Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,381 to 3,400 of 70,025

WebHead

between the tv play, the multitouch screnn, and detachable phyiscal control pads, controls could make nx a pain to develop for. nintendo always finds a way to complicate it lol.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

WebHead wrote:

between the tv play, the multitouch screnn, and detachable phyiscal control pads, controls could make nx a pain to develop for. nintendo always finds a way to complicate it lol.

Only if developers want to use those features. At its core the default configuration is a single 16:9 display with two analogues, D-Pad, A/B/X/Y, triggers etc. Pretty standard stuff really.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

@skywake kinda the same for the Wii U, but developers kept saying how they didn't want to develop for Wii U because they didn't know what to do with the GamePad.

A) bad excuse, Off-TV play was enough for tons of people.
B)Normally just used as an excuse when they actually just didn't want to put the effort in

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

erv

kobashi100 wrote:

@FragRed which is why I said on here weeks ago that the NX is not a hybrid. It is a handheld which simply allows TV out. People speculating that the Wii U dock would have extra power were just hoping for that.

This has always been my hybrid concept. The extra power in the base thing was a counter hypothesis that could offset the power some believed it would lack.

Basically, if any portable is any matter of significance better than Wii u, I consider it great enough for the big screen.

Some disagreed, which led to the theory you quoted.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Grandpa_Pixel

erv wrote:

kobashi100 wrote:

@FragRed which is why I said on here weeks ago that the NX is not a hybrid. It is a handheld which simply allows TV out. People speculating that the Wii U dock would have extra power were just hoping for that.

This has always been my hybrid concept. The extra power in the base thing was a counter hypothesis that could offset the power some believed it would lack.

Basically, if any portable is any matter of significance better than Wii u, I consider it great enough for the big screen.

Some disagreed, which led to the theory you quoted.

I also believe it to be a handheld with TV capabilities. Nintendo's handhelds have always been their best sellers. Time to tip the scales!

Grandpa_Pixel

rallydefault

@Grumblevolcano
Yea, I was actually planning on finally buying a New 3DS for Sun/Moon, but now that the NX is just over the horizon, and it's looking more and more like a portable first, home console second, I don't know if I want to spend the money. I'm afraid it may be wasted.

Maybe I'll just buy a 2DS for 90 bucks or whatever just for around the house.

rallydefault

WebHead

@rallydefault understandable since there's a pretty good chance NX is going to cost US$250.

WebHead

dtjive

Just reverting back to the Emily Rogers specs rumour:

I think 720p and 32gb of hard drive is fine. Likewise, I think also being lower than the Xbox/PS4 is fine too. Whilst those graphics won't get third party support (but I don't think Nintendo are seriously interested in acquiring that), it won't prevent Nintendo style games looking fantastic. Nintendo often goes with a cartoony art style that is graphically less intensive so doesn't need massive power under the hood for what they aim to develop. However, I do hope that 32gb is just one of two options (the other being 64gb or 128gb perhaps?), and that when hooked up to the dock, the games play at 1080p. Neither of those would be deal breakers for me personally, but I think it will help sell the idea to people a little more.

The things that will make or break this device though aren't that above but are:

1) the controllers. It concerns me about the parallels draw to the wiimotes. I'll reserve judgment until I see it but I don't like the wiimotes and think personally it's something Nintendo should distance themselves from. Even if there are other control options available, I think a new wiimote bundled with the hardware could spell trouble

2) the games. Likely Nintendo have spent a lot of time sorting this out for launch. We already know BotW is coming and hopefully there will be some other big titles too. I'm confident Nintendo will get this aspect right, but they really need to. They need to aim to have at least two major A titles a year with a number of respectable and well liked B titles too. This is something the Wii U didn't achieve.

3) the price. Whilst I said the specs/resolution/power aren't going to make or break this thing as I think they are good for what is primarily a handheld- at the same time something that doesn't achieve 1080p or offer much storage does sound a little on the budget side. So Nintendo need to price it as such. Anything above $249 is going to kill sales imo.

dtjive

WebHead

@dtjive i'd say at this point it's 80% going to be US $250. Nintendo will probably use the specs, concept, likely included dock, likely free online, and hopefully good lineup to justify the price.

WebHead

CrazyOtto

isaiahhoyt wrote:

@CrazyOtto Well what about animal crossing gemicom and amiibo support

Thank you, I forgot to put down that one.

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

IceClimbers

@WebHead I think it would be a much better value at $250 than the 3DS was at launch, plus we aren't knee deep in a recession like we were back then.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers I'd argue the games would decide whether that's true. 3DS also had the situation of a big drought until holiday 2011 and even then the console didn't realize its potential until early 2013.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

If the power rumors are true, for a handheld that'd be pretty great. But considering they clearly plan on the 3ds getting most of the attention for the next year as far as their handhelds go, I think they'll be presenting the NX as a home console first and foremost, regardless of its portable capabilities. At which point, the power is pretty disappointing.

That said, $250 would be a good sweet spot. I'd pay that much. But then again I paid that much for a 3DS so I'm not very good at judging worthy prices.

TuVictus

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano That part was assumed. Yes, the games definitely matter. Zelda BotW already makes it better than the 3DS's launch lineup.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers There's still a chance BotW isn't a launch title. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

erv

@Grumblevolcano there's a certain irony in the fact that your remark has some merit.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

MarcelRguez

Operative wrote:

If the power rumors are true, for a handheld that'd be pretty great. But considering they clearly plan on the 3ds getting most of the attention for the next year as far as their handhelds go, I think they'll be presenting the NX as a home console first and foremost, regardless of its portable capabilities. At which point, the power is pretty disappointing.

That said, $250 would be a good sweet spot. I'd pay that much. But then again I paid that much for a 3DS so I'm not very good at judging worthy prices.

I really hope they don't make the mistake of introducing it as a home console. It's going to get some bad press if they decide to go that route.

About the 3DS getting the spotlight, I would say that it's a "spotlight" at most and not necessarily the center of attention. Keep in mind that most of the upcoming games are either outsourced or third-party. The dev teams at Nintendo are obviously busy developing software for the NX.

Also, to compare and contrast, a list of GBA software developed or published by Nintendo after the NDS hit the Japanese market:
·The bit Generation series
·DK King of Swing
·Donkey Kong Country 3
·Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
·Drill Dozer
·Mario Tennis: Power Tour
·Mother 3
·Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
·Polarium Advance
·Rhythm Heaven
·The Tower SP
·WarioWare: Twisted!
·Yoshi’s Universal Gravitation

See what I mean?

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

cwong15

I'm not too concerned about the 32mb storage in the latest rumor. Most mobile devices come with a modest amount of flash storage because many people don't need that much and a mechanical hard drive is unsuitable for portables. But at the same time, many mobile services also let you insert an SD card of your choice to expand that storage space. The increasingly inexpensive and high capacity of solid state storage these days makes both cartridge media and DIY storage expansion quite feasible these days.

cwong15

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic