Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,521 to 59,540 of 70,074

Ralizah

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is, like, 70 hours of amazing gameplay and narrative even without the DLC.

Still super annoyed the DLC never goes on sale, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Pizzamorg

After building a new team through the wild area and grinding some levels I took down Ghost Boy, then by the skin of my teeth went on to defeat the old Mary Poppins like Gym leader… only to then lose to Hop for the first time! I changed my team again, beat him on the second go around and am now fighting my way through to the next town.

It is kind of a shame the fairy village doesn’t play a bigger role (although maybe it will later on?), it is such a unique and visually interesting location but I feel like I was there for a quick pit stop and then was already leaving it behind.

I guess I could have stuck around, ground it out in the forest, but I think a big part of the reason I am finding Shield so playable and enjoyable so far, is the curve of the game just seems really well tuned. At least so far, as long as you’re engaging with the game and catching new Pokemon along the way, you are going to always be around the right level for the next challenge that comes along. People often criticise Shield for being “too easy”, but I actually don’t think it is necessarily any harder or easier than other games like it on the system at the core. The difference is just the game - at least so far, hasn’t ever spiked the level divide, forcing you to either grind it out or struggle your way through, after each incremental piece of progress. Shield allows for almost constant progression - which I want from a game.

And yeah sure, I did have to grind it out for Ghost Boy and redo my team, as I did for Hop a couple of battles later but I don’t mind doing this in moderation and if the level grind is maybe only like a couple of levels to end up over levelled. It is when these sort of games are tuned/balanced in such a way that you never really feel like you are growing in power, as they curb stomp you after you overcome each challenge. I guess some people want that? But I am glad Shield doesn’t do that.

The one thing I will say about Shield and I guess this has always been true of Pokemon and really many of these sorts of games is as long as you aren’t a type advantage, you can sometimes be carried by just one Pokemon who is stronger than others, which kinda hurts whole team aspect we’re meant to be going for. For me, it is my Boltund, who evolved from the adorable Yamper. I have her in my party from practically the beginning of the game, she is a few levels ahead of even my starter Pokemon who I have also kept in my party from the beginning and usually even without a type advantage, as long as she doesn’t have have a disadvantage, she can usually win fights on her own. At least her Spark move actually connects with other Pokemon! Maybe the only move that does that isn’t like a beam or something.

Sorry the kind of long, rambly, kinda aimless post! Just trying to be a bit more positive upon your guys advice and since this is a game I am really enjoying, I thought I’d try and spread some of the fun I am having.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

ragman7777

i love my switch it is my first nintindo. its kind of amazes me the power it has in such a small device and it runs on very low wattage .. dont have many games so far im wanting mario kart if i can get a deal on it

ragman7777

JaxonH

@ragman7777
We're lucky to live in a time where Switch exists.

All my life I've played handhelds like GBA, DS, 3DS and Vita. It was always the dream to be able to play console games like Metroid Prime on a handheld. Granted, we don't have that specific game (yet) but we've got so much else. Idk what it is, but the idea of playing console games portably has always intrigued me.

But being able to Switch back and forth with the TV, that can't be understated. A lot of systems I buy and am really impressed at first, but that fades after the first year or so. With Switch, I'm just as impressed now as I was the day I got my launch unit. It never gets old.

It's common to see snarky remarks and jabs taken at Switch for being less powerful, but I'm impressed with how capable it is. Playing Death's Door on the OLED and it's like....wow. This looks great. Fired up Monster Hunter Rise tonight for the Sonic crossover Quests and was yet again impressed with how good that game looks in handheld mode. It wasn't long ago I was playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on my 3DS in 240p with a mouse nub for camera control.

I'm anxious to get my hands on the Steam Deck, which exists in no small part thanks to Switch paving the way. Like Switch, it will be able to dock to the TV, and like Switch, you can have one model connected to the TV permanently and use cross save to link with your portable model.

The hybrid concept is the future.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Snatcher

@JaxonH I just don't see how people can say its an actual crappy device just because it doesn't have Playstation/Xbox Graphics.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

@Snatcher
I think the answer depends on the person saying it.

1) Some people genuinely have grown accustomed to power platform graphics and see anything less as insufficient. But these ppl were never the target audience. These are gamers highly insulated in their own bubbles and have no interest in branching out. For these people, hybrid advantage is meaningless, and graphics/performance is everything. Their opinion is definitely valid, but at the same time, mostly irrelevant since they arent who the system is for.

2) Some feel insecure seeing others enjoy a different console, kind of like the kid who lashes out at their brother when they see mom giving them attention. It's jealousy. Their way of remedying that is just like the kid who hits their brother- they lash out in anger. They insult the alternative console ppl are enjoying and trash it using whatever vector of attack possible. Be it graphics, the games, whatever.

I'm reminded of The Count of Monte Cristo (one of my all time favorite movies)...

Mercedes:
I know what you want, Fernand.
Fernand:
You do?
Mercedes:
Remember when we were kids and Edmond got that whistle for his birthday, and you got a pony? You were so mad that Edmond was happier with his whistle than you were with your pony.

I think a lot of gamers develop a sense of superiority toward their preferred platform (just look at the arguments between PS and Xbox fans counting pixels in Digital Foundry videos to declare which one is "better") and because the games they play have such high end graphics, when they see ppl having just as much fun as them despite the games not being as visually impressive, it triggers that jealousy double time, and it's why they use that specific vector of attack, to feel better about it.

All that said, everyone loves graphics, even if they won't admit it. They do add to the experience. And one day, we'll have a Switch that can do graphics on par with 8th gen consoles like Steam Deck. Just... don't expect those trashing the system to suddenly stop.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Snatcher

@JaxonH You really do make a strong argument there, And I 100% agree with you.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

ragman7777

i recall a day the switches gpu and cpu power needed a huge fan that sounded like a vacuum cleaner.. enitre pc with no monitor used like 170 watts while running. only negative for me anyway is it seems games cost more. but the games are worth the price so far

ragman7777

JaxonH

Monster Hunter Rise DIGITAL $24.99 on Walmart website

and

Monster Hunter Rise PHYSICAL $24.99 on Gamestop website

One of the best games on Switch.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Amazing deal!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
I'm not American people but is Walmart still selling cheap pre owned games over there ?
I wish i can go to that place to hunt dirt cheap pre owned games, i only knew Walmart from watching America's Next Top Model for Covergirl challenge or Runway challenge.

Anti-Matter

JokerCK

@JaxonH Digital version orders instantly canceling. They said pricing error. It was truly an opportunity not to be missed.

JokerCK

JaxonH

@Anti-Matter
Can't say. I never shop in store and don't really buy pre-owned. Gamestop is typically where ppl shop for pre-owned.

@Ralizah
I'm trying to think of ways to use these deals for Christmas gifts, since I cant take advantage myself. I usually give all my guys in the lab a gift each year, and one of them has a Switch, and has as of yet resisted my urge to try Monster Hunter. (This is me, scheming how to get him into MH 😉)

edit
Yooo, credit to Nintendo for improving their eShop experience.

Not long ago I mentioned you could redeem codes on your browser, here

https://ec.nintendo.com/redeem/#/

And now I just learned you can buy and remote install games from your browser as well. I saw a free Thanksgiving Pack DLC for Hotwheels Unleashed, and was able to purchase (for free) via my browser, at which point it said it would automatically download and install.

Picked up my Switch and saw it downloaded and installed in front of my eyes.

That's what's up.

Edited on by JaxonH

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH That's been a thing for over a year I think, at least. It's a nice feature.

Unless youre me and forget which Switch is the linked one

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NintendoByNature

I think that's always been a thing on switch, no? That's typically how I buy most games, even on wii u or 3ds. I buy on the website and it starts DLing

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
If it has been I never knew it.

I've always done it for Steam games, but for Switch I go to the eShop. For a while I didn't even know you could buy games on their site, much less remote install. I always figured it would just show up in your re-download list.

Either way, I'm happy. It's so much easier buying and entering codes on their site.

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH yea its a nice feature for sure. I usually buy games from my phone while at work and they're ready to play when I get home.

NintendoByNature

ragman7777

i also love it dont use optical drives. i was so bad at ruining dvd and bluray disk or geting finger prints on disk.

ragman7777

JaxonH

Ya, discs are dated tech. Though all storage mediums will eventually degrade. The only way to truly ensure a game lasts in perpetuity is to be able to re-download as needed. Plus I like backing up my three 1TB microSD cards on my PC external HDD just in case the SD malfunctions. Can easily copy paste to a new microSD and I'm back in business.

In fact, should probably order a new 4TB external SSD with all the deals going on.

Edited on by JaxonH

BruceCM

Heh, who else remembers when Tomorrow's World revealed CDs & she demonstrated how you could eat off 1 .... Only me?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic