Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 16,021 to 16,040 of 70,026

-Green-

It's kind of weird how the moment Gamexplain posted a video on ARMS, the first comments that pop up are people saying that the game is dead and Splatoon killed it. I wonder why it seems that people do this a lot.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Yasaal

@-Green- Because it's the truth? I was among those who was planning on getting ARMS but moved over to Splatoon due to their short time frame difference and the fact that Splatoon is a recognised brand at this stage.

Currently Watching: Psycho-Pass

Currently Playing: -

My Nintendo: Yasaal | Nintendo Network ID: Yasaal | Twitter:

Ralizah

@-Green- It's a meme right now, so people are doing their part, unconsciously or consciously, to propagate it. Online communication seems to encourage hivemindy behavior from a lot of people for whatever reason. You'll see ideas, phrases, judgments, etc. catch on and spread like wildfire, and then promptly disappear once the time has come to propagate the next fashionable meme. It's kind of fascinating to watch.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TuVictus

Unfortunately it must be somewhat true. Splatoon is a much more outwardly seeming complex game, with multiple modes and events constantly taking news headers. ARMS' complexity isn't as obvious, though it's there, and to be honest it doesn't have nearly as interesting as a world or gameplay as far as modes go.

So naturally all the Switch owners that are buying the games each month have mostly moved on. I hope their upcoming updates for arms breathes new life into it.

TuVictus

KirbyTheVampire

I don't know why anyone expected ARMS to be able to compete with Splatoon 2. At this point, Splatoon is one of Nintendo's bigger IPs, and ARMS is a complete newcomer, with less content and depth to boot.

KirbyTheVampire

Yasaal

@KirbyTheVampire My sentiments exactly. Being a new IP, ARMS had minimal exposure and very less time to market itself as much as Splatoon 2

Currently Watching: Psycho-Pass

Currently Playing: -

My Nintendo: Yasaal | Nintendo Network ID: Yasaal | Twitter:

GrailUK

Sky Rider is on the coming soon page in eShop. I am probably getting my hopes up but it has a Sega vibe to it (Planet Harrier).

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

meleebrawler

Remember when the first Splatoon was also heavily criticized for being light on content?

I play Splatoon 2 more than ARMs at the moment for a very simple reason... the former has a level-up system that gives you more stuff to play with, and ARMs doesn't. But I still appreciate the latter for being less demanding progression-wise, as well as taking a break from unreliable teammates.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

IceClimbers

This "Splatoon 2 killed ARMS" talk?

Yeah that right there is why Nintendo isn't releasing a Smash port this year. That actually would kill ARMS (and Pokken).

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

-Green-

Yasaal wrote:

@-Green- Because it's the truth? I was among those who was planning on getting ARMS but moved over to Splatoon due to their short time frame difference and the fact that Splatoon is a recognised brand at this stage.

Maybe a loss in appeal, but not dead. I'd imagine they share some audience in the Ninty people and early adopters but I'd say they're different enough to be for different people.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

meleebrawler

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

I don't know why anyone expected ARMS to be able to compete with Splatoon 2. At this point, Splatoon is one of Nintendo's bigger IPs, and ARMS is a complete newcomer, with less content and depth to boot.

Is that saying all fighters have less depth than team-based shooters by default? (Not to be confused with content). Honest question.

Edited on by meleebrawler

gcunit

FWIW, I haven't bought Splatoon 2 because I have ARMS, and MK8D. Splatoon 2 didn't do enough to differentiate it from the Wii U version, whereas ARMS is totally unique.

So yeah, in my little world at least, ARMS killed Splatoon 2.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haruki_NLI

@gcunit So legitimate question. Do you play Overwatch, Rocket League, DOTA2, anything with a multiplayer focus?

When they eventually get sequels (which is unlikely as they dont need to move to new hardware but go with it for a moment) how much do you think they could change in terms of gameplay?

The answer is not a lot as that is what these multiplayer focused games live and die on. A hypothetical Overwatch 2 wouldnt stray far because that would be a hige risk and if you change too much there is the potential alienation which in a community focused game that lives when it has users, you dont want that.

Its not like a single player game where there is no community and you can do whatever in a sequel. Its not a curse of Splatoon, its a curse of the genre. Its why most of them are endless DLC Trains.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

DarkRula

I've got both, but you can bet the most I'll ever spend on Splatoon 2 is during Splatfests.
ARMS for me is a more solo-focused experience, so that's probably going to get more play generally.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

gcunit

@BLP_Software I don't generally get involved in online multiplayer focused games. I bought Splatoon 1 because it was well priced and unique. I bought Rocket League only recently because it was on sale (and unique), but I've only had one play session. I don't have the freedom to get deeply into online multiplayer communities.

Mario Kart 8 and ARMS are different to me as they hold just as much value, probably more, to me in their offline modes.

Plus Mario Kart 8 is life.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

KirbyTheVampire

@meleebrawler Not really. There's a degree of skill and strategy in both. I wouldn't say I've played enough of either genre to say that one has, on average, more depth than the other, but it just seems to me like Splatoon 2 has more depth than ARMS. That's just my opinion, and I could be totally wrong because I don't own the game, and only played it during the Testpunch.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

meleebrawler

@KirbyTheVampire Well, for one thing, ARMS lets you change your loadout in between matches while Splatoon doesn't .

At face value ARMS's depth seems light compared to other fighter's due to a relative lack of moves... until you consider each set of arms act as them, and they can be customized once unlocked. There's also the matter of stages influencing battles to a greater degree than most, second only to Smash in that regard.

Triforce_power

I'm kind of dissappointed that people here aren't believing what I leaked. I was quite excited by the opportunity to be the one to leak the big news. On the other hand, the fact that people aren't believing it makes me feel more special for the fact that I know about it.

For those who don't believe me, I suspect that some of you just see the title or the first few sentences of the post, and just imagine Link holding a badminton racket, which I doubt Nintendo would have approved of. But my friend told me that there are no rackets. Link uses his sword as one, as the idea is comes from certain boss battles in which Link would reflect the boss's projectile with his sword. This is already a recurring thing in Legend of Zelda, for those that haven't played them.

MegaTen wrote:

Nintendo-related leaks of this scale don't really happen. They are extraordinary secretive,

You know that it takes actual people to make video games, right? My friend is one of those people. They spend time at work, but then they get to leave work and do their own thing; just like you & me. Although Nintendo doesn't want the general public to know about upcoming games until they officially announce them, the people making the games need to know what they're making. The developers are expected to not tell any outsiders about the game, but sometimes people such as my friend here decide it's alright just to tell one person. I guess he figured that nothing will happen if he just told me, but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to leak it out. I don't think anything bad will happen to him though, as they'll never know who it was that leaked it out.

I'm curious to know more about the game myself. I'm going to see my friend tonight again, before he flies home tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be willing to tell me more. But fortunately I'm rather skilled in this.

Triforce_power

Archer-bro

I'm actually quite excited about Hyrule Breakneck Badminton. It sounds fun.

I don't understand all the skepticism toward this leak. Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo's most successful franchises, so it makes sense that they would want to milk money from it the way they've been doing with Mario for a long time. While I'm surprised that they didn't do it long ago, it's now a good time for it (business-wise) since Zelda is popular again with BotW. Back when Mario was nothing but a platform game, I'm sure that Mario Kart and sports games would appear just as weird.

Also, it sound like they're simply expanding on an idea that's already been done in the Zelda series. For those of you who never finished Ocarina of Time, check out this video, and skip 2 minutes in. You can see that the battle actually kind-of resembles a game of badminton, or some kind of net sport.

FragRed wrote:

Nintendo already has a Mario tennis franchise which would scratch that itch should they wish to include Zelda characters into future instalments.

But they don't have a Mario Tennis installment for every console. I guess they're just trying something else for a change to make it new, as they're not limited to Mario power-ups & other Mario tropes. And anyway, under that logic why would Arms come out when they already have Punch-Out?

While Nintendo has traditionally liked to use Mario for light-hearted multiplayer games like the sports stuff, maybe they're trying to end that with the Switch, and experiment with spin-offs of other franchises. In fact, the Wii U already had many non-Mario spin-offs, so this would just be a continuation of that trend. Also, given how popular Breath of the Wild is on Switch, Link might as well be the new Mario.

Archer-bro

OorWullie

" You know that it takes actual people to make video games, right?"

Sorry but that's where your story falls apart. Humans do not make Nintendo games. Pikmin and Toads do under the watchful eye of Master Miyamoto-san,the creative deity.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic