Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 2,134

Ninfan

@Lucarianzx you replaced the WHOLE hard drive with an SSD. whats an SSD?

Ninfan

CanisWolfred

Ninfan wrote:

@Lucarianzx you replaced the WHOLE hard drive with an SSD. whats an SSD?

Solid State Drive, essentially just faster memory storage with fewer moving parts compared to Hard Drives.

...don't take much effort to look up that kinda thing in a search engine, mate. Just saying.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Heavyarms55

So I've been thinking about getting a new laptop, but I haven't bought a new machine in about 7 years. So my knowledge is pretty out of date.

I'm thinking 1200-1500 dollar range, what kind of specs should I look for at that price?

And I'm asking here, rather than just Googling because I want real people's opinions, not some paid reviewer who is just gonna spoon feed me whatever his employers want me to believe.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

klingki

Don't have any advice for @Heavyarms55 but I'm also in the same boat. Sometime within the next year or so I am hoping to pick up a gaming laptop in the same price range. I don't need to play everything at the highest settings, I just want a machine that can play pretty much anything available today at at least 720p/30fps. So I am open to advice/suggestions.

I had been looking a bit at something from the Dell G Series as Alienware stuff is a bit expensive.

klingki

Heavyarms55

@klingki I might not know what specs are considered the best for the price in 2020 - but my own personal experience has taught me never to even consider another Dell computer! In my family as a kid up until my time in university, I've dealt with several Dell machines and they were all jam packed full of bloatware and garbage that bogged the machines down. It was a considerable effort just to get rid of all the trash! If I ever got another Dell, I'd wipe the entire hard drive and reinstall the OS and drivers from scratch!

klingki

@Heavyarms55 Interesting! My first laptop when I started college was a Dell, and that thing was a champ! It lasted for about 7-8 years, and even then it still worked, it was just really slow. The last time I was back in America a few years ago, I pulled it out of my dad's basement to get some old pictures off of it and it was still chugging along just fine!

My next laptop after that one though was an HP and I hated that thing. Started having big problems with it just shy of 2 years in. Got my MacBook Pro after that, and while I love it and it still works great after like 7 years, I can't do much with it gaming-wise.

klingki

BruceCM

Can you wait for the sales .... ? Are you going somewhere for a custom design? What exactly do you want it for, etc, etc?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

klingki

As for me, I can totally (and probably will) wait for sales. Again, just looking for a low-mid tier gaming laptop that has the capability to play anything I throw at it at at least 720p/30fps. If there is a good enough deal on something a bit higher end, I could be persuaded to splurge.

klingki

Heavyarms55

@BruceCM I just want a rough estimate on what I should look for in a laptop in the 1200-1500 dollar range that can play most games at least reasonably. Like, I don't need top tier 4K or anything, but I would like to be able to comfortably run games. And I feel like that should be easy to do in the price range.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

BruceCM

Um, well, if I goto Acer's site, for instance & just ask it for 'gaming laptops', they start at $1100 .... So, unless you're getting it in good sales, you're limited to a only a couple of choices there? @Heavyarms55 No point recommending stuff that'd make it cost a lot more! Perhaps if you suggest brands you do like or something?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Lucarianzx

@ninfan also I didn't replace it I just added an ssd where I installed all of my day to day applications.

I don't like Monster Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySCtUppltv_WhFobC0Rq8w? (My safe place)
I'm probably listening to green day right now.

Ninfan

Lucarianzx wrote:

@ninfan also I didn't replace it I just added an ssd where I installed all of my day to day applications.

so it is just better storage

Ninfan

SomeBitTripFan

@Heavyarms55 I can only speak from my experience. At $1000, 3 years ago I got:

CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ
GPU: Nvidia 1050 Ti
RAM: 16GB (can't remember the type, but 16 GB should be your minimum target imo)
Storage: 128 SSD + 1 TB HD
Screen: 1080p 60 FPS, IPS

You should definitely get something better than that. With the next series of GPUs from AMD and Nvidia being rumored to release in the next few months (although the low-end cards of the series will take much longer to come out), you might be able to get a discount on laptops with the current series. If you're only looking to use if for games, some quad-core i5 should suit your needs and you might be able to get a better GPU out of that. I can't speak with confidence.

@klingki Low-end GPUs will probably still exceed your expectations. Don't know what ramifications next console generation will have on minimum specifications on PC. I wouldn't trust integrated graphics. If you don't have a time-frame in mind, I'd say wait for next console generation to start to get a more solid idea. I have no experience buying used, but older GPUs might hit that performance level at used prices, although your battery life will likely be garbage unless you can replace it.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Lucarianzx

@ninfan Well kind of I guess. They are more expensive but if you get a 150gb SSD for $25 you can put windows, chrome, discord, other daily applications (maybe even smaller games) and then use the hard drive to store the big games and files/videos. An ssd doesn't have a disk inside of it like the harddrive does and it's faster. Definitely worth the investment I can't say how quick my PC boots up now because of it. RAM isn't that important unless you do multitasking.

ALazyUsername128

@Heavyarms55

What GPU the system is equipped with will have the largest effect on its capacity to run games unless somehow it is also equipped with a very low end processor. If you are considering a laptop, can look at one of these sites to see the specs and potential performance of its GPU.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-C...

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/

Is it a requirement that it be a laptop?
Building a desktop will give more flexibility and likely a lower cost for similar performance.

ALazyUsername128

Heavyarms55

@ALazyUsername128 It doesn't need to be a laptop, but I'll likely be moving soon and a desktop is a lot more to ship. I suppose I probably should just wait until after I move but...

BruceCM

Well, you can get about twice as much PC for the same money, @Heavyarms55 .... Along with, for example, black Friday deals, etc, so if you can wait for a bit ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ninfan

@Lucarianzx was the SSD difficult to install, did you install it yourself. good price $25.

Ninfan

Lucarianzx

@ninfan I installed it myself and it wasn't that hard to install, it was just a hassle to get the side panel off of the PC and then put the SSD in it. The only thing that's a little annoying is you need to make sure that you have a SATA cable that connects the SSD to the motherboard. It's definitely worth it.

Xyphon22

I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I'm trying to go through the King's Quest series because I love it. I finally for the first time ever beat KQ7 and am trying to play 8. I still have my old CD so put it in, it installed and everything, but it crashes on start up every time. I looked it up and found that Windows 10 usually prevents you from running these old CD rom games. There are hacks you can do, but that's not my thing. I then found to my delight that gog.com has it (I got 1-7 on Steam, but they don't have 8). It was on sale for $5, so I thought it wasn't much of a waste even if I could have gotten it to work for free. I downloaded and installed it, and it lasts for 5-10 seconds before crashing every time, often before I can even get off of the title screen. I would have thought that Gog would have done whatever needed to be done to make it work properly, but it still doesn't. Is there something I can do with my computer settings or whatever to make it run? Thanks.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic