Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 63,681 to 63,700 of 69,963

Okami1

@Ninfan Next week if rumours are true. Tomorrow a Pokemon trailer is happening, so no direct this week.

dysgraphia awareness human

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Unfortunately no. I just wrote off Ys IX. I'll stick with Ys VIII on Switch. I can tolerate less than perfect performance, but everyone has a line. And for me, Ys IX crossed that line. Drops were too severe and too frequent, to the point they genuinely frustrated me to where I quit playing.

But Falcom's other top series, Trails of Cold Steel, runs beautifully on Switch. And frankly I think they're better games than Ys, too (not to knock Ys- I love Lacrimosa of Dana, but Trails is fire).

@Ryu_Niiyama
I'll have to Google that one.

Ended up grabbing the Shmup Collection also, and Steredenn and Sky Force Anniverary and Sky Force Reloaded.

I think that should about cover it. Suddenly feel a reinvigorated interest in Sol Cresta. It's like the Wonderful 101 of shmups. Drawing formations slows time, and you have to react quickly and strategize using different formations for various enemies... soon as I realized that it hit me- I'm gonna love this game.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH well that stinks. I like Ys VIII enough to take a flier on IX but whatevs. I got alot to play anyway.

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

Haven't played any of the Cold Steel games, but Ys is WAY better than Trails in the Sky, IMO. I'm really struggling to understand what people love about these games. Maybe later ones are better.

But yeah, even Ys VIII's performance was a little rough for my liking, so I'll be passing on Ys IX on Switch. The older games would run amazingly, but XSEED is squatting on the Western distribution rights for those, and doesn't appear interested in porting them to new consoles.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH the Toaplan shooters are also good (same same same (which is shark in japanese) for instance is a goodie.) but personally I am a cave and treasure nut and then I work my way down. There was one where you are controlling two ships at one time but I can’t remember the name of it and have not tried it because it seemed like too much for my one eye to handle. I’ll look it up later.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

StarPoint

A Scarlet and Violet Nintendo Switch OLED has been revealed:

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Ryu_Niiyama

As always, I want those joycons.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NintendoByNature

On the topic of joycons, I noticed last night during my xc3 game session, that my left JC is drifting again. This will be the 2nd time this exact one is drifting, and the 3rd time overall between (2) left JCs. 😑

NintendoByNature

gcunit

@NintendoByNature Do you ever do anything with them? I had 3 joy-cons drifting recently across our 3 active Switch units in the house. Just gave each of them a squirt of electrical contact cleaner... immediately fine.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

gcunit

The Splatoon OLED benefits from the gradient colouring on the front of the joy-cons, but otherwise I find it a bit underwhelming. The graphics on the back of the tablet are just fairly abstract, and the yellow ink splat on the dock is just a bit underbaked for me, whereas the Pokémon OLED has character art on the rear of the tablet and on the dock, so is the overall winner for me.

Ultimately I'd like them both in the collection, but neither of them are omg-must-have. I'm planning to hold off and see what's going on with the BotW2 release.

And depending on other hardware movements, a Metroid edition Switch seems a realistic expectation some day.

NintendoByNature

@gcunit I haven't done that and usually just take N up on their free repairs. I can try the electrical contact cleaner though for a cheap fix. I'll report back, thanks!

NintendoByNature

gcunit

@NeonPizza How are you seeing those French stand alone copies? I don't see them. How much?

Edited on by gcunit

gcunit

@NeonPizza Thanks. That's crazy, a European copy, shipping to NA, is cheaper than I can find any copy in UK. That seller doesn't ship to UK for some reason, so isn't an option for me, but it's good to know.

Edited on by gcunit

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I haven't played the Sky Trilogy, but the Cold Steel games have an amazing combat system (different moves have various AOE effects, like, one is a straight line with certain width which, if you strategically position yourself, you can damage multiple enemies... others might be a circle of damage or what have you- positioning plays a critical role in combat). And the characters, dialog and world building is top notch. Like, as good as Fire Emblem Three Houses or Xenoblade 3, if not better (though that likely comes down to multiple games in the series building off what came before). It's also much more modernized visually than the older entries, which helps. Cold Steel games also have countless areas to explore, and Persona like social elements you can optionally seek out. The whole approach just works.

Try Cold Steel 3. That's the one that got me into the series. Loved it so much I went back and started playing Cold Steel 1 on Steam, and you know me- I rarely play games not on Switch unless I really want to play something.

@Ryu_Niiyama
I think you're referring to Dimension Drive. Grabbed that in a sale today for $1.99 (84% off). Even used my JP account to buy ESP de.ra Psi off the Japanese eShop so I could have it digitally on my Switch. Game is fire

Just tried Steredenn, and that game is also fire. How did it take me 10 years to discover this love of shmups?!!! I always loved Star Fox 64 3D, and Sin & Punishment 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. But the standard scrolling shooters just never appealed to me. I beat Ikaruga (thanks to unlimited continues, otherwise I'd never have managed), but that one aside they just seemed boring to me.

Now... it's like some switch in my brain got flipped. I understand the appeal. I get it. Feel like a kid in a candy store grabbing as much as I can carry. And now Im visiting shmup forums and desperately searching for news of future games to come. I hear Radiant Silvergun remaster may get announced at Tokyo Game Show! And I see Akai Katana Shin (a more recent Cave shmup from 2010) is releasing on Switch in December...

I love these freaking games!!!

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

LOL, no wonder Soul Hackers 2 isn't on Switch. The game is a technical mess. Despite the very limited scope of environments and lack of any significant graphical polish, it's struggling to run on last gen home consoles, and even turns in mediocre performance on the modern ones.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Oh my goodness.

15 - 35 fps on Xbox One, 20 - 40 fps on Xbox One X and PS4, and 25 - 30 fps on PS4 Pro... ?

Switch never stood a chance. If even PS4 Pro and Xbox Series X are dropping frames to 20 fps, and at a meager 1080p at that, ya... this is a disaster of a release.

Ralizah

@JaxonH It could probably run fine with a more optimised port down the road, which is what I'm expecting will happen with the way it has sold on other platforms to date. None of the rendering techniques or environments in this game should keep it from running well on Switch, and especially not on last gen home consoles.

And boy, they just didn't care about the Xbox performance at all. That Xbone S footage is hideous. If nothing else, target a lower resolution to make it more playable on that platform. 900 or even 720p would be better if it meant smoother performance.

Crazy to think a wildly more ambitious game like SMT V runs better on Switch than this PS3-looking game runs on Xbox One.

Ryu_Niiyama

Welp here’s hoping for a definite edition that hits the switch. Otherwise I am waiting until it hits the bargain bin.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic