Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 70,261 to 70,280 of 70,402

OctolingKing13

i didnt check NL for a little bit, and now ive come to uhm a possible first party horror game called emio??? on a random wednesday after the direct? you alright, nintendo? you okay cause you seem slightly unwell !! did miyamoto get sick? im genuinely concerned here

afk for a lot of fall, very busy month! still spying on yall :3

Magician

Without having seen gameplay footage, I assume Emio will be Nintendo's spin on the Little Nightmares series.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,317 games (as of October 22nd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Pastellioli

Seeing them drop a random ominous teaser for a potential new game is surprising to me. Horror isn't my thing and I prefer more colorful and cheery stuff, but seeing Nintendo potentially delve into a new genre and territory is interesting to see! Everyone has been mentioning that the Emio game could potentially be a first-party M-rated title, which would be super shocking, given Nintendo has published M-rated games before (e.g. Bayonetta 2 and 3) or has allowed closely affiliated companies to release M-rated games on their consoles and have been lenient towards it despite some small controversies (e.g. Rare with Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64) but Nintendo themselves have not made any games with the M-rating and have strayed far away from it. If Emio is not some small video they randomly dropped out of nowhere and is an actual game with an M-rating on its box, I wouldn't be surprised if some people caused a fuss about it, given that the first-party games they make only get Everyone to Teen ratings.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

A random gamer that loves retro games, squirrels, and sleeping.

Currently playing: Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage! (Mobile) and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls (3DS)

Switch Friend Code: SW-1834-9478-0593

Magician

More than a few Nintendo published, third-party developed, M-rated games. True.

Probably no different for Emio. Some contracted worked from outside of the Big N.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Pastellioli

@Magician That could be it. I am curious to see what the Emio thing is about a little later on, hopefully sometime later this year! Maybe around Halloween or something since it seems horror-themed? I wonder who is working on that potential Emio game if it is instead being worked on by a second party or third party and not by Nintendo themselves. Short videos with little info like that just always make me curious and start wondering more and more.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

A random gamer that loves retro games, squirrels, and sleeping.

Currently playing: Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage! (Mobile) and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls (3DS)

Switch Friend Code: SW-1834-9478-0593

Haruki_NLI

It's not Nintendo's first foray into horror, with Geist and Eternal Darkness under their belts way back when, but it's certainly been a long time.

But it's definitely a game, it got rated M. Just now a matter of what the hell it is

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

link3710

@Haruki_NLI As someone who adore's Geist for what it is, I have to ask. What about that game has people mentioning it as an example of Nintendo doing horror? I don't recall anything scary really happening outside of maybe some of the demon-thing designs later on.

link3710

Haruki_NLI

@link3710 Well, thats more of an example for an M rated title than anything. Granted, the game is so damn obscure that the name Geist kinda implies....ya know....ghosts.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FishyS

link3710 wrote:

I'm all on-board for new IP from Nintendo, we haven't seen many (any?) since COVID hit.

It's arguable how to count franchises, but Peach: Showtime and Game Builder Garage sort of were although they also sort of weren't.

Fizza wrote:

genre Nintendo VERY rarely tackles at all (only examples that come to mind for me are Eternal Darkness and Fatal Frame) .

You are forgetting Pokemon Arceus 😝 Being suddenly chased by an enormous monster with dramatic music and then getting murdered is legitimately scary in that game.

[Edited by FishyS]

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

link3710

@FishyS Fair on both counts. Legends Arceus was generally one of the scariest video game experiences I've had. At least in a way that didn't rely on cheap jumpscares. (Not to say I was never jumpscared but it was always my own fault at least)

link3710

Qwertyninty

I can’t get excited for this teaser at all. I only hope it’s switch 2 related. Until more details drop it’s a nothing burger for me.

Qwertyninty

Magician

Double Dragon Revive

No Switch version? Emotional damage...

[Edited by Magician]

dmcc0

@Magician I'm hoping they're just holding out for Switch Successor

dmcc0

Magician

Emio is an adventure game, eh? Mildly disappointing, but not unwelcomed.

Qwertyninty

@Magician Nintendo fans do it to themselves time and time again. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Qwertyninty

Overzeal

Emio not being a crummy FNaF ripoff is the best possible news.

Overzeal

FishyS

I was just watching the NL video about games not on Switch and it got me thinking about Wii U ports. It seems crazy to me they don't port basically everything from Wii U. More than 10 times as many Switches have been sold than Wii Us and presumably some prior Wii U owners don't own a Switch. So even though it seems large on this website, the number of Switch owners who would have already played a particular Wii U game is a miniscule fraction. So a port would basically be a new game. I have no idea why they don't just spam us with all the Wii U Kirby, Yoshi, Zelda, etc.

Maybe Nintendo is just sitting on them to dribble out when they have a schedule gap? I suppose it's not like their release schedule isn't usually fairly packed.

[Edited by FishyS]

FishyS

PikminMarioKirby

@FishyS Some of the games we're missing sort of make sense. Mario Maker 1, Splatoon 1, and Super Smash Bros Wii U all don't really need to come back since the Switch already has sequels to those games, which in these cases means the original doesn't really need to come back. Xenoblade X might struggle to sell as well as they'd like it to, so not sure if they'd think this would be worth it. Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and Paper Mario Color Splash are considered underwhelming compared to other games in those series so they might not want to bring those back without major changes. Sadly, Nintendo Land and Wii Party U rely too much on Gamepad so it's very doubtful we'll see these games return.

Games like Yoshi's Woolly World and Kirby Rainbow Curse seem like top picks for Nintendo to bring back, and I'm surprised they haven't come to Switch yet.

A NintendoLife user that could talk about Kirby, Pikmin, or Mario RPGs for hours without getting bored!

FishyS

@PikminMarioKirby You make a decent point about some of the games simply being less popular.

It occured to me to look at Wii U games ranked by metacritic score and the vast majority of the highest rated first and third party games have been ported. As you go lower in the list ports get much less common... which I suppose makes sense.

Of the top 75 rated Wii U games, all are also on a non-Wii U Nintendo console except:

Nintendo:

• xenoblade chronicles x
  • Art Academy: Atelier
  • Splatoon 1
  • pushmo world

other publishers:

• Need for Speed most wanted U
  • mass effect 3
  • Tekken tag tournament 2
  • Stealth Inc 2
  • year walk
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • fast racing NEO
  • affordable space adventures
  • scram kitty
  • extreme exorcism
  • Deus Ex
  • nba 2k13

So 16 of the top 75 are trapped on Wii U (at least restricting to Nintendo consoles). Plus some more I didn't list were on both Wii U and 3DS but since 76 million 3DS were sold, a lot of current Switch owners already had a chance to play those games so they're not quite in the same situation.

[Edited by FishyS]

FishyS

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic