Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 41,861 to 41,880 of 69,962

Dogorilla

@HobbitGamer haha I'm always amazed by the number of people who say things like that unironically in the comments on news articles about Joycon drift. I probably shouldn't bother reading the comments on the news page to be honest...

But yeah hopefully it won't be too much hassle to fix. It seems mostly better after recalibrating it but I think i still noticed a little bit of drift. If it continues I'll try using some compressed air like people have suggested for Joycons.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Ralizah

@Tsurii

Untitled

I've always wanted the opportunity to use that GIF in a post. Thank you.

@NintendoByNature Yeah, I was a bit taken aback by how grim the subject matter was. The cartoonish character designs, lack of music, and limited Japanese voice acting certainly helped it to not feel too overwhelming, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Magician

@Tsurii @Ralizah

This is a great time for rpg fans on Switch, my friends.

Is it not?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

@Magician Absolutely. It's funny remembering that, less than two full year ago, the system felt like it had jack all in the way of JRPG support. Now I can't keep up with all the RPGs I want to play on this system. I mean, I knew it would explode with Japanese support before long, but it kinda crept up on me. And I was NOT expecting the Western RPGs: the Witchers and South Parks and Wastelands and Diablos and whatnot.

@Tsurii I've had pretty good tech luck to this point myself. I bought my Xbox 360 during the height of RROD-mania and it worked beautifully for years. We eventually replaced it with a newer 360, but that's most due to the fact that the older model didn't have the ability to connect to wifi without purchasing an expensive adapter. I experienced drift earlier this year, but a can of compressed air mostly solved the issue (it acts up every now and then, but not enough to noticeably make my gameplay experiences worse).

I wish we could get stats on how many Switch owners have experienced joycon drift at some point. It's definitely a widespread problem... I just don't know HOW widespread it is.

Tasuki

@Tsurii From my experiences with the DS4 I know that wierd techy things happen. I have been through so many DS4s that I can't even count them anymore. I have had everything from the sticks stop working to the triggers failing an others are still using their original DS4s.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Ralizah

Man, my DS4 from 2014 still works fine. Great controller. Glad I'm not a bad luck magnet like summa y'all seem to be.

I haven't really heard any widespread complaints about the DS4, though, so I'm guessing problems either aren't as common or aren't as widely publicized.

Edited on by Ralizah

EvilLucario

@Ralizah What kind of Satanic ritual do I need to go through to accept the DS4? :^]

Hardware-wise it works but the ergonomics SUCK. Although I've vented about that ad nauseum so I won't beat a dead horse here.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@EvilLucario It's comfy. Very nice triggers. Sticks are nice and grip your fingers. I like the feel of the controller itself (contrasted with something like the Wii U Pro, which had awful stick placement and was way too slick and untextured for its own good). Decent D-Pad. The battery life definitely sucks, and the entire Options/Touchpad/Share area of the controller could use some work, but it's definitely my favorite of Sony's controllers thus far, and my favorite overall controller for general purpose use, which is why I use it on my Switch in lieu of a Pro Controller.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

Just bought an m-cable which has a built in post processor to scale to 1080p and add anti-aliasing, a cable which has been lauded by Spawnwave and quite a few gaming sites as being legit, though expensive.

It’s apparently perfect for Switch, which has tons of jaggies, and works best when setting the console to output 720p instead of 1080p, because the cable scales better than the Switch itself.

NOTE: LINES ARE JUST FROM CAMERA TAKING A PICTURE OF A TV SCREEN, THEY DON’T ACTUALLY EXIST- THESE ARE NOT NATIVE SCREENSHOTS, THEY WERE CAPTURED WITH A CAMERA OFF A TV SCREEN
Left = Normal HDMI Right = m-cable
Untitled

Left = Normal HDMI Right = m-cable
Untitled

Amazon actually has the 9 foot version (which is typically most expensive at $140) directly from Marseille, the manufacturer, for $107, with a 5% Off clip coupon on the page, so $101 shipped. Or the 3 foot version is $95 after coupon. Gotta be sure to not buy one of the older versions which didn’t have the processor for AA. The warning on the page states as much. Gotta be sure it says m-cable For Gaming.

m-cable 9-foot $101 Amazon after 5% clip coupon

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

1UP_MARIO

@JaxonH works great on the Wii u for Wii games too. Works on everything really. I want one. It’s expensive but I really want one

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

JaxonH

@1UP_MARIO
Ya, I remember talk about it a while back, but I never really looked into it.

It’s amazing. It may be expensive but, for $100 you can basically smooth out your switch games to look better? Shoot... done and done. I wouldn’t have paid $150 which is full price, but to get their longest cable available for $100? Fair trade imo.

Wish I’d looked into this sooner though. This is gonna help with Fire Emblem Three Houses, but I could have used for Xenoblade.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Oooh!

Civilization VI Rise and Fall expansion and Gathering Storm expansion headed to Switch this year!

I told people that Aspyr rep let it slip on Reddit.

Also, Nintendo now fixing joycons free of charge without proof of purchase. Doing the right thing. Respect.

Edited on by JaxonH

Heavyarms55

@JaxonH Looking at Mario's nose in those pictures, what's up with all the lines on the right side? That would annoy me far more than the jagged edges that I hardly notice.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Heavyarms55

@JaxonH Lovely news! Looking forward to dropping yet another hundred hours into Civ 6!

I hope they fixed the "war with your ally" bug though. If you make an alliance on the same turn someone allied with them declares war with you, you end up helps as your ally murders you while you cannot fight back. A very specific bug that I have managed to trip more than once... It's in the PC version too.

1UP_MARIO

@JaxonH its a great purchase at that price. I’ll be looking into getting one.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

IceClimbers

Edit: Dammit, I should actually read the thread before posting lol

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

Playing Oninaki. I actually quite like it! It’s much, much better than I Am Setsuna or Lost Sphear. The combat is a lot more fun being in real time. The skill tree is pretty cool. And it has the whole light and dark world theme going for it like Zelda Link Between Worlds or Metroid Prime 2. Except, it’s the world of the living and dead. And there are unique mechanics for switching between them. If you just switch into the world of the dead any time, a veil of darkness ensues and any blow will be fatal, but if you do it next to this miasma, which usually appears after defeating certain tough enemies, the veil will be lifted and attacks won’t be fatal. So you really have to be strategic about when you switch. Then you may get a little ways into the world and then the path ends with darkness so you have to switch back to the world of the living to continue, but then the path ends with a miasma enemy, so you switch back to the world of the dead. It’s really cool.

And then there are these black whirl pool looking warps that instantly warp you across gaps, and there are these totem pole things where, if you step into them a shimmering force field thing surrounds you, and you can press A for a menu to access fast travel and saving your game, etc (even though the game auto saves also I believe).

I was always buying the game physically for import but, now I think I’m convinced to buy digitally as well. Especially with the preorder discount on the eShop.

Would be interested to hear others’ feedback for the game as well.

edit
One thing I’m not a fan of is the inability to cancel into a dash. It makes it rather useless. I saw a skill in the skill tree that allows you to take an action immediately after dashing but I am more concerned with dashing immediately after taking an action. You have to wait for your attack animation to completely stop before you can dash. And by the time that happens the enemy has already hit you. If they could address that one thing I think it would play a lot smoother

@Heavyarms55
That’s just the camera taking a picture off the tv. It wasn’t a native screenshot. There is no lines actually visible. It’s like when you try to take a picture of your 3DS and it looks like there’s a bunch of lines in the picture but they don’t actually exist. That’s just what happens when you take a picture of a screen with a camera.

And that’s an interesting bug. Very specific. I suppose it’s good to be aware of so as to avoid it.

Edited on by JaxonH

Heavyarms55

@JaxonH Oh, I didn't realize it was a photo. That makes sense. And yeah it is a really specific bug, I imagine many people would never run into it. Just a coincidence that I did. It took it happening more than once before I realized it and looking online I found a few people saying they ran into the same thing. Apparently though sometimes the reverse happens, where the AI sees you as an ally and lets you tear through them. Though I've never experienced that version myself.

JaxonH

Excellent write up for people curious about Fire Emblem Three Houses but aren’t entirely familiar with the series.

http://insert-gamer.com/10-things-newcomers-need-to-know-abou...

Tasuki

Ralizah wrote:

Man, my DS4 from 2014 still works fine. Great controller. Glad I'm not a bad luck magnet like summa y'all seem to be.

I haven't really heard any widespread complaints about the DS4, though, so I'm guessing problems either aren't as common or aren't as widely publicized.

It was mainly the first batch IIRC but with me it just seemed I kept getting bad ones.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic