Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 25,321 to 25,340 of 69,964

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo Would you rather have the PSN Trophy reward scheme that is exclusive to the USA and has you hit thresholds of 100 Silver, 25 Gold or 10 Platinum trophies to add points towards a total, at which point they get added towards another threshold you need to hit of 1000 points total, forgetting that not all games have equal trophies, some don't even have Platinum, all in the name of getting $10, and nothing before you pass these hoops? Oh and of course trophies you own before signup don't count

I mean sure the "crazy sales" are good. But outside of something that isn't even a rewards program, because no, PS+ is NOT a rewards program, you get nothing, you lose, good day sir XD

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

lol I'd much prefer sales like PSN than the embarrassing "customer loyalty" program Nintendo is trying to incentivize digital purchases with. Even if it meant we got no points for anything, the sales would make up for it.

TuVictus

rallydefault

Hrm...

I see both sides.

Some people seem to be ignoring that the eShop has had some pretty awesome sales this year. Now, it's not usually on the 1st-party stuff, but if you're into the indie stuff AT ALL then you've seen some pretty sweet deals crop up on that page that rival anything from Sony and Microsoft, and you didn't have to pay 50 or 60 bucks to have access to those deals this year.

On the other side, I agree with the front-page editorial: Club Nintendo was way better. Getting actual, physical stuff for my points was pretty cool. I have t-shirts, bags, pins, etc. that I got from that program, and those are things that I wear or use pretty frequently - they've gotten a lot of mileage.

But I also see how getting ANY percentage back on a purchase is just generally a nice thing. I've always said consumers these days are spoiled, so there is that, but 5% back on digital purchases is pretty sweet. It's better than nothing. (Here's where said spoiled consumers quote me and accuse me of being fanboy/apologist/Michael Bay/whatever's hip for the moment - 5% IS, literally, better than nothing. If that greases your goose then so be it, but it's a fact. I don't expect companies to give me money back whether it's Nintendo or Whirlpool or gosh-danged Oscar Meyer.)

Ultimate thought: If you think Sony or Microsoft or whatever offer better value, then by all means, take your wallet there. If you think their rewards programs give you more after paying 50-60 bucks for their service, then more power to you. Pretty soon we'll have to pay 20 bucks to Nintendo, so hopefully those eShop sales will spread to cover more 1st-party and large 3rd-party games. But right now, it's literally a completely free thing in that I don't have to pay Nintendo any membership fee to get access to this rebate program or eShop deals, and that's pretty sweet.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Spoony_Tech

rallydefault wrote:

Hrm...

I see both sides.

Some people seem to be ignoring that the eShop has had some pretty awesome sales this year. Now, it's not usually on the 1st-party stuff, but if you're into the indie stuff AT ALL then you've seen some pretty sweet deals crop up on that page that rival anything from Sony and Microsoft, and you didn't have to pay 50 or 60 bucks to have access to those deals this year.

On the other side, I agree with the front-page editorial: Club Nintendo was way better. Getting actual, physical stuff for my points was pretty cool. I have t-shirts, bags, pins, etc. that I got from that program, and those are things that I wear or use pretty frequently - they've gotten a lot of mileage.

But I also see how getting ANY percentage back on a purchase is just generally a nice thing. I've always said consumers these days are spoiled, so there is that, but 5% back on digital purchases is pretty sweet. It's better than nothing. (Here's where said spoiled consumers quote me and accuse me of being fanboy/apologist/Michael Bay/whatever's hip for the moment - 5% IS, literally, better than nothing. If that greases your goose then so be it, but it's a fact. I don't expect companies to give me money back whether it's Nintendo or Whirlpool or gosh-danged Oscar Meyer.)

Ultimate thought: If you think Sony or Microsoft or whatever offer better value, then by all means, take your wallet there. If you think their rewards programs give you more after paying 50-60 bucks for their service, then more power to you. Pretty soon we'll have to pay 20 bucks to Nintendo, so hopefully those eShop sales will spread to cover more 1st-party and large 3rd-party games. But right now, it's literally a completely free thing in that I don't have to pay Nintendo any membership fee to get access to this rebate program or eShop deals, and that's pretty sweet.

Quote of the day and my thoughts exactly.

I'm so sick of the people complaining and yet Nintendo doesn't have to do any of this. I recall getting Oxenfree for $5 and that's the best $5 I've spent in a long time.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

TuVictus

Companies don't have to do a great deal of stuff. Doesn't mean they're free from criticism if people find they do it badly.

TuVictus

Therad

I think it is a mediocre and cumbersome offering. And some stuff are downright bad. Nintendo games don't usually go down in price, but you don't get coins if you buy it 1-2 years after release date? You also need to manually enter you want coins?

These kinds of programs are usually offered to incentivize people to buy more. Would you feel inclined to into a store if they put up a sign that said "1% off on everything in the store"?

And don't get me started on the online sub. That is a 100% rip-off if they use the same multiplayer setup they have at the moment.

Therad

SLIGEACH_EIRE

STUDY FINDS THAT NINTENDO GAMERS ARE LEAST WILLING TO PURCHASE DLC AND ADDITIONAL CONTENT

Untitled

March 2018 – UK gamers are each spending over £450 a year in total on video games, downloadable content and microtransactions, according to new research.

The study, conducted by discount voucher site MyVoucherCodes, found that the average British console gamer is shelling out a whopping £473.401 on games, downloadable content (DLC) - such as additional levels and character enhancements – and virtual currency annually, revealing the changing face of video gaming in the UK.

Whilst the average UK gamer spends roughly £29 per game, they’ll typically spend an additional 50% (£15.46) on extra content that was not included in their initial purchase.

Looking specifically at the big three games console families2 – Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox, Xbox owners were found to spend the most with a total expenditure 40% higher than the national average (£660.76) and 189% more than what Nintendo players are spending (£228.18).

Fans of the Microsoft console came up as the group of gamers most willing to spend, with three in four comfortable purchasing extra downloadable content and three in five open to purchasing often controversial microtransactions.

In contrast, Nintendo gamers were found to be the most sceptical of spending more, with fewer than half of the respondents willing to ever purchase any additional content. Continuing the trend, Nintendo players appear to be the savviest group when looking for cheaper deals, spending an average of £21 per game, £12 less than Xbox owners (£33) and £8 less than PlayStation owners (£29) – surprising considering RRPs for each game per platform is comparable.

Untitled

The research also reveals what the profile of the average UK gamer may look like – over half of gamers surveyed admitted that they choose which console to purchase solely based on family and friends, while a third stated that they make their decision based on graphics and console performance. Surprisingly, game exclusivity per platform was only a factor for a quarter of respondents.

While 34% of men stated that their favourite genre of game was sport and 28% of women disclosed a preference for puzzle games, action and adventure games topped the list for both genders. Women were found to dispel the myth that video games are a male-dominated hobby, with 13% spending over £100 on games compared to 14% of men.

Regionally, Northern Irish gamers are the biggest spenders, with a substantial 30% admitting to spending between £150-£200 a year compared to just 9% of Londoners and 16% of Scots. Interestingly, the North East of the UK appears to be the hotbed of British gaming with 13% spending over £200 a year on video game related purchases.

Chris Reilly, Managing Director of MyVoucherCodes commented: “It is interesting to see how gamers on different platforms approach their spending differently. For parents who may be looking to introduce their kids to video games, they may want to look to consoles that are shown to encourage the least additional spending.”

Source: PR email

https://gonintendo.com/stories/303672-study-finds-that-ninten...

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendoforlife

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Well of course, because we haven't been exposed to large quantities of it the last few generations. It's not seen as something everyone automatically takes part in, and thus few decide to. Either that or the DLC we've been getting sucks.

Nintendoforlife

Haruki_NLI

"over half of gamers surveyed admitted that they choose which console to purchase solely based on family and friends, while a third stated that they make their decision based on graphics and console performance. Surprisingly, game exclusivity per platform was only a factor for a quarter of respondents.
While 34% of men stated that their favourite genre of game was sport and 28% of women disclosed a preference for puzzle games, action and adventure games topped the list for both genders."

And to the surprise of no one, this is one of many reasons Nintendo flops here.

We are spec addicts, and peer pressure is real.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

One Of Kojima's Favorite Games Is Coming To Nintendo Switch Soon
Framed and Framed 2 are heading to the Switch in 2018.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/one-of-kojimas-favorite-gam...

FRAMED Collection Nintendo Switch Trailer

Never heard of it before myself, but it looks interesting. Reviews for both seem solid.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/framed 85%

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/framed-2 87%

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Spoony_Tech

^^Very rare for a sequel to get a higher Metacritic rating. ^^

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

bluemage1989

I'm curious to see where Oh Sir... The Insult Simulator stands in the charts soon. Think about it a lot of gamers recently just received £2-£3 of eshop credit and there is very little of that price on the eshop let alone that is decent.

bluemage1989

IceClimbers

Payday 2 entered the US eShop best sellers chart

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Aozz101x

@IceClimbers that's great to hear! i hope they consider bringing Payday 3 to the switch someday.

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

Therad

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

One Of Kojima's Favorite Games Is Coming To Nintendo Switch Soon
Framed and Framed 2 are heading to the Switch in 2018.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/one-of-kojimas-favorite-gam...

FRAMED Collection Nintendo Switch Trailer

Never heard of it before myself, but it looks interesting. Reviews for both seem solid.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/framed 85%

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/framed-2 87%

That looks awesome. But I probably just buy it on my phone. It seems perfect for touchscreen.

Therad

Therad

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

STUDY FINDS THAT NINTENDO GAMERS ARE LEAST WILLING TO PURCHASE DLC AND ADDITIONAL CONTENT

Untitled

March 2018 – UK gamers are each spending over £450 a year in total on video games, downloadable content and microtransactions, according to new research.

The study, conducted by discount voucher site MyVoucherCodes, found that the average British console gamer is shelling out a whopping £473.401 on games, downloadable content (DLC) - such as additional levels and character enhancements – and virtual currency annually, revealing the changing face of video gaming in the UK.

Whilst the average UK gamer spends roughly £29 per game, they’ll typically spend an additional 50% (£15.46) on extra content that was not included in their initial purchase.

Looking specifically at the big three games console families2 – Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox, Xbox owners were found to spend the most with a total expenditure 40% higher than the national average (£660.76) and 189% more than what Nintendo players are spending (£228.18).

Fans of the Microsoft console came up as the group of gamers most willing to spend, with three in four comfortable purchasing extra downloadable content and three in five open to purchasing often controversial microtransactions.

In contrast, Nintendo gamers were found to be the most sceptical of spending more, with fewer than half of the respondents willing to ever purchase any additional content. Continuing the trend, Nintendo players appear to be the savviest group when looking for cheaper deals, spending an average of £21 per game, £12 less than Xbox owners (£33) and £8 less than PlayStation owners (£29) – surprising considering RRPs for each game per platform is comparable.

Untitled

The research also reveals what the profile of the average UK gamer may look like – over half of gamers surveyed admitted that they choose which console to purchase solely based on family and friends, while a third stated that they make their decision based on graphics and console performance. Surprisingly, game exclusivity per platform was only a factor for a quarter of respondents.

While 34% of men stated that their favourite genre of game was sport and 28% of women disclosed a preference for puzzle games, action and adventure games topped the list for both genders. Women were found to dispel the myth that video games are a male-dominated hobby, with 13% spending over £100 on games compared to 14% of men.

Regionally, Northern Irish gamers are the biggest spenders, with a substantial 30% admitting to spending between £150-£200 a year compared to just 9% of Londoners and 16% of Scots. Interestingly, the North East of the UK appears to be the hotbed of British gaming with 13% spending over £200 a year on video game related purchases.

Chris Reilly, Managing Director of MyVoucherCodes commented: “It is interesting to see how gamers on different platforms approach their spending differently. For parents who may be looking to introduce their kids to video games, they may want to look to consoles that are shown to encourage the least additional spending.”

Source: PR email

https://gonintendo.com/stories/303672-study-finds-that-ninten...

I think this study is flawed in some way. If I remember correctly, the software tie-ratio for PS4 is somewhere between 6-8. It would be way higher if people buy 9 games a year. My guess is that the survey was conducted on a voluntary basis on myVoucherCodes customers, this means it is probably skewed. It is hard to make good statistics, there are many pitfalls.

With that said, Nintendo users have historically had less options to buy DLC.

Edit: ps4 has 8.7 in tie ratio as of dec. It is still far to low if people buy 9 games a year.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Peek-a-boo

Therad wrote:

That looks awesome. But I probably just buy it on my phone. It seems perfect for touchscreen.

@Therad The first game was actually one of my favourite games of the year when it came out, back in 2014, irrespective of it being on an iOS device.

The first Framed has a better story and a slightly easier/simpler gameplay mechanics (within the frames), whereas the sequel is pure gameplay and has lots of different ideas during each storyboard as opposed to the mostly one idea nature of the original. The climax of Framed 2 is crazy good fun!

They are both worth playing however, one is more about the (charming) story while the other is purely a burst of different gameplay ideas with a smaller scale story on the side.

Here’s hoping they are a reasonable price... £8.99 or £9.99 seems right to me.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Haruki_NLI

@shaneoh Well yeah, but I know for kids, from experience, peer pressure is huge. Back when I was in school: "WHy are you playing Pokemon, what are you gay?"

Genuine quote and yes I am but I fail to see how they correlate XD

On that note I wonder what its like nowadays. Back then, mid 2000s, it was play CoD or other M rated stuff, or you're a....pick a word that's homophobic.

Octane

shaneoh wrote:

YummyHappyPills wrote:

We are spec addicts, and peer pressure is real.

Only for the weak willed

The irony is that even though many people claim that the most important thing in video games is graphics, the percentage of PS4 Pros sold of total PS4 sales is only around 20% I believe. If graphics were that important, why didn't they invest in a PS4 Pro? Heck, scrap that, why didn't they invest in a beefy PC?

One of my friends bought Assassin's Creed Origins, and I asked him why he bought the game (this isn't a jab at the game by the way). He told me because it had good graphics. When I asked him what he would think of the game if the gameplay was terrible or if it ran terrible, he said it wouldn't be a good game. So I don't think that many people truly believe that ''good graphics'' is the number one thing a video game should have. I think they say that because it's an easy answer. Because it's easier to explain why a game looks good than to explain the gameplay. Or maybe because that's what the big publishers and media outlets have been shouting for the past decade or so.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic