Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,621 to 64,640 of 65,488

Snatcher

@Kermit1 Really? Is there a documentary or something? I need to know a,

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it) Remind me to ask jump about those ninja skills of his.

Ralizah

Splatoon and Monster Hunter both feel like multiplayer-centric experiences designed for hermits like myself who don't usually enjoy social gaming experiences.

They're also the only two major exceptions to my strict single-player only policy with games.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

JoeDiddley

I’ve still been too hesitant to dip my toe into Smash online. I barely use the online features tbh although recently it really improved the experience on Shredders Revenge. Playing cooperatively helped get me through the last few stages.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Grumblevolcano

So there it is, the Kirby 30th anniversary concert confirmed an August 17th release date for Kirby's Dream Buffet. Pretty much in the middle of XC3 and Splatoon 3.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Pizzamorg

Still couldn't find any specific reviews of the port, but I ended up biting the bullet and getting Cult of the Lamb on Switch anyway, as it seems best suited for this platform.

First impressions are that performance ain't the best - it can feel really choppy at times, and seems to stutter a bit when you load in anywhere. I wouldn't say it is game breaking, but the combat can get really hectic and at it's most hectic, the game seems to hold mostly stably, like it doesn't ever chug but maybe it's because I am fresh off of playing games on PC, it doesn't feel like even a 30. More like a stableish 20. It certainly does have a gameplay loop I would rather be doing in bed for an hour, rather than chained to my desk though and it looks great on the SWOLED screen.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Cult of the Lamb. Animal Crossing New Horizons.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak.

JaxonH

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 hits SO snuffin hard.

Get to chapter 5, and if this isn't one of your favorite RPGs ever, Idk what to tell ya. The story twists are insane and the combat opens up like crazy once you have 3 arts on the right, 3 arts on the left, can cancel Fusion arts and regular arts, and have unlocked art canceling for your Ouroboros...

Best combat of any Xenoblade game, easily.

PLAYING
NS: Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, MH Rise Sunbreak, Radiant Silvergun and dozens of other STGs
PC/SD:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Kermit1

JaxonH wrote:

3 arts on the right, 3 arts on the left

"stuck in the middle with you"

Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

known to be quirky on occasion

Grumblevolcano

Another big multiplatform game delayed to 2023, it's starting to get to the point that I'm starting to feel optimistic that Nintendo will have decent presence at the Game Awards on the awards side. Announcements side I doubt it, the most we'll get is a few "Nintendo Switch has Games" ads and Capcom showing a few Switch focused things like a teaser for an upcoming Sunbreak update.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kermit1

@Grumblevolcano what game got delayed?

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

Kermit1

Just a reminder on how to downlead DLC

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

IceClimbers

Not really sure what categories Nintendo would be in besides Best Family Game and then Best RPG/Strategy Game with Xenoblade 3. I think GOTY will be Elden Ring/Horizon/Tunic/Stray/God of War (this one might be ineligible because of release timing), with Elden Ring obviously taking it.

Edit: They could have a big presence in a Best Multiplayer Game category with Splatoon 3 and Switch Sports... and maybe Mario Strikers.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

@Kermit1 Hogwarts Legacy, I have no interest in the game at all but I figured it probably would've gotten nominated for quite a few awards had it released this year.

@IceClimbers I was thinking stuff like this for Game Awards nominations:

• GotY - Bayonetta 3 (Bayonetta 2 was nominated back in 2014)
  • Best Score and Music - maybe XC3
  • Best Action Game - Bayonetta 3, maybe Three Hopes
  • Best Action/Adventure Game - Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Best RPG - Pokemon Legends Arceus, XC3
  • Best Family Game - Pokemon Legends Arceus, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Splatoon 3, Mario Strikers, Switch Sports
  • Best Sports/Racing Game - Mario Strikers, Switch Sports
  • Best Sim/Strategy Game - Sparks of Hope (it's 3rd party but it has Mario)
  • Best Multiplayer Game - Switch Sports, Splatoon 3
  • Most Anticipated Game - BotW 2
  • Players' Voice - maybe XC3 (Three Houses won in 2019 so I think XC3 could win this time)

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

When it comes to mass market corporate Game Awards, expect only token Nintendo nominations. Xenoblade has historically been snubbed- not one game in the series has been nominated for anything. Not even soundtrack. XC3 may finally break that trend, but expect only one category and it likely won't win.

Bayonetta 3 may get a nomination, but it may not. It's easier for journalists to appear "counter culture" by nominating a Wii U game. But when it's on the massively popular Switch, their insecurity may lead them to ignore it.

Monster Hunter Rise was barely nominated for anything despite World cleaning house. Again, games on Nintendo just fight an uphill struggle with mainstream acknowledgement. Sunbreak probably won't even be nominated for best DLC/expansion (assuming that's a category).

I quit paying attention to those awards. If you know the game is rigged, why continue to engage with it? I can only take so much Death Stranding, Deathloop, Last of Us 2, and okay/decent-ish games like Ratchet and Clank sweeping half a dozen nominations like it's the next Mario Odyssey, meanwhile Monster Hunter Rise gets shunned despite World cleaning house, not one single Xenoblade game ever being nominated for anything, soundtrack included. Even the almighty DKC Tropical Freeze wasn't nominated for soundtrack.

There just comes a point where you realize, this show isn't for us. It's not here to acknowledge the best games, it's here to acknowledge the best AAA games, especially if they're PlayStation exclusives. The majority of journalists voting are not Switch gamers. Even if a great Switch title receives good scores, it's because the outlet passed it to their token "Switch reviewer". But when it comes time to vote, there's 9 other ppl there who haven't played a game on Switch since Zelda BotW. It's how games like Persona 5 end up GotY nominees but games like Fire Emblem Three Houses settle for fan votes. Because there's a massive disconnect between the gamership at large and the ones voting. They represent a large portion of gamers with similar interests, but Nintendo does not have equal representation at the table.

At best you can expect some token nominations. Usually they'll manage at least one Switch-related game in the GotY category. But unless it's Zelda, it's never going to actually win, because value is largely determined by production values and mainstream appeal, and Nintendo games, being on a hybrid system, can't compete graphically (even though many do punch well above their weight).

This is why I've advocated for separating the awards into 5 categories- Switch exclusive GotY, PS exclusive Goty, Xbox exclusive GotY, PC exclusive GotY, and Multiplatform GotY.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, MH Rise Sunbreak, Radiant Silvergun and dozens of other STGs
PC/SD:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Kermit1

I think I like Mario Galaxy more than Odyssey. Even though I've only ever beaten Odyssey.

That took 2 years of hard thinking and I finally made up my mind.

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic