Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,861 to 35,880 of 70,025

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Meanwhile, i have 3 PS4 games to be Eliminated (World of Final Fantasy, FF X/X-2 HD, FF XII the Zodiac Age) due to Switch version availability in the future.
Once i got the Switch version in physical, i will kiss goodbye to those PS4 version games.

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@JaxonH certainly great if true. I never use trailers as a reference though. Not even Nintendo. We'll see what we see. Trailers are way too easy to generate on pc with reference spec or dev kit hardware, and when when games do run well the trailer isn't always cut from that for time reasons.

Also not sure the game eat really made with switch in mind given their comments about having announced it before knowing what nx was and thus the need for so much time to get it running. My interpretation had always been that they assumed it would be a Nintendo ps4 announced the game, then found out it was a mobile ARM machine and had already locked themselves into it so they had to port from scratch. Could be wrong, but that's what i got from various interviews. That's kept me a little uneasy about the game.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@SuperWeird oops, i really shouldn't be texting while Christmasing.... I keep making these errors

NEStalgia

BenGrimm

@NEStalgia
Is it still a port if they started the game from scratch? Genuine question as I know nothing about these things.

BenGrimm

Alantor28

Finally beaten Smash Bros Ultimate's Adventure Mode. It was a great adventure mode and I even got the true ending on my first playthrough. And I unlocked all fighters to use in Smash Bros Ultimate's Smash Mode and Classic Mode. I even got 706 spirits. I hope when they make the next Smash Bros one day, it will have as much fun as Ultimate.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

NEStalgia

@BenGrimm At a technical level, no, it's not a direct port of the code. Otoh if it's not a remaster, isn't developed at the same time by the same team as the other versions, and shares some assets, code etc, it's kind of an island. The word "port" is probably inaccurate in how it's applied. The specific technical use would be talking existing code and modifying it to work in another environment after it's complete. But games, being complex there really is more to it than that basic technical description. In the world of pc port more often refers to language than environment these days. Somehow nobody says port when it's windows to Mac. But everybody says port when it's windows to Unix. Yet in games either everyone says port when it's a game for another platform arriving late, or everyone defends that nothing is a port because parts of it are written new. The word has lost most value now ouside language conversions. Perhaps for gaming a conversion is a better phrase that rules out the pedantic technical assertions.

NEStalgia

link3710

@Ryu_Niiyama Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather have Tatsunoko vs Capcom (or better yet a sequel) then MVC3 getting ported over. Almost certainly won't happen, but that'd be my dream vs game to show up.

link3710

Octane

@NEStalgia DQ11 runs on UE4, so they didn't have to mess with porting custom engines or anything like that. However, I do believe there was an issue with the Switch not supporting older versions of UE4 on which this game ran, so that lead to some problems (could've been another game though). Didn't they say they were waiting on Epic to fix that? It's SE after all, wouldn't surprise me.

Octane

kkslider5552000

NEStalgia wrote:

certainly great if true. I never use trailers as a reference though. Not even Nintendo. We'll see what we see. Trailers are way too easy to generate on pc with reference spec or dev kit hardware, and when when games do run well the trailer isn't always cut from that for time reasons.

Considering the fact that we saw Crystal Chronicles not running super well, I assume SE isn't trying to manipulate much with their trailers.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
No third-party officially announces a game before they know what hardware they’re developing for. Nobody’s going to come out and announce Call of Duty for the 3DS before they know what the 3DS is, because you have to know what you’re developing for before you announce the games are going to develop.

When they announced this for Switch I guarantee you they had a dev kit. Or at the very least Nintendo had come to demo the system for them. An architect doesn’t make a commitment to build without first sitting down and considering the cost. A developer doesn’t make a commitment to create a game on a platform without first sitting down and considering whether it can be done. That doesn’t mean their judgment is always spot on because nobody is perfect, But Square Enix is a seasoned developer, and this isn’t the first rodeo for the DQ team. Don’t turn into knuckles on us here. The game will be fine. There is zero evidence in any possible way that suggests it won’t be. If you’re going to start getting the worrywarts over this game you’re going to have to get the worrywarts over every single third-party game coming to the system. And there’s just no justification for it. The game will be fine. It’s not even true open world, it’s cartoony and cel shaded, and we already see the game in-engine, looking spectacular. For once can we just be excited for a game without predicting every possible thing that could go wrong. First it was “oh they cancelled it, it’s not coming” despite them saying half a dozen times, on half a dozen separate occasions, that the game was coming. Now it’s “ it’s going to look and run horrible” despite not one iota of tangible evidence to support it... come on now. This whole “Let’s expect disaster for everything so we’re never disappointed” Knuckles philosophy just destroys any and all enjoyment

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

@link3710 yeah I never mention TvC only because I have a better chance of growing another eye than Capcom porting TvC or making a sequel. Which sucks since I am a fan of many of the Tatsunoko IP. Although after MvC: I bombed Capcom may fish for another property.

Also TvC was horribly broken.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

HobbitGamer

NEStalgia wrote:

certainly great if true. I never use trailers as a reference though. Not even Nintendo. We'll see what we see. Trailers are way too easy to generate on pc with reference spec or dev kit hardware, and when when games do run well the trailer isn't always cut from that for time reasons.

stares at ARK

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Octane

JaxonH wrote:

No third-party officially announces a game before they know what hardware they’re developing for.

Final Fantasy 7 remake

Octane

link3710

Huh, I'm both surprised and happy to find out there's Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom fans here. I've never been any good at non-Smash fighting games, but that game, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and Soul Calibur 2 and 3 are the ones I've played that I enjoy enough to play to this day. I'm not even sure why I like that one so much, considering I hate playing Street Fighter so much? But it's just a load of fun.

link3710

NEStalgia

@kkslider5552000 it's not always manipulation as much as hopeful thinking in advance.

@JaxonH Err, SE does exactly that all too often. Not just with Nintendo. But i recall am interview i believe covered here on NL where they explicitly said they said they'd support NX before they actually knew what it was and that's what caught then off guard with development difficulties when it turned out to be handheld. IIRC the whole "announcement" was a communications error. Saito, the producer, announced (x and xi) for a c, ps4 and "nx which Nintendo it's currently developing".... Then after, the company sent clarifications that they were merely "considering nx". And more recently was that interview where they said it was said before they knew what nx was. It's all been very confusing how they're handling this game, thus I've always had uncertainty around it.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Octane funny thing was the version of ue4 having issues and waiting for epic is the same excuse bamco gives about not making an x1x patch for tekken 7 even though ps4 pro had one....

NEStalgia

BenGrimm

@NEStalgia
Thanks, I just see the word thrown around a lot here and it’s usually in a negative way. This story sounded a lot different to the ones you usually hear being used in.

BenGrimm

Therad

It is the internet, of course it is used only as a negative.

In a technical standpoint, anytime you need to alter the code it is porting it. In the good ol' days, this was more or less a rewrite.

All games today are written in high-level languages and target a game engine instead of hardware. The engine makers smooth out any difference between platforms, so the devs can concentrate on game logic.

This usually translates to less rewrite when porting. Which is good, since games are much much bigger today.

As a side note, the cost of porting goes up if you yourself need to port the engine. And if I would speculate a bit, I would guess frostbite labs can only port to a platform if it is sanctioned by EA, otherwise the devs need to bear the cost.

Therad

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Oh they very well may have said they’ll develop for it, but they’re not going to narrow down a specific game until they know whether it can be done or not. It’s easy to commit developing for the system in general because there’s always specific games you can find to put on the system.

So let the uncertainty be gone because the game is confirmed- we’ve already seen it now with our own eyes and we got a 2019 release date, so... poof. Begone uncertainty

@Octane
Weeeell ya... that’ll probably be a PS5 title but, that’s not to say it wasn’t started in development for the current consoles. Kinda like Final Fantasy Versus XIII started for 360/PS3

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic