Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 14,121 to 14,140 of 16,083

JaxonH

Cyberpunk looks great, as expected. Can’t say I am impressed visually though because... games all look pretty much the same to me now on power consoles/PC. They look great, for sure, but the way games look on high-end platforms have changed little in the past eight years, imo. That “omg this looks insane!” effect is kinda gone for good. Everything looks insanely perfect now. It’s just the norm (which is a good thing, it’s just no longer impressive). Then again, some games on Switch still impress me. I guess that’s because expectations are significantly different on that platform though, and we haven’t yet gotten to the “everything looks insanely perfect” level on handheld yet.

@BruceCM
There’s been problems with all external drives, SSDs included.

I, however, haven’t had any issues with mine after moving my PS4 games over, and I’ve been using rest mode again, and that’s also still without issue. I figure if it’s got problems I want to know about it as soon as possible. Because I’m not fully convinced all these issues are software related.

Man... I really like the PS5. The more I use it the more I like it. It’s starting to make me want to play games on it instead of PC. Because now I’ve got it automatically turning my TV on and switching the input like switch does, and the controller rocks, and it’s super fast and easy to use. What’s holding me back is the fact games still don’t have Gyro and I just can’t do it, no matter how much I want to. Such a shame.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

So, CDPR's games have GORGEOUS art direction, and this is no exception. But I also like the stylized realism of the character models. They look amazing, but you'd never mistake them for real people, like you might when looking at stills from TLOU Part II.

And Cyberpunk has an amazing atmosphere. It saturates every inch of Night City, from what I've seen.

Really excited to play this. Hope it performs well enough on my 970 until I get the chance to grab one of the newer cards. I'm guessing if I drop the settings to low I'll probably be able to hold a smooth framerate.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

The Series X looks better than I expected, so I'm more confident that the game running on a next gen console is enough. I may take the plunge this year, without the next gen patch.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

It's hard to be sure from this footage, but it looked like the Series X version was running at 60fps.

That's all I wanted really. The visual improvements in the next gen version are gonna be fairly minimal. Just give me the current gen version but at 60fps and I'll be totally fine with that.

JaxonH wrote:

Cyberpunk looks great, as expected. Can’t say I am impressed visually though because... games all look pretty much the same to me now on power consoles/PC. They look great, for sure, but the way games look on high-end platforms have changed little in the past eight years, imo.

The improvements have been fairly minor this gen, true. But I think the amount of detail and complexity they've managed to pack into openworld games has definitely improved. The sheer density of stuff in Cyberpunk looks about twice as much as Witcher 3 had.
(If density was measured in something like polygons per square meter, or per cubic meter)

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy YouTube compresses video, so it's never going to look as good as on a TV. I'm just hoping for the frame rate to be able to keep up with the insane amount of details. And I hope it's relatively bug-free, but I'll have to wait on the reviews for that.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Pretty much zero chance of a game like this being bug free at launch!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

@Dezzy
It’s definitely improving and will continue to do so. I can tell also. It’s just that games all look so perfect now and have for so long, it’s not really impressive anymore.

But that’s a good thing. It means we’re finally approaching the end of the graphics race journey. Once we hit 4k 60 across the board, it’s a wrap. Don’t care about anything beyond that. Don’t need 120fps, don’t need 8k. Still a long ways to go before portables get there, but at least consoles are just about there.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH LOL, I absolutely did not expect to see you in the PS thread....

I'm using rest mode for now, but I can't tell for sure if the fan remains running 24/7 or not. I remember launch PS4 did, and I saw that as a deal breaker for rest mode. They finally patched that out and shut the fan off. XSX does run the fan 24/7 in rest/instant-on, so I won't be using that mode. But it almost doesn't matter. I miss background patches, but the thing boots from cold to home in 15 seconds, and with Quick Resume, cold to game in 30 or less. I expect PS5 is roughly the same, but it doesn't have Quick Resume which makes me need Rest a bit more.

Using Rest so far, but wondering if I shouldn't until we hear confirmation of a fix.

I like the Dual Sense. It's definitely Sony's best controller by far. It's a bit....big. It's kinda heavy. But it's definitely the best Sony controller I've ever touched by a I mile. I loathed DS3. Hated, but didn't loathe DS4. This one's pretty nice! While the materials feel less premium I have to say the new XBox controllers are my preference...they're so....perfectly ergonomic it's like not holding a controller at all. They feel amazing. But "DS5" is right behind them.

PS5 and XSX both support keyboard/mouse, though not in all games, now, so that's an option if you prefer the console now. I'm too lazy to bother But they're both nice consoles. Slight preference for XSX overall....though that's in lieu of a PC.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Just because I’m not a fan of Sony’s policies doesn’t mean I can’t separate that from the games and hardware. I’ve always been a fan of their products, even if I’m not quite as keen on their 1st party output as I am Nintendo’s. I’ve owned every Sony console ever made- PSone, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSVR, PSP and PS Vita. I just quit playing PS4 because I prefer gyro aiming and hybrid play when possible, and that doesn’t leave very many games on the system. Plus the CEC HDMI never worked for me, making it no more convenient to turn on than my PC. And the slow HDD couldn’t compare to my NVMe SSD on PC.

But now, a lot of that is addressed. The PS5 doesn’t lag like PS4 did. It has an SSD like PC. The CEC HDMI works properly and turns my tv on automatically and switches the input, and a few games are starting to integrate gyro. And it’s BC with PS4 so the number of exclusives that don’t rely on aiming to need gyro is actually going to be a lot more than PS4 had, since it’ll be PS4 + PS5 games combined.

I like the DualSense, but I was just comparing to the DS4 I use on PC, and honestly... the DS4 feels more comfy. It’s less thick, which makes it less of a stretch for my thumbs to reach the analog. I will continue to use it on PC since those games aren’t going to have special rumble anyways, and the Gyro in the DS4 is plenty good enough.

I never liked KB/M so I don’t plan on using that feature at all. I’m a controller + gyro kinda guy. But ya, I love the console. I don’t have the new Xbox because... well, I have a PC, which offers all the games Xbox offers but with Gyro aiming and more storage. Plus I never liked the Xbox UI tile based layout. But I hear it’s a very nice console. Super quick and snappy.

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Oh, don't get me wrong at all, I'm exactly where you are in terms of - I'd put it more strongly for me - detesting Sony's policies, but like the consoles and games. I said on Push Square to someone yesterday that I love the console and I like a lot of Playstation games, but increasingly loathe Playstation the company. And I too own all of the above with the exception of PSOne. Never had one of those. At the time I never understood why anyone would buy a console from a VCR maker instead of a real games company: Nintendo & Sega. But I have a sizable PS1 library (legit discs) I played on PC emulation back in the day, so I technically played PS1, I just never had the hardware.

But after you went PC master race I'd assumed you were PC+Nintendo for life at this point. Especially since most of Sony's big games are coming to PC anyway.

Yeah the lack of gyro support on most games annoys me. And that's the one complaint I have with XSX, they failed to incorporate gyros into the new controllers and I think that's a huge miss. Though the controller, otherwise is utterly perfect. Thankfully I play so few shooters it's not a big hit to me, but if I did, it would be.

Ironically, comfort wise, you'd like the new XB controllers. I've always liked bigger controllers, though the DS may well be too big. But the DS4 always felt cramped...I truly hated that thing. It felt cheap, it felt cramped, it never seemed ergonomic. For me, DS5 is an improvement. Not perfect, but a significant improvement. Ironically the new XB controllers are actually their smallest ones yet - but to me they never feel cramped or too small...just right. Weird that Sony went huge, and MS went small.

Ahh, for me, even though I haven't done PC in a decade or so, there's still absolutely no parallel to mouse aiming for shooters and strategy. Nothing else even comes close. I put up with not having it because I'm lazy and sitting at a desk to play games was cool when I was 18 5 lifetimes ago, but I refuse to do so today. But I'm tempted every time I see games that say they support it!

Yeah, PC is more or less "Xbox Series Z" in every meaningful way. So it's still XB. The new controllers are amazing (best dpad of all time, any controller, ever, short of SNES), but no gyro....so for shooters, it won't be for you. FYI if you're ever buying the new XB controller for PC anyway, you may need the one with the USB receiver, they have that new near-zero-latecy bluetooth setup. For platformers, seriously, try one! DS5 dpad is the same spongy mess as DS4.

I love both new consoles. Hard to pick a favorite, really. I lean more toward XSX because of all the little things...it all adds up to just a smoother and more complete experience overall (and I adore the controller minus the gyro thing.) But a lot of that comes down to it being "more or less a mini pc." And for my ADD playing, Quick Resume is the cat's meow. I still imagine PS5 gets that at some point. They say it doesn't and that the tiles and fast SSD mean it doesn't matter. But they have that "Switcher" that has less than zero value, on the bottom toolbar. Can't tell me that's not a placeholder for a Quick Resume like feature.

NEStalgia

Octane

The PS5 Will be delivered tomorrow when I'm at work. I hope they'll deliver it to the neighbors.

At least I have the charging station lol.

Octane

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Ya, that was the plan, but I got lucky enough to get alerted to a preorder the second it went live, and I have a “order first, ask questions later” policy. Can always cancel if I don’t want it. And then they sent me my spare controller early, because I guess they moved the release date forward. Once I had that I figured I might as well keep the order in. So here we are. Plus, I was always going to grab one down the line, for the select permanent non-PC exclusives. Just happened a little sooner than I initially thought it would.

I always felt the Xbox One controller was too fat, and I couldn’t easily reach the bumpers with my pointer finger. If the XSX controller is better I may upgrade. I don’t use the Xbox controller much on PC because of no Gyro but it is a great controller for emulating certain games, where only Xbox controller is detected.

I don’t dispute accuracy of mouse, but like you, I have no desire to sit and play at a desk. My PC is treated as a console connected to the same TV as my Switch and PS5. And living room gaming needs a controller. I also despise keyboard for gaming anyways, even if I did have a desk.

I like the idea of quick resume, but I never have an issue closing a game out and loading another. It’s so fast anyways it doesn’t feel like a major loss. I would definitely appreciate having it though, if the system actually told you which games were left in a quick resume state. I figure that’s something they’ll patch in eventually. I can’t stand the stupid cards on PS5 though. That’s one thing I’m not a fan of. They show different areas and how much progress you’ve made and trophies you’ve earned... I have to pan through about 10 of them just to get to the latest screenshot I took. I’d rather it only had the screenshots and that’s it. But... that’s a very minor gripe.

The PS5 auto turning on tv and inputs makes it as convenient as Switch, And that very feature is why I predominately use Switch. Obviously the hybrid ability and Gyro is also a reason but the convenience is a major factor. Having that convenience on PS5 makes me really want to play all the other games on it, as PC doesn’t have that ability- I have to turn it on by grabbing my keyboard and hitting a key, then using tv remote to turn on and/or switch the input. But no gyro means it doesn’t matter how much more it’s convenient- I’m not going to play games without gyro.

The fact it’s so quiet also makes me want to play on it instead of PC, since my blower model 2080 ti is super loud. I tend to wear my headset with a Gaming on PC but sometimes I just want to play without a headset, so it’s definitely something that bothers me. I plan to upgrade to one of the 3rd party 3080 cards that has 3 fans and boasts being really quiet. Then I won’t have to worry about it. But I’m not going to do that until prices come down in a year or two. And not all games are super loud. MH World is though. I could play on PS5, where my save file is already in master rank, but I don’t want to pay $60 a year for the privilege of online when I could play for free on PC, and I have gyro mapped when using the slinger, AND it looks and runs better on PC with the high quality texture pack at 4k 60fps Ultra.

So you bought both consoles, then? Series X and PS5 Disc version?

Edited on by JaxonH

redd214

@Octane That's awesome! Happy for your guys over there to finally get your hands on it!

redd214

JaxonH

@Octane
Gosh dang it, the charging station is the one thing I HAVEN’T gotten yet. Keeps getting delayed. Now it’s December 3rd or something like that. The official one, that is.

redd214

For any US people who still need one, if you can luck out and beat the bots Walmart is going to have some stock tom at 3PM EST, good luck!!

redd214

Octane

@redd214 Yeah, looking forward to it! Astro's Playroom and Bugsnax tomorrow hopefully..!

@JaxonH What else did you get? It's the only accessory I got. I didn't really feel the need to buy another remote!

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
Just a second controller, charging station and 2 games along with the system. I already have a USB-C dongle wireless headset I use with Switch and PC, and it works perfectly on PS5.

But ya, the charging station got delayed which sucks. I like to have 2 controllers on the charge stand so I can swap one out if the other one dies. But once Steam adds full DualSense support I’ll probably just use the other for that. The headphone Jack on my DS4 sucks and crackles if the plug turns in the port. It might be due to the fact it’s slanted on the controller. The DualSense headphone Jack is on a more flat surface. And I like having the option to plug in Bose earbuds to the controller because it feels like wearing clouds in your ears. Sometimes ya just don’t feel like wearing a headset.

TheFrenchiestFry

I think it looks good, and definitely more polished than LBP3, but yeah not a game I'm picking up until it gets a price drop at a PS Store sale or something

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

Not sure how to feel about it. Think I liked the 2D approach better, although I’ve never been a particular fan of LBP franchise. Same for Tearaway, same for Ratchet and Clank, same for Sly Cooper, same for Crash Bandicoot, same for Spyro... I’ve just never liked PS platformers much.

That said, if I had to pick one to play, it’d definitely be Ratchet & Clank. I’m keeping my eye on Rift Apart.

redd214

@WaveWitch we've been loving it! Much much better than 3 but not quite as special as the first 2 games. Game is a blast in coop, thankfully I've got 2 wingmen to play with, but if you'll be playing solo experience may not be as good. If you're on the fence I'd say just wait for a sale or at least until the online update drops. If I had to put a number on it I'd give it a 7.5-8/10

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic