250 hours and I still find new things to do!

Also, if you're a Zelda fan, you owe it to yourself to check out Hyper Light Drifter. It's not exactly like A Link to the Past, it's more fast-paced, but it's really good. I can list a bunch of more indies if you're interested in them.

...and I could go on for a while!

I'd say that my current personal favourites are The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3, The Last Guardian and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Octane

Gamer83

Two other games, I just thought of... Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and Rise of the Tomb Raider 20th Anniversary.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Grumblevolcano

So how is everyone finding the new update.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic