Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 2,134

6ch6ris6

Dezzy wrote:

@Ninfan

Depends on the game. Probably an absolute minimum of 4GB for anything graphically advanced.

4GB are not enough today. 8GB is minimum. even better 16GB, but only if there is cash left

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Ninfan

@Dezzy can I add some GB to my hard drive. And where would I get it.

Ninfan

BruceCM

What are you on about, @Ninfan .... ? It's not your hard-drive! If you don't know enough about it, you shouldn't do it yourself

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ninfan

@BruceCM I don't mean that I'll do it myself. I ment where will I get somewhere to add it to my hard drive.

Ninfan

Dezzy

@Ninfan

Hard drive isn't RAM. That's a different thing entirely. The RAM attaches to the computer's Motherboard. If you want to install more, you need to look up the details for your motherboard to see what types of RAM it's compatible with. Then you need to check that there's a spare socket so you can add more.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Anti-Matter

Ninfan wrote:

@Dezzy can I add some GB to my hard drive. And where would I get it.

What is this question ? 🤣

Anti-Matter

Lucarianzx

I just replace my hard drive with an SSD the difference is crazy. Please get an SSD if you don't have one I don't know how I survived the past two years without one.

I don't like Monster Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySCtUppltv_WhFobC0Rq8w? (My safe place)
I'm probably listening to green day right now.

6ch6ris6

i got a boot ssd but i use a hdd for my games

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Lucarianzx

Well yeah same, no way my SSD's fitting Witcher 3 in it

I don't like Monster Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySCtUppltv_WhFobC0Rq8w? (My safe place)
I'm probably listening to green day right now.

6ch6ris6

i do plan to go full ssd on my next pc but thats 2-3 years in the future. my current pc is only 2 years old

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

JaxonH

Lucarianzx wrote:

I just replace my hard drive with an SSD the difference is crazy. Please get an SSD if you don't have one I don't know how I survived the past two years without one.

I’ll second this.

I originally just had a 128gb NVMe boot drive on my old PC, but the difference was so much that when I bought my new PC, I made sure I got a 2TB NVMe boot drive, and two 4TB SSDs for game storage. 100% solid state. Out with the old, in with the new. And while it was expensive I just refuse to play games any other way, at least, for traditional console gaming anyways. Obviously hybrid gaming isn’t quite there yet.

Near instant fast travel in Witcher 3. You die? No problem. You’re right back in. It really helps you stay engaged because those long load times can detach you from the experience.

And file transfers? Goodness. I can copy a file that several gigabytes and it’s almost instantaneous. Traditional HDDs do, on average, I’d say about 120mbps. While SSDs do more like 600mbps. But NVMe gets up to 3500mbps which is just... nuts. I mean, even 600mbps SSDs are so much faster you’re basically set. Yes, NVMe is even better but, most motherboards only support one, or if they do support more, they start disabling two SATA ports for each additional NVMe inserted.

All SSDs have MUCH higher speed capabilities, but are capped by the SATA interface speed limit, which is why NVMe is so much faster- it uses PCIe 4.0 in place of SATA which sees full potential realized. But even just a bog standard SATA SSD, is going to make a world of difference. For games. For your boot drive, NVMe is definitely the way to go.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ninfan

where is the cheapest place to buy a gaming laptop.

Ninfan

BruceCM

Gears Tactics is amazing....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Sunsy

@Ninfan If you're looking to save money on a gaming laptop, check manufacturers whenever they have a sale. I've seen some gaming laptops go as low as $700-800 on sale, sometimes down from $1000. I remember last year for memorial day, HP had really good deals on Omen laptops. Plus buying online you can customize what you want (of course this may increase the price depending on what you customize).

I did this last year when I bought my gaming laptop, and I'm overall satisfied with it. More than any store bought computer I've ever used.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Dezzy

@Ninfan

Probably yes. Although it's easier to buy something like that online nowadays.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

BinaryMessiah

JaxonH wrote:

Lucarianzx wrote:

I’ll second this.

I originally just had a 128gb NVMe boot drive on my old PC, but the difference was so much that when I bought my new PC, I made sure I got a 2TB NVMe boot drive, and two 4TB SSDs for game storage. 100% solid state. Out with the old, in with the new. And while it was expensive I just refuse to play games any other way, at least, for traditional console gaming anyways. Obviously hybrid gaming isn’t quite there yet.

Near instant fast travel in Witcher 3. You die? No problem. You’re right back in. It really helps you stay engaged because those long load times can detach you from the experience.

And file transfers? Goodness. I can copy a file that several gigabytes and it’s almost instantaneous. Traditional HDDs do, on average, I’d say about 120mbps. While SSDs do more like 600mbps. But NVMe gets up to 3500mbps which is just... nuts. I mean, even 600mbps SSDs are so much faster you’re basically set. Yes, NVMe is even better but, most motherboards only support one, or if they do support more, they start disabling two SATA ports for each additional NVMe inserted.

All SSDs have MUCH higher speed capabilities, but are capped by the SATA interface speed limit, which is why NVMe is so much faster- it uses PCIe 4.0 in place of SATA which sees full potential realized. But even just a bog standard SATA SSD, is going to make a world of difference. For games. For your boot drive, NVMe is definitely the way to go.

I switched out to all M.2 SSDs about a year ago. I used to have two 2.5" SSD (500GB each) which ran games just fine, but I would only put games with heavy streaming/loading on them. I used to have a 2TB platter drive, but it failed. I went all out and got M.2 drives and a single NVMe drive (1TB) and I can NEVER go back to physical drives. I have 5TB of SSD space now and it's amazing. I have three M.2 drives and two 2.5" SSDs.

Plus just the amount of space an M.2 drive saves. Three less cables!

Edited on by BinaryMessiah

BinaryMessiah

Nintendo Network ID: ivory_soul | Twitter:

6ch6ris6

@Grumblevolcano isnt the MCC still broken?
i was so hyped for it and then they just ported it so bad

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

edhe

I bought some Cities Skylines DLC the other day, but I've run in to a problem. I hadn't played the game in a while, but I understand, even without the DLC installed, the game has become bloated to the point where my 8GB of RAM is just about enough to run the game in vanilla. I'd very much like to play the DLC, so I reckon it's about time I upgraded my RAM, but I've got a few concerns.

First of all, my motherboard appears to accomodate 4 sticks of RAM. It's too much hassle to open it up right now (not to mention disconnect everything), but I believe I've got two sticks of 4GB occupying two of the slots.

In the manual, it says I can install 512MB, 1GB, 2GB and 4GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR3 DIMMS into the respective sockets. I presume that means I'd be able to plug 2 pairs of 4GB RAM sticks in for a total of 16GB RAM (when I read a forum topic about the game it recommended 16GB of RAM, and I initially forgot memory came in pairs, and that my motherboard had 4 slots).

Would 2 sets of these be suitable, as an example?

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic