Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,541 to 15,560 of 16,083

BruceCM

Yeah & it's a tiered system, so if you didn't think it was worth going for more than basic PS+, you could still do that or go for the intermediate level .... They'll doubtless be revealing more soon enough

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Magician

@Ralizah

Agreed, not a terrible deal.

But at the same time not an amazing deal for platform agnostic folk like me I'd imagine.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

IceClimbers

Yeah the Premium tier isn't worth it just to have access to legacy content. The Extra tier could be worth it depending on what games are in the catalog though. I'll probably sub for a month just to try Returnal.

Game Pass is still the better value though.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

My understanding is that PS1/PS2/PSP games should be downloadable, with PS3 being the only fully cloud-only category due to the difficulty of emulating those games.

Oh ok. Still sucks any game is cloud only on a system more powerful than it ( cough Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 cough ) but 3/4 is pretty alright at least.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

@Ralizah
I can buy an used PS3 Slim machine with $120 and I can play ALL PS3 games + PS1 games with same region as PS3 machine region in disc. Way more economic and useful than subscribe $120 for PS NOW to play PS3 games by streaming with limited games library (I'm sure 100% Sony will not put Hannah Montana the Movie, Barbie & Her Sisters Puppy Rescue, Dance Dance Revolution 2010, Move games, etc for PS NOW).

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

@Magician Subscription services like this are a much better deal if you only or primarily game on one platform, since the only thing you're getting out of it is access to content. Someone who plays 1000 hours of GP games is getting way more bang from their buck compared to someone who plays 100.

It's why I'm letting my PS+ sub lapse next month. I just don't spend enough time on PS4 to justify the expense.

@Anti-Matter If you just want to play PS3 games then, yes, snagging a PS3 is probably a much better deal. Especially since shovelware tends not to explode in price over the years. Bargain bins worldwide are probably treasure troves for the sort of experiences you're eager for.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Anti-Matter

Untitled
Are You Smarter Than 5th Grader PS5

Untitled
Autobahn Police Simulator 3 PS5

Some upcoming PS5 games I want to play in the future. 😃

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

God that "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" PS5 game looks awful. The art style just feels super uncanny, and it doesn't look like anything that really should be allowed to be on the console it's meant for. Don't understand why there isn't much in terms of quality control on these systems.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

VoidofLight

Usually, games that cheap looking generally are awful.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

JaxonH

I passed on the deal where you could buy PSnow for $60 and unconvert to PS+ Premium ($120) because I just never play PS5 online, and tbh, none of their retro games interest me outside of 1 or 2 PSP games, and I have those on Vita (and will also have on SteamDeck). Retro games don't look good on the TV so I prefer those in handheld form to play. If you're really into PS1/PS2/PSP and were already subbing to the base service I could see that extra $60/yr being worth it, but for me it's not.

The reason Gamepass works for me is, I was able to get it for $55/yr upconverting Live Gold memberships on sale on Amazon. And that covers day one for every 1st party title and many 3rd party (Sniper Elite 5 is going to be day one GP, which I'm all over- I'd rather wait for the inevitable Switch port to purchase, so this let's me play in the meantime, WITH gyro aiming thanks to XIM Nexus- something I can't do with PS5 games).

I already own all the Sony 1st party games I want, so unless they're doing Day 1 for future releases, I'd rather just wait for the eventual Steam release where I can play with gyro. If they ever allowed 3rd party PS5 controllers so that XIM Nexus could work using their decryption, that may change things, but without the ability to use gyro, I have little incentive to buy anything on the PS. Unless it happens to be a game that doesn't require aiming, and isn't on Gamepass or Steam, and is something I'm super into and want.

There's just only so many subs I can justify. Gamepass I justify because, again, $55/yr for Day 1 exclusives, many Day 1 games and a great back catalog. Switch Online Expansion Pack I justify because it's $10/yr on Family Plan. That's a grand total of $65 I'm spending to have online access and the full spread on Switch, with online access and the full spread on Xbox. Paying double that just to add one more platform into the mix, without day 1 exclusives, without gyro, without any notable retro games I'm interested in... it's just not worth it.

If they did a family plan where it was like, $200/yr divided by 8 ppl so it was $25/yr per person, I'd totally do it.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BinaryMessiah

This makes me glad I have a massive physical PlayStation collection (all generations). I'm currently playing Parasite Eve II and I'm shocked at how well it's held up today.

BinaryMessiah

Nintendo Network ID: ivory_soul | Twitter:

jedgamesguy

Anyone on Gran Turismo 7 lately? I think it's made some decent steps so far. Nothing earth-shattering but some good steps in the right direction.

Since March they have:

• Nerfed World Circuit race rewards, then increased them again.
  • Improved car handling, generally by making the rear end more stable in GT cars.
  • Added a few more races (but nowhere near enough). They make getting credits a bit easier but there just isn't any variety. I'd love some Gr.1 races for Le Mans LMP1 cars, for example. Bring back the GT League from GT Sport!
  • Added new QoL stuff, like a wind marker, and moved the timer in endurance races to the middle.
  • Added three Suzuki cars.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Anti-Matter

@TheJGG
I would rather playing Racing with Ryan than Gran Turismo games.
Never like ultra realistic racing games.
Boring games in my opinion.

Anti-Matter

jedgamesguy

@Anti-Matter I realise realistic racing games aren’t for everyone, that’s a given. But Racing with Ryan? I can think of three games off the top of my head that you’d either like or have already played that are infinitely better than Racing with Ryan. Mario Kart (any game), the Sonic racing game, plus Crash Team Racing. Those three aren’t cash grabs by design, they have an actual purpose.

I suppose the most important thing about debating about video games, or anything, really, is recognising everyone’s viewpoints. I can see why you’d hate GT. It’s a bit sterile in gameplay and presentation and can be hard to master. But it gives a real driving thrill and there’s hundreds of cars to drive.

And naturally sometimes I’ll want to play Mario Kart when I’m a little tired, or just not up for high performance driving. They’re both fantastic racing games for different audiences.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Anti-Matter

@TheJGG
Things about me:
1. I don't drive cars and will not drive cars due to two reasons: really afraid with high speed (can make me get panic attack) and still concerning about gas pollution from cars. I don't want be another people who submit gas pollution from vehicles so I use my mountain bike to go any places, to my working place at school. No fuel, no gas pollution, easy to carry, perfect for me to drive alone.
2. I have ever tried playing Midnight Tunes Arcade, realistic driving games by Bandai Namco for two times and I didn't like it at all.
It was really boring and uninteresting to drive a car as smooth as possible without whimsical things from items to smack on opponents. I still prefer something kiddie than something too mature things. I still have very negative perceptions with every single mature things.
3. I have zero interest in vehicles nor even care about every single things about them.

I would rather playing Racing with Ryan than any realistic driving games because I always like kiddie looking games, even I am an adult male. Racing with Ryan driving mechanism was as good as Mario Kart games from the review I heard so I think Racing with Ryan is still a decent cartoonish racing game for me.
I prefer using a cute whimsical vehicles in racing games rather than ultra realistic licensed cars. I don't care with the brands or their names, I never have interest in vehicles, I will never want to feed my brain with such things like that. It just only made me like a dumb.

Also, driving games genre is one of very low interest from my gaming genre. I have very strong interest in rhythm games (Dance Dance Revolution, Para Para Paradise, DrumMania, Beat mania IIDX, Pop'n Music, Keyboard mania, etc), life sim games (The Sims, ACNH, My Sims), quirky games (Epic Chef, Miitopia, Tomodachi Life, etc). But I have very low interest in racing games despite I played Mario Kart games and other cartoonish racing games. I have zero interest with too popular games, boring mainstream sports games (soccer, basketball, USA football, etc), too Japanese JRPG with Bishonen / Bishoujo style, realistic driving games, handphone games, MMO games, MOBA games, Zelda games, Metroid games, Xenoblade games, etc.

Well that's why I'm different.

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

@WaveBoy
It's not perfect, but I found it pretty close to perfect. Good enough it worked for me. As for the game itself, from what I've played I found it fun, definitely had a really cool boss fight.

I've also played ASTRO VR. It's super charming, and movement feels good, but tbh it didn't really impress me much beyond the initial "this looks cool in VR". It's just too mechanically shallow. It needs more depth to where it's fun messing around. There's no ground pound or mid air hop or roll and jump, etc etc. It's why games like Mario Odyssey and DKC Tropical Freeze engage me- that and the meticulous level design.

I thought overall it's a charming game with solid mechanics but... kinda boring. The sequel on PS5 is much better imo. It has far more variety of gameplay, unique and interesting uses of the gyro and HD rumble, and despite still being mechanically shallow in terms of movement, it kept me smiling from start to finish.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

RR529

@WaveBoy, yeah, Astro Bot was great. Surprisingly I think my favorite VR game has to be Tetris Effect though (an absolutely revelatory experience).

Unfortunately it's been ages since I last dug out my PSVR though, just because of how cumbersome it is to set everything up, and how finicky the camera tracking can be (which was made much more apparent after I got some Move controllers. The extra freedom they offer is tempting, but the cracks in the tracking capabilities come through much clearer with them).

Thinking about picking up a Quest 2 though. I'd miss the PS exclusives, but it may be worth it just for the ease of use.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

@WaveBoy
The haptics are superb in Astro's Playroom. Perhaps the best of any game I've played to date. The "tink tink tink" pitter patter of his feet when running on glass just feels sooo satisfying. If there's one thing Sony does well, it's haptics. Nintendo does too, they just use it more sparingly. But when playing Switch Sports, that satisfying jolt you get when the bowling ball releases from your hand... it feels better than actually releasing the trigger like in past games.

RR529

@WaveBoy, have you played Farpoint or Wolfenstein Cyberpilot? I remember enjoying both of those.

There were these spider enemies in Farpoint (that jumped on your face) who's animations ticked just the right boxes in my brain that I jumped every time I saw one, lol. Cyberpilot was pretty short, but really interesting (my favorite mission may have been the one where you were controlling the little drone, sneaking around).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic