Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,821 to 5,840 of 70,076

Haru17

Lol wut, Powers!?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

@Haru17
Yeah, I don't know either. Also since I posted that it has had another 800k views so. I reckon it'll at least get to the #2 spot amongst the official console gaming channels. Not that it means much outside of the obviously decent amount of exposure it's getting.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Octane

How big are the chances that Nintendo ditched the touch screen? There's no camera either, it looks to be very minimal, probably to save costs.

Octane

Shinion

@Octane Laura Dale is very certain that it is a touch screen, though not one that will be shoved down our throats so to speak. She said it'll be used with the port of Super Mario Maker though these statements of how it'll be a single screen experience at all times muddy the waters a bit.

Shinion

skywake

@Octane
Well according to this: http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-ni...

The Switch has a touch screen and also has motion and rumble in those JoyCon thingos. But that they didn't show these things in the trailer because:

NintendoSource wrote:

the purpose of the reveal trailer was to show the console’s unique selling point in as focused a manner as possible. They say that motion support will be confirmed closer to launch, but that Nintendo does not want the brand messaging around the Switch confused at this early stage.

The trailer as it was showed basically the same scene over and over again. It was the Switch at home being played docked and then the person taking it somewhere else and playing the same game. Or the other way around. Or not getting home at all. If they showed motion controls? Do that wrong and people might think of it as another Wii. Show touch controls? Well, is this thing a GamePad now? They didn't need to show it.

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Octane

I definitely agree with that reasoning. However, I just wondered, since all games are also playable in docked mode, it could do without a touch screen. Would the additional costs of a touch screen be justified by a couple of games and browsing through menus in handheld mode? I have no idea how much they would save if they don't include one. Maybe it's just a regular touch screen after all, as looks like the dev kits have just confirmed that.

Octane

skywake

@Octane
Well for a start I think games like Mario Maker and whatever mobile ports they put on this thing are worth it. But even outside of that I think there's value having a touch screen even if you can only use it in tablet mode. I'm assuming this thing will have a web browser and probably apps for youtube and netflix. And I'd also hope that MiiVerse drawings would still be a thing. So yeah, I think it'd be justified for that stuff.

Edited on by skywake

WebHead

i think the screen will be touch but wont be a big focus for the system.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

dtjive

That rumour of a 3DS successor in the future is just going to be a smaller, refined version of it that doesn't come with a dock. Possibly also no option to detach the controllers either. Would come out Nov 2018 at $100 lower.

dtjive

Faruko

@WebHead Bad in what way ? In terms of sales... Probably, it focus wsy too much in gaming performance (althou Denver CPU are no joke)

But in terms of graphical performance, the just released Snapdragon 821 JUST matches the Tegra X1, and rumours are X2 is about 2x powerful.

Developers have been saying that mobile chips will hit ps4/xb1 performance in 2017

Edit: Remember Tegra was never planned to be for mobile devices (at least not slim/small ones = zero heat dissipation) PX2 (Tegra X2 in a nutshell) ia being used for self driving cars and gaming, but there has been 0 devices with it, whoch leads to believe Nintendo wants all the TegraX2 supply to meet NS demand

Edited on by Faruko

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

skywake

dtjive wrote:

That rumour of a 3DS successor in the future is just going to be a smaller, refined version of it that doesn't come with a dock. Possibly also no option to detach the controllers either.

I could see this happening down the track. I just don't think there'd be much point in not including the dock. Because from what we know there's no reason to believe that the dock is any more than just a tidy way to plug in USB/Power/HDMI all at once.

WebHead

Could also see a switch tv scenario where its just a box with the switch innards. like vita tv.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Faruko

@WebHead Yeah, they didnt (Not sure about the Nexus 9 tho, but thats besides the point) so all in all, in terms of gaming this is kinda Nvidia biggest chance to leave a mark on the scene...

I think, for what the switch is supposed to do, the Tegra X2 (or whatever is called, or whatever Tegra version is) was a great choice, it has the strongest GPU of all ARM devices, with more than capable CPU for gaming.

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

Haruki_NLI

This is thing is so alarmingly close to traditional (if you like that term) for a console. Even the PS4 has some fairly useless gimmick. :/

Developing for one screen with Prime is a tad weird but...if it brings the mainstream in I guess...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@BLPs It was never going to have two screens, be a portable, play in TV, deliver acceptable visuals and be affordable. You can't do everything.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Its never going to do anything but i dont think anyone took them seriously about their comments on marketing, messaging, games lineup, hardware...any of it.

Iwata set out to make this thing so...un-Nintendo as possible that I dont know what the catch is. There probay isnt even one.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Buizel

On the topic of touch screens and home/TV play...

Does anyone think it may be able to stream to the TV, via the docking station? i.e. sort of a reverse Wii U gamepad situation, where the device is in your hand, processing the game / app (e.g. Netflix), however this is streamed through wifi to the dock, so that you can use the TV and portable screen simultaneously? Is that reasonable?

At least 2'8".

Nicolai

One big reason why it certainly has touch screen is that just about every handheld device now adays had one. Every phone, every tablet, even every laptop. So it'll be quite confusing for kids when every device they've been exposed to is fully touchable.

EDIT: I suppose it would be just as confusing for adults, too!
EDITIT: @BLPs said "Iwata set out to make this thing so...un-Nintendo as possible that I dont know what the catch is. There probay isnt even one."

It's possible that a lot of un-Nintendo things were influenced lately by Kimishima. The whole idea of how the Switch should be as different from the Wii/Wii U as possible is largely a Kimishima philosophy. Probably the one thing he's publically expressed.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic