Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 11,381 to 11,400 of 16,083

Octane

@NEStalgia People have been saying Sony should've done this sooner rather than 3 separate press conferences and their own PSX event. Now they're doing it, you're going to complain they're doing the same as Nintendo?

Nintendo doesn't have the exclusive rights to video presentations. Sony's skipping E3; so they need a way of communicating the details of their upcoming games, and this is a great solution imo.

If Nintendo ever pulls a Zelda orchestra during a live presentation, you won't hear me complain either!

Octane

WebHead

@NEStalgia this stuff is not exclusive solely for Nintendo to use. Good ideas should be followed. This idealogy is getting old.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

NEStalgia

@WebHead It's not so much about whether it's Nintendo's to use or not, it's about Playstation's pretty much life-long history of copying Nintendo from beginning to end. I mean, they needed to siphon from Nintendo just to start Playstation. I mean it's just comical how little they innovate much of anything at Playstation. Their strength has always been their content, which they've kept a unique identity for. Nintendo tries new things. Sega tried new things. Microsoft, for better or worse, tries new things. PS just kind of sits back and watches what everyone else is doing and then does one of them. They always have. Their "winning E3" strategy was, up to present "go last, and undercut the other guy" PSVR is probably the first time they've stepped out of the box ever.

For corporate it's just kind of humorous. The fanbase is gross though. For years we heard how Nintendoomed was abandoning E3, doing just videos, how important the live presser was and how Nintendo is so detached. Now Sony ditches E3 and the live presser, and suddenly it's the best idea ever they should have done years ago!

I'm still sad that E3 will be close to non-existent though. When we're all relying on Ubisoft to anchor the event, you know we're in trouble.

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

I'll keep an eye on it. Medieval's the only Sony published game currently announced that I care about at the moment, so new announcements would be welcome. Not really expecting much, though.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

WebHead

PS5 will definitely be a big event with a conference though.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

NEStalgia

@WebHead Most likely, yeah....those big reveals need the press and the investment groups there....it's as much a business strategy presentation as a promotional one, and always delightfully derpy.

NEStalgia

redd214

Microsoft is doing an indie focused presentation the next day. Gosh how can they be so brazen in their copying the Nindies format. They should be ashamed of themselves!

/s

redd214

Grumblevolcano

@redd214 In the Twitch/Youtube chat: "Where's Halo Infinite?"

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@redd214 Yeah but Microsoft's presentation probably includes actual Switch adverts now....

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

Good, I'm so sick of live presentations nowadays. Google Stadia's reveal and Sony's past two E3s were just the worst. They can be cool, but overall I just want the information without any fluff or awkward statements. Leave the PR stuff with journalists, not on stage.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario In some ways I agree. EA was a shining reason why to end the stage show. OTOH, that was that personal company link to the people making products in an age where "authenticity" is valued. Even if it's manufactured authenticity. This kind of reverts back to the 80's were product comes from unknown faceless company that consists of no people, just faceless mechanical operation systems.

The Nintendo Directs worked best in the Iwata era because it still was the people that run things bringing you information. THey went into "corporate protoprompt" mode after, but they've returned back to having Koizumi, Masuda, etc fronting them. It keeps it human, creator to beholder. Most of the other companies cut out the humans and go with slickly edited advertisement reels in full corporate protoprompt mode. I doubt Sony-Columbia-Tristar will do differently.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Tsurii Funny how the table flips. Year of Dreams stadium show versus the XBox derp fest became that slick, bombastic XBox show versus Sony's weird amateur set building show, and the SCEA president sitting in a press box showing controllers.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia I get that, but at the end of the day both Directs and live presentations are PR. It's just that Directs are... well, direct. And I massively prefer that because I want the information, not the information paraded around ****-waving and small talk.

@Tsurii That's what I was thinking of when I said they could be cool. And while I was invested in Microsoft's conference, that's a pretty big outlier.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

KryptoniteKrunch

Good stuff. Seems like the big live conferences get more awkward and pointless as time goes on.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario you mean kojima walking out on a beam of light to say "I'm here" wasn't a good enough reason to invest 2 hours of your day?

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Man, I do not like recent Kojima much. MGS4 and MGS5 are not very well balanced between gameplay and cutscenes. MGS4 skewed way hard on cutscenes, MGS5 was severely undercooked and had little story that didn't really please much Metal Gear fans.

I am negatively hyped for Death Stranding, and a part of me thinks that it's not going to be this huge groundbreaking thing gameplay-wise. It's just going to be some weird narrative. And while I like my weird narratives enough... nah. I'm hard passing.

Octane

@NEStalgia FYI, he actually said ''I'm back!''. And yes, I did remember that.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane whichever word, the whole moment was embarrassing to watch

@EvilLucario yep, right there with you on kojima and death stranding. I couldn't get into mgs5 at all. Ground zeroes was decent but felt like a Ubisoft game... Then the end went off the rails and left me with a bad image of it. Then 5 opened turn the whole hospital thing, none of which felt like mgs at all, and narratively was terrible. Then by the time it got to a firey horseman of the Apocalypse chasing a truck i pretty much clocked out. Then after that, more Ubisoft.

NEStalgia

redd214

Just an FYI, Starting April 1st, you will no longer be able to purchase full game download codes from retailers like Gamestop, Amazon etc. DLC and PSN cards can still be purchased. Full games will only come from the ps store itself. Not a huge deal but a change nonetheless.

Consider this still in rumor territory until confirmed though.

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic