Forums

Topic: Retron 5

Posts 101 to 113 of 113

8BitSamurai

Ryno wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

JCnator wrote:

Have you updated your system software to v. 0.2.2 and its application to v. 1.5? It might resolves some of your emulation issues. Trouble finding the website? You should got to: http://retron5.in/

No, I'm gonna do that when I can get around to picking up another SD card.

On this firmware, most of the games play, but there's just a ton of glitches. In Crystalis the screen would shake violently every time I started to talk to someone. Top Gun had game breaking graphical glitches, Joust wouldn't work at all, and The Mafat Conspiracy would play, but the save states didn't work since it didn't recognize the cartridge.

@8BitSamurai; How about Urban Champion? Does it play in all its glory? That is the only game I care about.

It was so amazing it actually melted my Retron 5, and started my house on fire which caused it to burn to the ground.

I'm typing this from my cardboard box using the neighbour's wi-fi.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

ogo79

ill tell you this, the retron 3 has none of this BS.
ive tucked away all my original systems to preserve them, and the r3 still works fine years later.

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

the_shpydar

ogo79 wrote:

ive tucked away all my original systems to preserve them, and the r3 still works fine years later.

Seriously. I know my R3 is still pretty new, but i have not had a single issue with it. Nothing but perfect.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

Seriously. I know my R3 is still pretty new, but i have not had a single issue with it. Nothing but perfect.

ive had this specific one for like 3 years. as long as you dont yank the carts out like some idiot or stand on it and twerk on it i think the retron 3s are cool.

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

JCnator

Last week, I saw a RetroN 5 sitting on a retro game store that isn't too far away from my hometown, priced at 199,99$ CAD. It seemed like I'm about to have my preorder being shipped soon.
Turns out it was true. The Canadian reseller where I placed my preorder confirmed that the first batch of RetroN 5 systems will be shipped after September 2nd, along with a 3rd party SNES controller in case my Super Retro Trio wouldn't work with the system. Can't wait getting my hands on that system!

JCnator

JCnator

My RetroN5 has just shipped since yesterday morning, and is expected to arrive in my home before September 9th.

Also, it's worth mentioning that there will be eventually an official firmware update that enable IPS patching. For those who don't know what is this, it's basically a patch file that fixes and add things to the existing game, such as replacing Japanese text with English.
As of now, this function isn't available on the latest stable version, but it's there in v2.0 BETA 2 and 3. The latter of which is considerably improved because it now accepts patches that expect a header, and many of them actually do. Still want to try it despite the risks associated on running Hyperkin's beta version? Go there.

JCnator

Tasuki

How much are these things going for? I am curious since I dont have the room for all of my retro consoles anymore, since I moved.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

JCnator

RetroN 5's price vary between $149.99 and $199.99 depending on the reseller. It's definitely not the cheapest clone console out of the market, but it's definitely worth the asking price, especially if you go for the lowest possible.

JCnator

Tasuki

JCnator wrote:

RetroN 5's price vary between $149.99 and $199.99 depending on the reseller. It's definitely not the cheapest clone console out of the market, but it's definitely worth the asking price, especially if you go for the lowest possible.

Cool thanks. I know a local retro shop near me sells clone systems, I saw a RetroN 3 there awhile back, so I might check them out at some point.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

VmprHntrD

Retron5 currently has been sampling their betas publicly for those who are willing to try starting with 2.0b1. b3 is out now, and this cycle has added some incredible stuff. The three huge things would be quick booting of the games, IPS patching of Japanese carts (by using the SD card to copy IPS files to the R5 storage) and Super Gameboy game borders/effects.

My Personal Video Game / Accessory List
http://tanooki.byethost16.com/

JCnator

I just spent some hours with my newly arrived RetroN 5 and with a few games I own. I'm actually pleased to see that many of my games worked quite well. The only technical shortcomings that I've seen with my system had are:

• Mario vs. Donkey Kong (U) has its menu cursor animation frozen instead of fading during the black loading screen and is remedied after that
  • Bahamut Lagoon (J) has RetroN 5 failing to copy its save file to the console's memory; the OS didn't spawned any message box after finishing the process. I think I'll boot it up with my Super Retro Trio and see if the original save data was erased afterward. I've barely made any progress in that save file, so this is non-issue for me
  • Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) has the screen stretched way beyond my 720p HDTV's display when the "Force Native Resolution" option is on and you're outside of Opening sequence and the Mode 7 World Map

All of the games I've played run just great. Here's which games I tested:

• Yoshi's Island - Super Mario Advance 3
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA)
  • Drill Dozer
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 - Super Mario Advance 4
  • Fire Emblem (GBA)
  • Tales of Phantasia (GBA)
  • Star Fox
  • Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt + World Track Class Meet
  • DuckTales
  • Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun
  • Vectorman

Current system software version is v0.2.2
Current application version is v1.6; I did updated the v1.5 that was initially pre-installed
Hardware revision is v1.0, with the internal storage of 3.1 GB

JCnator

VmprHntrD

You really should get 2.0b4 which just came out. All the upgrades in the beta2 cycle would really add to your system enjoyment and it is entirely stable. They don't put those out if they can cause problems on their end and it shouldn't on yours.

My Personal Video Game / Accessory List
http://tanooki.byethost16.com/

Super8-BitBen

Been having display problems with the latest firmware update. It seems to effect the SFX Games on SNES for example Starfox the intro is messed up and the graphics are messed up aswell. I’m using PAL Carts.

Super8-BitBen

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.