Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 2,341 to 2,360 of 70,011

IceClimbers

@DefHalan It's not about the benefits of not having those 3rd party games. You're missing the point completely. The point is that it makes zero sense to go after those games because it's ultimately a losing battle they'll never win.

People ALREADY have a platform for those games. They're not going to switch to Nintendo for those games. Makes zero sense to do that. If they release a system designed for those games, what are they left with when those 3rd parties inevitably jump ship because their games are selling like ****?

They're left with an overpriced console with games meant for an alternative secondary console. That has no appeal whatsoever.

In order to get those big western 3rd parties to not jump ship, Nintendo would have to pay up. Oh, this game didn't sell well? Guess what, the next port just went up in price. Nintendo would be hemorrhaging millions just to get garbage selling ports in order to compete. It would take years for Nintendo to reverse their situation. Nintendo may have a huge warchest, but it's nowhere near enough to keep up with Sony and Microsoft. It's a battle they can't win.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

DefHalan

@Lzeon But the NX, with it being a portable console and having a console mode, is Nintendo half assing both. I would rather they have one machine for portable and one machine for home.

@IceClimbers Nintendo wouldn't have to pay for pirts if their machine was as easy to port to as PS4 to XB1. With Nintendo not having their machine easy to support (compared to the other two) they would have to pay for the ports they want. Nintendo trying to develop enough software for a broad audience while not having major 3rd party content is going to be difficult.

The NX is rumored to be above Wii U power which means more resources for 1 system, if we are lucky that will lead to twice as much 1st party content than the Wii U had, but will that be enough fo a Nintendo only machine? It wasn't for Wii U. Nintendo is betting everything on this one system, if they can't succeed then what is going to happen? Nintendo is playing a dangerous game, and we have seen what happens when they expect people to buy their systems just for Nintendo software.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

dtjive

Hell of a lot of assumptions going on around here. It sits uncomfortable with me that people appear to be assuming nx failure as it won't have enough content before we even know what the thing is.

And there's also a prevalent assumption that Nintendo first party games >>>> other first party games. Remember this is a Nintendo forum and whilst that may be the view we hold, it may not necessarily be the view everyone holds.

On another note, i think it's being made out as too simple of how to secure third party titles and subsequent install bases. Nintendo would first need to convince developers to come back, presumably before the gamers have (because they won't come back without these games apparently). That is likely going to require Nintendo offering very good deals to developers meaning they derive less earnings from the third party games. And then that's not even a guarantee to bring fresh installers anyway. Thus it doesn't appear to be a highly profitable strategy in the short term.

Of course if people on here are 'right' and there's loads of closet Nintendo fans waiting in the wings then they'll want the system for the Nintendo games, not the third party games (that they already can play). As such if first party titles are so important to convincing gamers, it's makes more sense to figure out a way to provide more fp content to your system. The nx appears to be that solution.

dtjive

Octane

@Lzeon It kinda does actually. Let's say the NX is too expensive as a concept. Handheld gamers won't buy it because of its price and console users aren't too fond of the streaming as a replacement for a home console idea. What if the NX sells Wii U numbers? That's a pretty big risk. I'd argue that it'd be far more beneficial to support two systems. In case one fails, there's always another one to fall back on. That way you can also appeal to both groups and develop a device that suits the market. The NX seems to want to be both things, and I'm not sure if it's going to be as good as either one could've been if they were separate systems. Sony doesn't need the handheld market, because they sell other devices as well; Nintendo doesn't.

@IceClimbers Gamers on the internet may be very loyal to a certain company, but many people don't really care as long as they can play the games they want to play. Last gen the X360 and PS3 sold more than 160 million units combined. Currently we're somewhere in between 60 and 70 million people that own a PS4 or XOne. Even if we ignore the Wii's userbase, that's still around 100 million potential gamers that have not upgraded yet (or haven't bought a second system in case of overlap).

When games like GTA V sell around 40 million copies, or when FIFA still sells more than 10 million copies each year, easily, then it's never a bad thing to have those games appear on your console. When you say that people are loyal to a brand, you forget that there's plenty of people that freely move between Sony and Microsoft each gen; there's no reason why Nintendo can't be a part of that too. Problem is that Nintendo never even has tried to compete with Sony or Microsoft. Ever since the competition started, Nintendo opted for some backwards thing that would make it more difficult for other developers to sell their games on Nintendo's systems. That's the big problem here; and it doesn't look like the NX is going to adress any of that.

Octane

LzWinky

DefHalan wrote:

@Lzeon But the NX, with it being a portable console and having a console mode, is Nintendo half assing both. I would rather they have one machine for portable and one machine for home

As opposed to two separate systems? Okay, look at the Wii U. You get my point now?

@Octane: Or an option would be to sell the handheld as the "base", make the console add-on separate, and have a discounted option where the whole package is included. Japan would probably eat up the handheld part while America would want the whole package. Now Nintendo has to be willing to sell at a loss though to appeal to both markets.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

But the NX, with it being a portable console and having a console mode, is Nintendo half assing both. I would rather they have one machine for portable and one machine for home.

If anything what has been rumoured is a VERY impressive portable. And it's not like the rumoured specs would be that underwhelming as a home console. It won't be a PS4 clone but it's not going to be that far behind. If the rumoured specs are even partially correct? This will be the first portable where playing current-gen games is entirely possible.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LzWinky

Okay, how about this? If Nintendo releases the device as both, then there will be more games on it and no one will have to be mad that games are on the other device.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

WebHead

@Lzeon I think that's part of the point. Nintendo not having to split their resources anymore, allowing for a steady stream of Nintendo games.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

WebHead

@Lzeon tbh I don't think Nintendo has ever cared about multiplats and platform parity.

WebHead

DefHalan

skywake wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

But the NX, with it being a portable console and having a console mode, is Nintendo half assing both. I would rather they have one machine for portable and one machine for home.

If anything what has been rumoured is a VERY impressive portable. And it's not like the rumoured specs would be that underwhelming as a home console. It won't be a PS4 clone but it's not going to be that far behind. If the rumoured specs are even partially correct? This will be the first portable where playing current-gen games is entirely possible.

If the NX is in fact a very impressive portable, then it will just make me wonder what a "very impressive" home console could be from Nintendo and what kind of experiences it could deliver that the portable can't, or at least can't do as well. We also have two machines in 2017 that are going to push the bar further, they will be limited in how far they can oush for a while but those limits will disappear faster than Nintendo can replace their "very impressive" portable, so I don't think it will be likely the NX will get much big 3rd Party content.

Grumblevolcano

@DefHalan 1 of those machines are released this year so Nintendo's already got a gigantic uphill battle. Powerful home console and VR vs. a powerful handheld that provides a home console experience similar to the worst selling Nintendo console.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Frostyboy

But there not competing with Sony or Microsoft. If the NX rumours are right then this is the successor to the 3DS not the Wii U and the 3DS had 3rd party support. Stop comparing it to the Playstaion and Xbox

Swopped my Saga master system for my friend NES and iv never look back.

Miitomo - http://twitter.com/@Frostyboy

Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@Frostyboy But unless Nintendo properly markets the NX in this way (focus on the handheld functionality and not the home functionality) everyone will compare to PS4/XB1/Neo/Scorpio. Don't forget that Nintendo's poor marketing of the Wii U made it commonly thought of as a Wii add-on rather than a console successor.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Frostyboy

Reggie Fils-Aime @E3 2015 wrote:

We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console [NX] and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later.

Don't blame us. Nintendo is phasing out the Wii U. The NX is getting at least one Wii U port and Nintendo is the one trying to pass this off as a home console. So yes, I think comparisons with other home consoles are quite reasonable here.

Octane

Frostyboy

@Grumblevolcano your right Nintendo handle the Wii U and the 3DS badly lets hope they have learned there lesson. but we haven't see anything yet from Nintendo this whole rumour could be wrong. All we know is the rumour Says it's a handheld so we should be comparing it too.

@octane we have no idea if Reggie was meant to say that or if the whole concept of the NX has changed since then and the 3ds had Wii U ports.

Swopped my Saga master system for my friend NES and iv never look back.

Miitomo - http://twitter.com/@Frostyboy

Twitter:

DefHalan

I am really hoping this rumor is wrong

IceClimbers

@DefHalan The Eurogamer one? Considering how many places are backing up these claims, it's looking pretty real.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

-Green-

Well, to be fair. It's not unlike people to lie their little butts off with things such as these. Especially news sites.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

WebHead

@DefHalan considering the places backing it's looking pretty legit.

WebHead

WebHead

@BiasedSonyFan like I said I don't think Nintendo has ever, ever cared about multiplats and platform parity.

WebHead

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic