Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 25,341 to 25,360 of 70,017

Haruki_NLI

So I'm doing some price comparisons right now and....jesus christ is GAME price gauging Nintendo stuff again? They are discounting stuff but I'm looking at the RRP "Was" price.

Payday 2 - £40.99 on Amazon/ £44.99 on eShop/ £59.99 at GAME.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FragRed

@Octane Good graphics is certainly the easiest way to market a game. Look at how game trailers, especially now days, seem to focus on close ups and action where they can really showcase the graphical marvels the game has to offer. Close ups on people show how "amazing" the skin textures and hair looks while explosions and particle effects help create the feeling of "wow, this looks so pretty" without actually having to do or say anything about the gameplay.

Remember the first Watch Dogs when it was first announced? All about the graphics. The game wasn't bad, just nothing special, but all the initial trailers were all about them graphics and everything that happened in the trailer was a "look at me, look at me" kinda scenario.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@YummyHappyPills When was it £59.99? Was that their stupid placeholder price? Anyway, it's £39.99 now. Still overpriced IMO, but at least better than 60.

@FragRed True, and that's the nature of trailers. It's a lot more difficult to convey gameplay without putting a controller in people's hands. So they focus on the stuff you can show off in a video, the visuals.

Octane

Anti-Matter

@Octane
"The irony is that even though many people claim that the most important thing in video games is graphics"

Let's take a case of FF XIII or FF XV.
Ultra HD OMG Graphics, Stunning, But the gameplay are Ewwww..... Very very Disappointing.
Graphics is not everything for me, but still important.
The more Realistic, the more i dislike.

Anti-Matter

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Probably at launch.

Anti-Matter

@FragRed
"Good graphics is certainly the easiest way to market a game. Look at how game trailers, especially now days, seem to focus on close ups and action where they can really showcase the graphical marvels the game has to offer. Close ups on people show how "amazing" the skin textures and hair looks while explosions and particle effects help create the feeling of "wow, this looks so pretty" without actually having to do or say anything about the gameplay."

That's Absolutely not working for me.
I'm done with those Ultra HD OMG Graphics. 🙄
I will rolling my eyes whenever i see like that. Such a Shameful campaign of newest games. 🙄
Gimme something cute , cheerful, funny and colorful, my eyes will staring at those games.
Oh, yeah, because i'm the opposite.

Anti-Matter

Haruki_NLI

Frame Rate > Art Style > Resolution

toiletduck

Anti-Matter wrote:

Graphics is not everything for me, but still important.
The more Realistic, the more i dislike.

I totally agree on that. I don't think it will get any better for me than BOTW (just to name one).

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Scrummer

Anti-Matter wrote:

Gimme something cute , cheerful, funny and colorful, my eyes will staring at those games.

I'm in the same boat. While I don't necessarily dislike games with realistic graphics, I honestly prefer a colorful art style to a gritty one. For instance, if you showed me a trailer for Breath of the Wild, and then a trailer for Call of Duty, I would probably be more attracted to BOTW, because it has an original art style, and it isn't just another hyper-realistic war game.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

StuTwo

Therad wrote:

I think it is a mediocre and cumbersome offering. And some stuff are downright bad. Nintendo games don't usually go down in price, but you don't get coins if you buy it 1-2 years after release date? You also need to manually enter you want coins?

These kinds of programs are usually offered to incentivize people to buy more. Would you feel inclined to into a store if they put up a sign that said "1% off on everything in the store"?

Surely the point is that the rewards scheme is primarily to nudge people’s behaviour and secondarily to allow Nintendo to collect detailed information on who is buying and playing what?

Physical isn’t the most profitable for Nintendo. They lose out in manufacturing, distribution and the retailer will take a 20-40% cut. Plus the retailer has a huge influence on what they sell because they are in charge of what a prospective customer sees on the store shelves. Plus those physical copies might be resold to someone who would otherwise have had to buy a brand new copy.

So why should they want to reward physical sales equally to digital? The reward scheme is a very deliberate and surgically positioned strategy to move the biggest buyers onto digital whilst also offering just enough to not send the physical retailers into a frenzy against Nintendo.

Effectively it makes digital purchases 5% cheaper than physical ones sold at RRP.

Is it a great loyalty scheme for consumers? Not really - it’s OK and better than nothing. I’d rather they just reduced digital prices by 5% but I can totally understand the tricky political realities that would make that a very difficult thing to do.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

Azooooz

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Frame Rate >Gameplay> Art Style > Resolution

Fixed it for you.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

toiletduck

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

First Mega Man Legacy Collection Switch footage

Mega Man 5 footage to be exact.

Makes me realise(/remember) to what extent Mega Man 2-5 (don't know the later editions) are mainly just level packs of Mega Man 1. Not that that is a bad thing: just give me more levels of a great game. But a lot of people are complaining if the same thing happens for newer 2D platformers (e.g. NSMB), even though it becomes harder and harder to innovate ánd remain true to the franchise at the same time.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

SLIGEACH_EIRE

This week's Media Create sales for Japan.

Hardware numbers(last week's sales in brackets):

Switch - 45,083 (39,696)
PS4 - 20,070 (29,392)
Vita - 6,518 (5,017)
PS4 Pro - 6,499 (5,383)
New2DS LL - 6,113 (6,693)
New3DS LL - 4,326 (3,693)
2DS - 901 (850)
Xbox One X - 147 (139)
Xbox One - 117 (135)

Software Charts:

1. [PS4] Monster Hunter World – 38,617 / 1,928,890
2. [NSW] Dragon Quest Builders – 28,430 / NEW
3. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 21,979 / 2,084,324
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 18,828 / 1,382,474
5. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 12,675 / 896,455
6. [PS4] Metal Gear Survive – 12,574 / 43,934
7. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey – 11,667 / 1,637,812
8. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon – 9,930 / 1,576,586
9. [PS4] Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege – Advanced Edition – 8,042 / NEW
10. [PS4] Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match – 7,537 / 53,948
11. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle – 7,097 / 158,322
12. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 9 – 5,733 / 153,367
13. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita no Takarajima – 4,948 / NEW
14. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet – 4,741 / 99,372
15. [NSW] 1-2 Switch – 4,473 / 408,445
16. [3DS] Mario Party: The Top 100 – 4,219 / 170,113
17. [PS4] Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal – 4,086 / 28,204
18. [NSW] ARMS – 3,685 / 376,498
19. [NSW] Bayonetta 2 – 3,428 / 18,403
20. [NSW] Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 – 3,358 / 124,760

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20180307074/

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

NaviAndMii

Azooooz wrote:

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Frame Rate >Gameplay> Art Style > Resolution

Fixed it for you.

Nah, I'm with @Anti-Matter on this one; Gameplay > Art Style > Frame Rate > Resolution

Gameplay is my biggest priority; I have to see that a game has a hook that'll keep me interested - if I'm not feeling it, I likely won't buy it

Art Style is a bigger priority to me than I'd like it to be! For example, as much as I keep being told that Minecraft is a fabulous game, I just can't seem to look past the art style unfortunately

Frame Rate isn't a huge issue for me - I'm quite happy to play a game at 30fps or 60fps, it's only really choppy/unstable frame-rates that bother me (particularly if a game dips jarringly low)

...and I'd barely even consider Resolution to be a factor - unless I see two images side-by-side for direct comparison, I often can't tell whether something is running at 720p, 900p or 1080p (even 4K if I'm being honest) ..I wouldn't want a game to be overly fuzzy, of course - but I don't tend to pay too much attention to what Digital Foundry try to tell me is 'good' or 'bad' in this department - I just let my eyes decide whether it's palatable or not!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

It's happening folks!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Krull

Ha, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 keeps on fighting. Not bad for an 18-month-old port - especially given that people could be playing FighterZ instead. What happened to those sales?

Zelda will get to 1m (Switch) sales in Japan one day...

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic