Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 241 to 260 of 2,134

CanisWolfred

Chris720 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Chris720 wrote:

P.S. Why can't this site come with some sort of notification system? I never know if someone tagged me in a post/comment or not and then I randomly find one.

We do. It's in the settings.

I checked through all that and it's all on, but where do the notifications go? My email?

Yes. I mean...where else would they go?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chris720

CanisWolfred wrote:

Chris720 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Chris720 wrote:

P.S. Why can't this site come with some sort of notification system? I never know if someone tagged me in a post/comment or not and then I randomly find one.

I checked through all that and it's all on, but where do the notifications go? My email?

Well that's annoying for people who don't check their emails very regularly... why can't we have a notification system on the actual website so we can them? Not thrown into your email? How hard can that possibly be?

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Chris720 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Chris720 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Chris720 wrote:

Well that's annoying for people who don't check their emails very regularly... why can't we have a notification system on the actual website so we can them? Not thrown into your email? How hard can that possibly be?

A lot harder than it would be for you to check your emails, or skim the threads you've posted in to see if anyone replied...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Jaz007

@3dcaleb First thin you must do: get Steam. The sales are amazing and it's just a must in-general for anyone who wants to game on PC.
These games may not work the best with a controller, but they're definitally worth it.
Mount & Blade: Warband - A medieval sandbox game. You make you're own story, as there literally is no path set for you to follow. It's unique in that it's not fantasy, a fictional setting, but all mostly feasible in real medieval times. In the game, you gather men that you lead into battle. Great combat mechanics. I've played it for over a 100 hours.

Civilization V - A great stategy game, if you haven't heard of it, you lead you're own civilization from the beginning of time to modern times. A must-have for PC gaming.

Orcs Must Die! series - A mix of tower-defense and action. It's very-well done and I've had a lot of fun with it.

Lastly, find yourself a real-time strategy game. I've always liked the Age of Empires series myself. 2 or 3 are both pretty good games. If you've never played an RTS though, I'd start with the HD version of AoE2 on Steam.

Jaz007

Chris720

3dcaleb wrote:

so i just got a top of the line gaming pc as a gift, and im super exited to play on it, but i have absolutely no idea what im doing. ive been playing consoles and handhelds my entire life, so im a very experienced gamer. but it took me days just to figure out i wanted to play with a controller and not a mouse or keyboard. anybody have any advice for me? or know of a website thats as great as this one, but is pc games instead of nintendo? anybody that knows about pc gaming feel like answering a bunch of my dumb questions? hehehe. like any game recommendations that are pc only. thanks.

I've never found a "nice" PC gaming community... yet. Most of them are full of PC Master Race and consoles are for peasants kind of children. The best sort of community that is centralized around PC gaming would be Steam imo.

You can use an Xbox 360 and Xbox One controller on the PC, thankfully Windows gives you the drivers for them for it to work out of the box. You may need to download the Xbox One driver from their website before the Xbone controller. I would say though, if you're going to be doing any online multiplayer (such as CoD), I would suggest learning the keyboard and mouse controls, dual stick is not going to help you out here.

Most of the games on PC are multi-platform. Steam has plenty of PC only titles such as Survarium, The Forest, DayZ, Age of Empires series and lots more if you can be bothered digging for them.

@CanisWolfred Usually I don't have a huge amount of time to skim through every single thred I've posted in to see if I have replies, same goes with my email, it's probably buried in unread emails by now and I don't want to be sifting through that monster any time soon.

Edited on by Chris720

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

Pkmns

@3dcaleb: I'm assuming you never played most PC classics, so I'll include them in this list of exclusives I recommend :
Deus Ex, The Witcher, System Shock 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, Dear Esther, Tiny & Big In Grandpa's Leftovers, Alone In The Dark (ok, it's DOS, technically not PC), Civilization V, Crysis, the Deponia series, Call of Juarez, the GTA series (not an exclusive, but a completely different experience from consoles if you're into mods), The Banner Saga

Pkmns

6ch6ris6

@3dcaleb HALF LIFE
one of the best games ever made

PS: i am still freaking addicted to skyrim

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

SomeBitTripFan

@3dcaleb: I recommend keeping a constant eye on the Humble Bundle. It's a good way to get a lot of good games for cheap. If a few games in the bundle interest you, or even just one, buy it.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Geonjaha

3dcaleb wrote:

so i just got a top of the line gaming pc as a gift, and im super exited to play on it, but i have absolutely no idea what im doing. ive been playing consoles and handhelds my entire life, so im a very experienced gamer. but it took me days just to figure out i wanted to play with a controller and not a mouse or keyboard. anybody have any advice for me? or know of a website thats as great as this one, but is pc games instead of nintendo? anybody that knows about pc gaming feel like answering a bunch of my dumb questions? hehehe. like any game recommendations that are pc only. thanks.

You'll probably want to set up an account on Steam, as it is the largest client for PC gaming. Let me know what genres of game you like best and I'll give some recommendations, and maybe some free (I have a bunch of steam keys lying around). As @SomeBitTripFan said though - definitely make a Humble account and watch their site. They have some amazing game bundles.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Jaz007

So, I was able to convince my dad to let me get Skyrim with mod that removed non-scripted decapitations. I absolutely love it so far. I can drfinitally say it's one of the best games I've ever played. It's just breathtaking. It feels like your in your own fantasy novel, with the quality of The Lord of the Rings, and the scale of all three books plus The Hobbit put into one. I'm playing a dual-weilding stealth-character. I haven't even gotten mods or DLC yet. Oh man. I've 100s of hours ahead of me.

Jaz007

3dcaleb

thanks everybody. i got steam already. i downloaded a ton of demos to see what i liked. but so far only a couple of them were good. im definitely getting mass effect 1 and 2, plus theyre on sale and they seem like my type of game, plus geometry wars, just cause its cheaper than psn and would look better on my screen than the tv. i dont think i really like mmo's, but im going to try star wars and star trek online for free and see if i can get into it. plus a few of the cheap fps that are on sale.

playing mostly - fantasy life, sword art online: hollow fragment, pokemon x&y, solatorobo, freedom wars, dragon ball z battle of z, futuridium. just got & about to play soon - shin megami tensei IV, one piece romance dawn & unlimited world red, muramasa rebirth, gundam seed battle ...

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4913-8635 | Nintendo Network ID: 3DCALEB

3dcaleb

Geonjaha wrote:

3dcaleb wrote:

You'll probably want to set up an account on Steam, as it is the largest client for PC gaming. Let me know what genres of game you like best and I'll give some recommendations, and maybe some free (I have a bunch of steam keys lying around). As @SomeBitTripFan said though - definitely make a Humble account and watch their site. They have some amazing game bundles.

nice, that would be awesome, i like alot of types of games but my favorites are probably, FPS, retro, horror, sci-fi, racing, and anything that has guns, gore or zombies.

playing mostly - fantasy life, sword art online: hollow fragment, pokemon x&y, solatorobo, freedom wars, dragon ball z battle of z, futuridium. just got & about to play soon - shin megami tensei IV, one piece romance dawn & unlimited world red, muramasa rebirth, gundam seed battle ...

nacho_chicken

3dcaleb wrote:

thanks everybody. i got steam already. i downloaded a ton of demos to see what i liked. but so far only a couple of them were good. im definitely getting mass effect 1 and 2, plus theyre on sale and they seem like my type of game, plus geometry wars, just cause its cheaper than psn and would look better on my screen than the tv. i dont think i really like mmo's, but im going to try star wars and star trek online for free and see if i can get into it. plus a few of the cheap fps that are on sale.

Some recommendations:

• Based on your sig, I'd definitely recommend the Ys series. They're really fast-paced action RPGs with rockin' music. You don't really need to play them in order, and they have quite a few of them on Steam.
  • The Last Remnant is a squad-forming-tactical-turn-based-strategy-I-don't-even-RPG by Square. It's basically a SaGa game without the SaGa name, so it's very love-it/hate-it. It's cheap and is much improved over the 360 version. I liked it a lot, but YMMV.
  • Star Wars Battlefront II is $3 right now, so just go buy it.

Since you're new to Steam... brace your wallet. Summer approaches. Sales... Sales like you wouldn't believe. Hundreds of games... 50% off. 66%. 80%. 90%. There will be no shortage of interesting games. In the words of one famous sword-wielding leader of mercenaries: Prepare yourself.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

flightsaber

It's not "top of the line", but http://www.gog.com/ has awesome classic gaming selections you can't find anywhere else, DRM-free. Right now, Rogue Squadron 3D is on sale, and plays great with a gamepad. I'll also recommend Rayman Legends and Left 4 Dead on steam.

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 both have splitscreen offline and online co-op (online with 2 other non-local players in addition to your 2 local splitscreen players) multiplayer with two gamepads. It does take a bit of setup yourself, but the process is easy and detailed here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113 .

Sonic and Sega all-stars has a Mariokart-style kart racer that's pretty good with a joytick, and I'll throw Sonic Generations a recommendation as well (I loved it with a gamepad).

If you're willing to try some mouse/keyboard games, I'd go play some MMOs or strategy games that you can't have on consoles. SWTOR has 240 hours of voice-acted story (imperial agent is quite possibly Bioware's best writing ever), Try the link in my signature to get some free starting items as well. DDO has a nice dungeon-crawling fantasy feel. Both are free (though some classes and race options will be locked). GW2 is a one-time purchase that could keep you playing for literally months of time in game. WoW has more content than any other game I know, but also a monthly subscription fee.

On the RTS side, I'd try the demos for any of the Age of Empires series. Medieval 2: Total War has a pretty epic campaign map, and in my opinion is the pinnacle of the series. DOTA II is free, and among the most challenging cooperative games ever.

Edited on by flightsaber

Try bioware's best story for free:
http://www.swtor.com/r/mNjGcJ

6ch6ris6

cant wait for my first steam summer sale. already got skyrim for ridiculous 3,75€ or so a few days ago. what a steal

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

3dcaleb

flightsaber wrote:

It's not "top of the line", but http://www.gog.com/ has awesome classic gaming selections you can't find anywhere else, DRM-free. Right now, Rogue Squadron 3D is on sale, and plays great with a gamepad. I'll also recommend Rayman Legends and Left 4 Dead on steam.

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 both have splitscreen offline and online co-op (online with 2 other non-local players in addition to your 2 local splitscreen players) multiplayer with two gamepads. It does take a bit of setup yourself, but the process is easy and detailed here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113 .

Sonic and Sega all-stars has a Mariokart-style kart racer that's pretty good with a joytick, and I'll throw Sonic Generations a recommendation as well (I loved it with a gamepad).

If you're willing to try some mouse/keyboard games, I'd go play some MMOs or strategy games that you can't have on consoles. SWTOR has 240 hours of voice-acted story (imperial agent is quite possibly Bioware's best writing ever), Try the link in my signature to get some free starting items as well. DDO has a nice dungeon-crawling fantasy feel. Both are free (though some classes and race options will be locked). GW2 is a one-time purchase that could keep you playing for literally months of time in game. WoW has more content than any other game I know, but also a monthly subscription fee.

On the RTS side, I'd try the demos for any of the Age of Empires series. Medieval 2: Total War has a pretty epic campaign map, and in my opinion is the pinnacle of the series. DOTA II is free, and among the most challenging cooperative games ever.

cool i will check out gog.com. but in general im not into mmo's, rts and turn based games are boring to me unless i already like the characters. what i like are FPS, not RTS.

SomeBitTripFan

3dcaleb wrote:

nice, that would be awesome, i like alot of types of games but my favorites are probably, FPS, retro, horror, sci-fi, racing, and anything that has guns, gore or zombies.

Based on this, definitely grab the Half-Life series. It fits into the bolded elements pretty solidly, but also incorporates some of those other elements in some way. The first game isn't exactly "retro", but it's an old (1998) PC game. The second game has two lengthy vehicle sections (I find them fun, but many don't think that they hold up) and there is some gore (depends on how you define it, some blood and cutting enemies in two, mostly with Headcrab Zombies). But it sounds like those games are completely suited to you.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

flightsaber

3dcaleb wrote:

flightsaber wrote:

cool i will check out gog.com. but in general im not into mmo's, rts and turn based games are boring to me unless i already like the characters. what i like are FPS, not RTS.

I'd go with left 4 dead from steam, then. It's a zombie co-op FPS, and can be played splitscreen on one PC with two gamepads. A lot of FPS's don't play as well with a gamepad as with a mouse/keyboard on PC....I'd put L4D as an exception. They have the full 360 support in their build. If you wait for the steam summer sale (usually late june early july), you can usually pick this up digitally for $5 on steam.

Splitscreen setup guide:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113 .

For mouse-and keyboard FPS games:
MoH:AA and Battlefield 2142 are my my go-to FPS games. MoH:AA is older, but the shooting mechanics just feel right with a mouse and keyboard. Battlefield 2142 has this awesome Titan multiplayer mode, with nothing else quite like it. These floating air-craft carrier sci-fi ships are shielded, and you play a normal battlefield conquest round to lower their shields. Once the shields are down, you catapault yourself in a star-wars-like escape pod onto the enemy hull and blow up 6 reactors as a team while the others try to defend them long enough for their team to down your shield in the conquest-style battle. When all enemy reactors are down, you can blow up the enemy ship from the inside to win, then race to parachute off the floating carrier before it explodes. The conquest battle continues below, and if neither team can sabotage a ship than that can decide the victory after 10-15 minutes. It's a lot of fun.
Neither of those will work with a gamepad by default, though. Xpadder would be your best bet if you really can't stand the mouse/keyboard - it emulates mouse movement, buttons, and key-presses on your gamepad, but can take some fiddling with sensitivity options to get right.

Maybe Mass Effect 3 or Planetside 2 as well? ME3 has a pretty polished horde-style multiplayer mode, and Planetside 2 is the only FPS MMO to write home about. I believe both have gamepad support.

Try bioware's best story for free:
http://www.swtor.com/r/mNjGcJ

crazycrazydave

I'm looking for a way of getting a handheld PC due to the large variety of small form factor Windows tablets out there. While there is a lot of 7" and 8" tablets out there, I can't seem to find any sort of grip that acts as a controller for playing games. I'm looking for something like this.

http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/7373/rzr_edge_c...

I don't want this hpwever, because the Razer Edge tablet is too expensive, not sold in the UK and it only accommodates the Razer Edge which is quite a bulky 10" tablet. I am looking for a device like the grip but for a smaller form factor tablet. (possibly a universal sort of grip)

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find anything else like this on the internet at all.

We're going on a bear hunt! We're going to catch a big one!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4881-6959
Super Mario Maker levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/crazycrazydave?type=posted

SuperWiiU

crazycrazydave wrote:

I'm looking for a way of getting a handheld PC due to the large variety of small form factor Windows tablets out there. While there is a lot of 7" and 8" tablets out there, I can't seem to find any sort of grip that acts as a controller for playing games. I'm looking for something like this.

http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/7373/rzr_edge_c...

I don't want this hpwever, because the Razer Edge tablet is too expensive, not sold in the UK and it only accommodates the Razer Edge which is quite a bulky 10" tablet. I am looking for a device like the grip but for a smaller form factor tablet. (possibly a universal sort of grip)

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find anything else like this on the internet at all.

I haven't seen anything like that. I just use a PS3 controller (bluetooth) and put the tablet down.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic