Forums

Topic: General JRPG Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 397

Vortexeo

@Wargoose Ys is such a wonderful series! How are you liking IX so far compared to VIII? I haven't played it yet but I'm really excited to do so once I get the chance!

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

VoidofLight

I’m almost entirely done with Bravely Default II. Never played the others, so I can’t compare the story quality, but I enjoyed it so far.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Wargoose

@Vortexeo They feel very different. Ys VIII felt more grounded, I think it's because of the shipwreck being at the centre of the story. IX is a bit more out there in the story department.

The best part of IX so far is the movement options. It feels like the JRPG equivalent of something like prototype or the batman Arkham games. Going from VIII where it's small areas with lots of loading screens, to IX where it's sprawling areas where you can run up walls and buildings feels very different.

Wargoose

Dezzy

TheJGG wrote:

at least we have the Dragon Quest 8 overworld theme for our listening pleasure. As soon

Now there's a game that desperately needs a Switch remaster.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

kkslider5552000

Speaking of which, I realized recently DQ8 isn't downloadable on PS3. Is that version of the game available anywhere? Like with the orchestrated soundtrack?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jedgamesguy

Dezzy wrote:

TheJGG wrote:

at least we have the Dragon Quest 8 overworld theme for our listening pleasure. As soon

Now there's a game that desperately needs a Switch remaster.

Well we got a 3DS port of a game then a Switch port before (Xenoblade 3D), so it's perfectly possible.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Speaking of which, I realized recently DQ8 isn't downloadable on PS3. Is that version of the game available anywhere? Like with the orchestrated soundtrack?

Nope. That's why it needs a remaster or remake.

There is no "definitive edition" of the game in existence at this point in time. The PS2 version has better graphics and music, whereas the 3DS version has more content and various QOL improvements, but no version combines both sets of advantages, and the PS2 version is only available in its original format, which doesn't run on any modern console.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Anti-Matter

Can i discuss about Yokai Watch games here since they are RPG games like Pokemon ?

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@Snaplocket
I want to ask about catch rate on Yokai Watch 3DS.
It seems catch rate on YW1 was very random, almost impossible to befriend wild Yokai even i have throw them with their favorite foods. How about catch rate in YW2 and YW3 ?

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

@Anti-Matter 2 and 3 are also random, but 3 has a way to cheese it with an item called forbidden fruit.

Anti-Matter

@VoidofLight
Ah... I see.
I have succesfully got Cassanuva and Shmoopie just now for Yokai Watch 1 3DS.
I got 25 forbidden fruits on Yokai Watch 3 Tempura from scanning 25 QR codes of Forbidden Fruits.
I have used 1 to catch any good looking rank E Yokai and i have to keep the remaining 24 Forbidden Fruits to catch worthy Yokais.

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx

I fully agree that Dragon Quest VIII would benefit from a remake. I played the 3DS version a little over a year ago and absolutely loved it! Never have played the PS2 original. Graphics aren't a huge deal for me, but I did feel like I was missing out on the better soundtrack. It was certainly worth it and is, out of the three DQs I've played, my favorite in all but the story department (that honor goes to V).

On Yo-Kai Watch: I know favorite foods and certain Yo-Kai can raise the odds of recruitment significantly, but it did seem completely random at times; sometimes I'd recruit a Yo-Kai without trying, other times I'd have to spend a significant amount of time trying to get one to join. I've only played the first and one of the second installments however, so for all I know the odds have improved as the series evolved.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

BruceCM

Yeah, just saw that .... It's looking amazing! I'm sure it'll go up to pre-purchase on Steam soon, since they seem to have pre-orders for consoles already

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

BruceCM

Yeah, I certainly notice, @Slowdive.... Since I end up getting them again on Switch if I had them on Vita!

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

Demon Gaze is one I missed on Vita, @Slowdive.... But I'll be getting Switch version

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

I looked it up when it was announced for Switch, as I thought I very vaguely remembered it, @Slowdive .... I'm sure I can look forward to more Vita stuff coming there!

SW-4357-9287-0699

jedgamesguy

I feel like there’s a stigma that a game isn’t a JRPG if it has photorealistic graphics. That’s BS.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

VoidofLight

At this point, no one knows what constitutes as a JRPG anymore. Some people only count turn-based rpgs developed in Japan as JRPG's, while others count any RPG developed in Japan.

jump

VoidofLight wrote:

At this point, no one knows what constitutes as a JRPG anymore. Some people only count turn-based rpgs developed in Japan as JRPG's, while others count any RPG developed in Japan.

I consider the South Park games JRPGs yet they aren't made in Japan, they play and have clear influences by them and are arguably more JRPG than recent high profile RPGs from Japan. There's also the famous example of Secret of Evermore which was made by Americans for Square but people think of it as a classic JRPG.

The J in JRPG is like French Toast, Brie Cheese or Maderiea Cake where it's just a name based on it's origin of conception and not a hard description.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic