Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 14,721 to 14,740 of 16,083

Eel

@Zuljaras There's an aspect I loved about RE3R, and that's how customizable the unlocks are. You can get good enough at it and unlock everything with some planning. The game doesn't ask perfection of you, like other games with their unlocks, you can just save your challenge points and go for the things you want to get first.

It's the only game in the series I've completely 100% all by myself, whereas with RE2R, yes it's better as a horror game, but as a game, I played each scenario once and was done with it. RE3R? I basically became a speedrunner.

RE8 seems to take this aspect, which is good. Tough the challenges in this one ask for some random things (like having specific amounts of money), and mercenaries stuff, which I'm not super good at.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Zuljaras

@Eel I am biased myself as I really like Leon as a character I did not care for Jill that much

But RE3 is better for speedrunning!

And 3-4 months before the release of Village I got the RE craze and started playing ALL RE games I could buy! I admit I was a fan long before that in the 90s but I have never finished a single RE game!

Now I have went through all the main titles if you count the remakes. But I really want to complete the old 2 and Nemesis. If I am lucky I could find a good deal on RE2 for the N64

Eel

The original 3 is fairly unique because it has an element of randomness to it: every time you play, a few enemy encounters and puzzle solutions may be different.

And the original 2 went above and beyond with the different scenarios, they're much more involved than the Remake's. 2 effectively has two different versions of the events, while the 2R has 1 set story, with slight variations depending on who you play as first.

Interestingly enough, the original 2 mostly avoided the continuity problems the remake had (like the repeated bosses, and Anette's fate).

I absolutely recommend them!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

PlusUltra

Dezzy wrote:

@BruceCM

I maintain that Revelations 2 is one of the best in the series! It's probably my 3rd favourite after RE4 and RE2 Remake.

@Dezzy NOICE!

Revelations 2 is my favorite Resident evil. I feel its the most approachable and has the best balance of good stuff vs bad. I am looking forward to revelations 3 and I feel raid mode in revelations 2 is so good that it could inspire a new spinoff within itself.

I would like it if capcom built a small linear location much like and as good as revelations 2 locations but allowed players to semi craft their own story. No mass effect or outerworlds level of choice at all, but just being able to choose the order of which I tackle one large interconnected but linear setting and whelther I do it alone, in 2 player couch co-op, or in 4 player wireless, online.

Edited on by PlusUltra

PlusUltra

RR529

I think I'm getting close to the end of Jedi: Fallen Order.

I arrived at an ice planet today after the big Order 66 flashback segment. I defeated the last of those optional "legendary beast" bosses, & think I've collected the last of the terrarium plants, so I probably don't have much left to go.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Dezzy

@PlusUltra

I dunno about most approachable, I'd probably say RE4 is more approachable.

The reason I like Revelations 2 so much is because it probably does the best job of balancing action and horror in the whole series. You have RE1 and RE2 which are really great in terms of horror, then you have RE4 and RE5 which are great in terms of action. RER2 is pretty much half way between the groups.

I also happen to think it has great environments, which is important for this genre I think.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

jedgamesguy

Bought the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 compilation and started the original Kingdom Hearts. It was on a significant discount, so buying it at £9.99 was a very easy choice. So to those who recommended NieR Automata to me, I can 100% guarantee that’s next. But six games for ten quid? Bloody hell that is a darn good deal.

I’m absolutely shocked as to how well it holds up after... what, twenty years? The combat is not as fluid as it is in 3 but it’s still remarkably similar, plus the game running at 60fps is quite nice! It looks and plays much nicer than Final Fantasy X, a game released a year before the original Kingdom Hearts game...

The exposition section of Destiny Islands is taking time, but seeing as how this whole thing kickstarts a thirteen game series, I can absolutely forgive it. I’ve sunk an hour in so far and I’m already in shock seeing Tidus and Wakka just... existing in the game. It was originally marketed as a FF-Disney crossover though. Sign me up!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Eel

I find RE4 to be mostly just stressing.

Kinda like if RE8 was just the horde from the beginning, but repeated several times, and with older mechanics/worse controls.

(and on the subject of RE8, I've now unlocked the infinite magnum, so that should make it easier to complete a few extra challenges!)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

PlusUltra

I agee, revelations 2's great fusion of both playstyles into something everyone can enjoy is why its my favorite. Im not a true or good resident evil fan, I have only played 5, 6, orc, Mercs 3ds and revelations 1 and 2. I only desire to play revelations 3 maybe, also even though I definitely am an action fan the way 5 and 6 do action, too many set pieces and qtes, and orc did action just doesn't work for me.

Revelations 2 on the other hand I feel is a better and safer way to do action. Unlike orc its inventory and item management are much more satisfying and rewarding as is its offline options with couch co-op and invaluable character swapping although ORC probably has better character roles and like lost planet 2 Revelations 2 butchered the splitscreen.

I feel 2s locations even the ones someone might not like steal the show. I didn't like the prison and maybe 1 or 2 other spots but it was well done and I can say that about just about all the levels in the game. Going through locations twice was really rough though.

Revelations 1 was cool too I just didnt enjoy the ship. Lol I guess the confined levels of the ship proved too successful in unsettling me. I also didn't like story jumping back and forth in 1 and 2.

Edited on by PlusUltra

PlusUltra

Zuljaras

Just finished Revelations 2. I liked Revelations 2 way more than Revelations 1 but I did not quite like both of them.

The main titles are 12783127893612736% better than any of the spinoffs. My Code Veronica X copy will arrive in 2 days and I hope it will be better.

The action in both Revelations games was so generic. It felt that no matter what weapon I use it is the same. The only satisfaction I got was the exploding bottles and the Magnum ...

Barry and Claire were better characters than Jill, Parker and the rest in Rev1.

Currently for me it goes like that: Revelations 2 >>> Resident Evil 6 >>> Revelations 1.

Rev1 and RE6 were made so long that they even bored me. Just mindless action like in the Mila Jovovich RE movies.

After finishing 6 with all characters I can safely say that 5 is better!!! (I previously said that 6 is better because I only played Leon's campaign)

Now I prefer the "boulder-punching a@@hole!"

PlusUltra

The old movies are the best set up for that pristine post apocalyptic resident evil fan service game.

Explore random generated apocalyptic locales, recruit clones and different specific versions of your favorite characters and enemies from different RE games, build that harem, I mean base of boulder punchers and save the world one base and boulder punch at a time.

If Rick Sanchez can do it so can you.

Edited on by PlusUltra

PlusUltra

Dezzy

Zuljaras wrote:

The action in both Revelations games was so generic. It felt that no matter what weapon I use it is the same. The only satisfaction I got was the exploding bottles and the Magnum ...

I don't understand how they were different from the other games in this regard?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Zuljaras

@Dezzy Well for me it is. When using the shotgun in the other RE games it has weight to its power. Same with the guns.

Both Revelations games really show that they are budget titles and nothing more

The only other game I felt like that was Resident Evil 6. It was all about shooting and moving on.

PlusUltra

One of the weapon skills in raid mode increases impact of projectiles. Considering this skill I think maybe has multiple tiers like many other skills its possible they lowered the power of guns for this system.

Its been a while since i played through story mode and I dont usually return to them due to the fact I enjoy the weapons, unique character traits, and enemy behavior animations most about resident evil games and prefer the side modes since they usually lack things I didnt like in story mode. However what makes revelations my favorite is even though I dont desire to I could play through the story mode if I had to, whereas with 6 I couldn't make myself do it again. With 5 I couldnt but only because of how easy it is to die if you dont like or understand qtes.

Personally as someone who now finally understands I just don't like 5 and 6 I could still point out maybe a dozen things in both which makes me feel capcom is extremely talented at making games period. As I played though G. I. Joe Operation Blackout, a light blinked on in my head. I thought this is what I needed from 6, and the quality and quantity of 6's weapons, unique character actions, and controls is what I needed from GI Joe.

In joe aside from certain tank levels and short minigun segments (neither that I particularly enjoy but aren't bad either) you always have full control over your character which 6 needed more of. Where as Joe has that overall generic feel to it because its controls and animations lack that certain flair that 6 has.

If both games were more alike in their better aspects both could have been much better action games. Having played joe and 2013 infected wars where the guns feel slightly off I have to say revelations 2 feels better but maybe its because of the weapon skills I have attached to it and the fact that I always gravitate toward side modes more. In all resident evil games I am always in awe when playing mercenaries or raid mode with others and me or my fellow gamer pull off a shot at the last second when the enemy was about to attack one of us.

Edited on by PlusUltra

PlusUltra

Eel

I thought Revelations 1 was great, and much better than 5 and 6. Revelations 2 was also quite nice, but I liked the ship setting more.

However, Revelations 1 has those annoying Terragrigria stages that I wish you could skip.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

PlusUltra

Lol come on those hunters are capcom's mascot and calling card. The reason I cant agree on the guns is because how beautifully animated the hunters glide across the screen in revelations 1 and 2 like the air itself is made of butter and how quickly they show impact when you shoot them midjump even when you shoot them with a handgun if I am remembering correctly.

Being an on the fence newb action fan, of course I liked the non ship levels.

Edited on by PlusUltra

PlusUltra

Magician

(random)

I wonder how far along Gungrave G.O.R.E. is?

It was announced at TGS a couple years ago and...silence since then.

Was it shelved?
https://red-entertainment.co.jp/en/gallery/cat02/273.html

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

@Zuljaras Revelations 1 was super high-budget for what it originally was: a 3DS game.

Anyway, that game is much closer to what I want out of RE than Village, most likely. With that said, I wish the entire game had been set on the cruise ship. It was a fantastic, claustrophobic setting.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Zuljaras

@Ralizah I have a 3DS copy but I played it on the PS4. Maybe that is why it looked that way to me.

But Village is in another level. The first 2 lords are better than the others but still the game is so damn good!

Probably if I played Revelations when it originally came out on the 3DS I would have liked it. But the game was a chore. On the other hand I am quite liking Code Veronica

Edited on by Zuljaras

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic