Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,861 to 59,880 of 70,086

rallydefault

Alright, they got me... I think I'm gonna get the OLED. My launch Switch is giving me the "no cartridge inserted" error almost every other day now. It's super frustrating. My Joycon are also beat to you-know-what; a new pair would cost me close to a hundred anyway, might as well just go for it and get a fresh console. I know I'll appreciate the screen and all that once I have it.

rallydefault

BruceCM

Anyone for Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars .....? Fortunately, for me, it's coming to Steam as well as Switch!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

@BruceCM
I'm waiting for Youtubers Life 2 physical release due to 8 February 2022.

Anti-Matter

RR529

@BruceCM, I'll definitely be grabbing it on Steam at some point in the future.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Pizzamorg

With the release of NLs top Switch games, my Switch game of the year is Monster Hunter Rise (only because I played Stories 2 on PC).

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Magician

@Emperor

That video was already posted on the previous page. And do you not have an opinion on the video itself? Just...post and bounce? Personally, my opinion of OLED still stands. The minor upgrades of the screen, the on-board memory, and ethernet port don't justify the asking price. Especially with the Switch's successor platform likely less than a few years away.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

Yeah, I had heard about it being planned before & thought it'd be coming over here, @RR529 .... Thought there'd likely be some glad it's coming to Switch as well, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

I'd buy it on Switch if I were interested in the game... it just doesn't really appeal to me. Tried the SK games on 3DS and, they were OK I guess. Decent, not great.

Upon much personal reflection, my GotY is also definitely Monster Hunter Rise, though Metroid Dread and Shin Megami Tensei V are close runner ups. And Monster Hunter Stories 2 is also one of the year's best, without question.

I'm currently enthralled with re-experiencing previously released games on the OLED (such as Resident Evil Revelations 2, which looks sooo good with perfect blacks and deeper colors), and enjoying my new D-pad joycon. Until my shell-swapped joycon arrive I've been using the Hori D-pad joycon. I discovered that despite not having gyro, most games still work with gyro because they default to the right joycon in handheld mode. That alone was a game changer cause I can't go without Gyro. Can't do it. Also, even though it doesn't have rumble, the right joycon still does, and it reverberates through the system and into the left joycon- not as strongly but, it still feels good. The only true compromise is no wireless, so tabletop is, well, off the table hehe 😉 But in exchange for the best D-pad I've used in a long time, which makes games like Ultra Street Fighter II playable without the analog, and which makes platformers such as DKC Tropical Freeze more enjoyable.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

I’d say my overall GOTY would be Mass Effect Legendary Edition, but since that is technically a rerelease, my overall GOTY would be MH Stories 2. There might be objectively better games this year, but no other game released this year took up so much of my time, in the good way. I played a 100 plus hours of that game and did so for the joy of it, rather than something like Outriders, where I played like three times as much but just because of the grind treadmill, not because it was actually fun. Like I say, only reason it isn’t my Switch GOTY too as I didn’t play that version.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ralizah

Despite its flaws, I can't think of a new game I enjoyed more this year than SMT V.

If it counts, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is second place.

MH Rise, MH Stories 2, and Gnosia are also on the shortlist.

Metroid Dread will probably also retroactively be near the top when I play it.

JaxonH wrote:

Upon much personal reflection, my GotY is also definitely Monster Hunter Rise

What a twist!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Ikr!

Guess ya never really know yourself...

There was a non-negligible change Metroid Dread could have won out, but in the end, Monster Hunter always wins... But I Tigrex.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

RR529

SM3DW+BF is probably the most unadulterated fun I've had in a game this year. Not the deepest or most immersive, just fun, bright, & slick.

Outside of that I'd probably say Tales of Arise was absolutely fantastic. Nothing genre defining, but it was just a good comfort food JRPG that felt thoroughly modern, with a fun cast, and interesting twists. Obviously not on Switch though.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WoomyNNYes

@rallydefault You can find Switch OLEDs via Best Buy or Target if you check their OLED pages for in-store stock. You cannot buy them via their website (unless you get REALLY lucky with Target, but don't count on it)

In the past week Best Buy seems to be getting bigger shipments, and is probably your best bet. Target stock will sell out soon after opening, while Best Buy may have stock for 1-2 days.

When I went to my best buy that had stock, they hadn't even put them in the case on the floor. I asked the employee if they had stock, because the website said their location had stock. The employee didn't even know they had them. They searched the computer, then went into the back of the store and, came back out with a white OLED for me. On the right side of the best buy oled page, there's green font "Buy it today in-store", select check all locations to see stock in your area. Check daily.
white https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-switch-oled-model-w-whi...
red/blue https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-switch-oled-model-w-neo...

To check Target for in-store stock, on Target's oled page, select Edit Store to the right of the price. Edit Store will show you which locations have stock - these often sell out in the moring if they get any. If Target doesn't have stock, the site won't let you see the pages for the OLED. That's partly why I'm pasting the target links here. (you can find them via google)
white https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-oled-model-with-whit...
red/blue https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-oled-model-with-neon...

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

JaxonH

Switch OLED is available on Amazon right now, fyi. Both variants.

Switch OLED White (Amazon)

Switch OLED Neon (Amazon)

Ryu_Niiyama

My GOTY this year is Age of Calamity; it is the gift that keeps on giving. Its narrative structure allows for a more global perspective than that of Link (which I think skews the storytelling a lot by making him seem more important than he is) and it's got a TON of content...that doesn't feel grindy unlike the first HW game. I need this to become the norm for each new Zelda setting (so not BOTW2), new Hyrule/Legend, new HW companion game, because they really nailed this one. The character playstyles are pretty diverse, even with characters that are derivatives of each other, barely any framerate issues (I understand that wasn't the case in the beginning and I started after all the DLC and updates were out), yet you don't feel over powered either. The bigger enemies have no qualms with ganging up on you and force you use a little strategy and on higher difficulties you can get wrecked. I enjoyed the story...it's so Zelda in the gimmick that was used but it had a lot of fakeouts and twists that kept me engaged. With Zelda games you often have to find the lore in the environment or piece together what the NPCs say to get a gist of what really happened behind the scenes, but this game does a fabulous job of laying it out in a very enjoyable story, so much so that I want to see more of this level of story presentation in future Zelda games. Please note that I'm talking about the presentation (even though BOTW's story presentation makes perfect sense for the game itself considering what happened) and not the writing as for any Zelda fan it's mostly predictable, but what makes it great is really getting a chance to see the other characters shine while link (as he should) fades because the game isn't from his perspective. And the amount of content is insane. I got end credits only to find out I still have a whole lot more stuff to do. And they did a good job with making the game more re-playable.

....now I need another FE Warriors that focuses on Three houses.

My time sink though is Olive Town...it took a few patches to get it on the level and I think Marvelous should have let it bake a few more months, but aside from some slight complaints, this is my ideal SoS. They streamlined a lot of the stuff I dislike and I enjoy the idea of primarily profiting off of the land around you. It feels more focused than previous SoS games (to me).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

The character playstyles are pretty diverse, even with characters that are derivatives of each other, barely any framerate issues (I understand that wasn't the case in the beginning and I started after all the DLC and updates were out)

Interesting. Hadn't heard about them ironing out the framerate. That's great! The demo was fun, but it was also extremely choppy at times. It's why I passed on the game at launch.

@JaxonH The OLED model has been pretty consistently available online for the better part of a week now. It's... eerie, almost. I'm so used to this post-pandemic world of scalper bots, perpetual scarcity of electronics, etc. that seeing a console readily available at MSRP just feels weird.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah Yeah I sat on it because I kept seeing people hosing the frame rate and then I played and I was like...they must have fixed it because this is fine. I know some people are super sensitive (I am in music games for instance) but I had my first bit of slowdown yesterday and considering the amount of enemies and explosions that were going on when it happened...it was expected. Went right back to normal after I cleared out the enemies. I think the 60 frames or else people will find something wrong with it of course, but I didn't see any issues in the hundred and something hours I've played. Gonna put in a few more hours and then on to the next game.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic